Page 6 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

05 Apr 2011, 10:28 am

*subscribes*

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 11:10 am

pensieve wrote:
Doctor's will always start people on the lowest possible dose.

Wow, that's pretty naive. My doctors rarely did that when I was in the psych system, I got put on a whole slew of meds that made me very sick, some of them nearly killed me, and they certainly never started me on the lowest dose. You can't generalize about the intentions and competence of all doctors, particularly in the psych system where a lot of terrible things happen, people on high doses of three neuroleptics at once, etc.

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2011, 11:37 am

I don't have Schizophrenia but I used to be very paranoid as a child. I used to be scared of certain things like chairs and toilets and thought they were following me and had nightmares about them.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 2:08 pm

I have Schizophrenia, or at least that is what a Dr says I have. I have had auditory and visual hallucinations. They normally kick in when I am extremely tired. Shadows move, everything may start to have a wavy bubbly look to it, I might see speckles of light, and at worst (or sometimes best as it is interesting) faces and figures may emerge from the shadows. Everyone can see faces in things but the things I can see can become extremely visual.

It is more likely to happen when i am, in bed either drifting to sleep or jsut woken up. the parts of my brain which cause this are most easy to access when we are semi concious.

i also have auditory hallucinations occasionally, which can just be the sound of a door knocking, or a phone ringing.

i have, after using drugs had more interesting experiences.

I've had a similar experience. I was at a rave in a forest drinking lots and taking high quality ecstasy pills, then when I got back home and after being awake for a day and a half, when I closed my eyes I could see white figures in the shape of people but without too much detail. They were all dancing having a good time. It reminded me of the rave in the forest I was at so much.

I also discovered that with my eyes shut, I could look about and look up and see stars. Then I thought, "wonder if I can walk about?" So I stood up and I could walk across my living room with my eyes shut and be walking amongst all these people dancing outside in the dark.

On another occasion, also induced by high quality Ecstasy pills and alcohol plus sleep deprivation, I had pretty much the same experience except I was in a night club (well at home but i could see inside of a night club) and this time the figures had more detail. i could distinguish the faces, see the DJ, see the bar, see colourful lights, see the dance floor and everything. With my eyes shut I could look at the roof, walk around and everything. Totally amazing.

My question is for anyone who has an interest in the power of the mind, am I insane or silly? lol I feel completely in control of myself but do love the idea of exploring the limits of the imagination. I have planned to get my hands on some DMT in future.

Libelula85
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Apr 2011, 10:01 am

Asperger, schizophrenia. Evils
arising from industrial society.

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 6:01 pm

Libelula85 wrote:
Asperger, schizophrenia. Evils
arising from industrial society.

Asperger, Schizophrenia, keeping the world interesting. =)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 6:36 pm

- wrote:
That's odd that you were diagnosed with both, I thought one of the diagnostic criteria for Asperger's is that it can't be schizophrenia.

Well the two can exist together I am pretty sure.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 2:10 am

I was under the impression that schizophrenia is a degenerative condition and gets worse throughout life. But AS is not degenerative.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 3:00 am

Robdemanc wrote:
I was under the impression that schizophrenia is a degenerative condition and gets worse throughout life. But AS is not degenerative.

I think it gets worse if you do nothing about it, but I do not think it is always garanteed to get worse, I guess I would have to go look up more on both and see what it says. I think As can also get worse, depending on various factors.

Veilmenacex
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2015, 1:36 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I am not diagnosed with schizophrenia. I have never had any kind of hallucinations but I have had paranoia. I guess they would share some traits because it involves genetics and the brain.
I think paranoia is the biproduct of a brain that is different in some way because so many disorders that affect the brain share this trait. Everybody probably already knows this.
I would be happy if I never experienced the paranoid state ever again, it's so uncomfortable.

You don't paranoia please don't say you do. I thought I had paranoia too but under very close examination and being able to articulate the paranoid delusions or paranoid ideations in detail to Dr. Diane Watson MD, RPCPC that works in Brockville/Ottawa Ontario Canada she said it was "overthinking"

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 3:38 pm

pandd wrote:
Symptoms of delusions are "positive" symptoms. If enough "negative" symptoms are present, and there is clear evidence of clinically significant mal-adaptivity, plus a few things that might be construed as delusional (such as the notion that people are picking on you, or are all "in on" information/communicating information to which you are not aware and excluded from) in the context of negative symptoms being present and the absence of any other clinical explanation, then it's all too easy for someone to be misdiagnosed.

Some people with ASDs are very suggestible and socially passive. If they are told something enough, by people they perceive as authoritative (in terms of knowledge), then they can begin to believe what they are told. From being placed on hard core drugs, to being told one is suffering delusions of belief, and often perceptual/sensory hallucination (for instance the delusion that particular stimulus is painful being interpreted by medical professionals and explained to the patient as sensory hallucination), and that they have a degenerative condition that may or may not be sufficiently controlled by the medications to prevent further delusions or hallucinations, they might believe that they are experiencing hallucinations. They might, with enough leading, develop powerful fantasies in which they over-interpret mere ideas and thoughts as actual visual or audio hallucinations (indeed they may misunderstand the literal quality of real hallucinations as a result of over-compensation for over-literal interpretation).

Additionally, people with ASDs can develop transitory stress related psychosis, and if being medicated with powerful drugs one does not need, and pyscho-educated into believing one has a severe oten degenerative mental illness, does not constitute stress, what exactly would?

Knowledge about ASDs is not particularly pervasive in the medical field, including in psychiatry. Arguably, it is silly to suggest people with ASDs were not receiving mental health services prior to 1994, and to this day, many in psychiatry would not recognize an ASD if their (verbal) patient walked into their office proclaiming it.

People with ASDs in the main do superficially appear to have some psychiatric issue if their ASD is ignored (in the context of psychiatric evaluation), because in the main we present with what superficially appears as psychiatric symptoms. I do not know of any comprehensive attempt to identify these people within the psychiatric patient population, and many no doubt are currently misdiagnosed, mis-medicated, and without any prospect of the quality of life they could obtain in the absence of unnecessary and counter-productive "treatment" for non-existent mental illness.

The limited research in this area is led by the UK, and the evidence is that such persons are currently in the mental health system. One report on such research went so far as state directly that it had found patients who were committed to special hospitals with psychiatric diagnoses, because their underlying ASD had been misdiagnosed (with consequential lack of appropriate support and imposition of harmful interventions).

Sorry for the necrobump but this feels like you were writing about me , very interesting thread & post , thankyou

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard