Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 1:58 am

what if the whole world winds up knowing about AS and it's common thign? now i'm scared, and i'm not sure why. What if it becomes one of those things like retardation where people go "stop being ret*d" but instead "stop acting like you have aspergers."

I'm freaking out, and i'm really not sure why, well actually i am. it's because when on google the drop down results thing has all these results for as and different things related to AS.

GodsGadfly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2008, 2:05 am

Are you saying you're worried that Asperger's will become an insult?

I doubt it, because "ret*d" is the insult that usually applies to autistics, anyway.

People who use the term "ret*d" don't say, "Oh, that's so Down's." They just use the generic term "ret*d.' It's rare to see an actual clinical name used in an insult form.

I'm sick of mental illness in general being used as a club to control people.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 2:06 am

the worse would be that admitedly-funny ASSBURGERS joke

that and asspies!

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 2:07 am

Warsie wrote:

that and asspies!

which joke? I've never found any of them funny. They feel off-putting to me.

NextFact
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2008, 4:25 am

Warsie wrote:

that and asspies!

if someone made a joke like that to me i would shoot them in the chest

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 5:49 am

GodsGadfly wrote:
Are you saying you're worried that Asperger's will become an insult?

I doubt it, because "ret*d" is the insult that usually applies to autistics, anyway.

People who use the term "ret*d" don't say, "Oh, that's so Down's." They just use the generic term "ret*d.' It's rare to see an actual clinical name used in an insult form.

I'm sick of mental illness in general being used as a club to control people.

ACTUALLY, most of the people I thought were ret*d in a PHYSICAL way obviously WERE! They didn't have autism. As for the others? Well, 70%+ of the world doesn't have autism!

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 9:39 am

if anyone decides to disrespect you for ur AS kick the crap out of em then they will fear all aspies muahahahahaha!! !!

rekoil
Raven
Raven

15 Sep 2008, 10:19 am

Your fears are not completely irrational. Up until a few days ago I would have said that Asperger's is too obscure for most people to reference offhand, but I actually had it happen to me. It was an opportunity to educate somebody, though.

We were talking about vision, and I ended up saying way too much about a topic that apparently nobody else was as interested in. One of the guys that heard me said, "Dude, what are you a f*ckin' Aspie?" I was silent for the rest of the time, but later when I got the chance to talk to him alone I told him that yes, I am.

I got to explain what AS is and clear up a couple things for him. Now there is one less AS ignorant person in the world.

Also, a comment like that one is what led me to find Wrong Planet in the first place. Somebody in the bodybuilding.com forum made a reference to another user being an Aspie. I sat back and thought for a bit. Well, that would make pretty good sense, wouldn't it. So I googled "Aspies in bodybuilding" and the first link was to a post in the health and fitness section here.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 11:00 am

"Oh, stop being such an Aspie!"

Naaahh ... there is already a similar term associated with the rectal opening. Calling someone an Aspie won't catch on.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 11:42 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
it's because when on google the drop down results thing has all these results for as and different things related to AS.

I think that the ads on Google reflect the content of what you use it for, and possibly what other sites you navigate to as well. For example, I notice that when I use gmail, the ads that appear always have to do with words used in the email I'm sending and/or receiving.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 12:22 pm

Geek and nerdy are already used as insults ....so it's not a surprise if AS will be used as insult too.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 12:30 pm

rekoil wrote:
We were talking about vision, and I ended up saying way too much about a topic that apparently nobody else was as interested in. One of the guys that heard me said, "Dude, what are you a f*ckin' Aspie?" I was silent for the rest of the time, but later when I got the chance to talk to him alone I told him that yes, I am.

I got to explain what AS is and clear up a couple things for him. Now there is one less AS ignorant person in the world.

I had something similar happen about a week ago with a good friend, actually!! We were talking in general terms about mental illnesses/disorders/etc - a friend is getting into teaching special ed - and she said "Gosh, I find Asperger's really fascinating actually, I'd love to know how they see the world". I thought right, that's a good opening, so said "Well uhm, I could tell you if you want but it's really not that interesting...". She kinda stopped what she was doing and looked at me for a few moments then went "Oh wow! Really? I wouldn't have guessed but actually, it makes sense with you.." It was really nice, we had a good talk about it and now she wants to get into education as well!

I've always been too scared to tell people because I'm scared they'll start judging me on it and treat me differently, or else assume I'm like Rain Man (which I'm blatantly not) or make me do maths. And I really, really, really can't do maths. Lately though I've told a few of my closest friends and been a bit more open about it and it's gone really well, I haven't had any bad reactions at all. Maybe people aren't as closed-minded as I'd assume on it.