I hate religious people, why is that a problem?

Page 4 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 11:09 am

Dogbrain wrote:
Ishmael wrote:
I'm serious here. I'm honest enough with myself to know I hate the religious. I can't help it; the religious perspective is in stark contrast to my own.

In other words, you're a bigot and a hatemonger, morally identical to Islamicist jihadists.

No, knee-jerker, no.
I would not subject religious people to degradation; I merely state my mind.
I would not rally others to believe as I do; I merely state my mind.
I hold morals as identified by physical and natural law. I would not blow people up for thinking different.

But, though you fail to realize, you prove my point.

Sling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2008, 12:15 pm

In my experience, walking up to someone and saying "I hate you! And I hate the things you like!" is probably the least productive thing to say to anyone. Ever.

It depends, do you go around telling people you hate religious folk or do you only tell people who ask? Becuase if it is the latter than I don't really see a problem, I mean they are asking you for your opinion. I generally think that hating anyone is out of line, but that is just my opinion.

Ishmael wrote:
No, knee-jerker, no.
Making presuppositions is also not very productive. "Before you attack the gazebo, find out what it is".

Pleas note, I am not "having a go" or anything, I'm trying to have a reasoned debated.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 12:43 pm

Sling, it's the latter. I only tell it to their face if they say I'll burn in hell for not doing as their two thousand/three thousand/fifteen hundred, etc., year old books say. So long as they keep it in their pants, fine.

As for the knee-jerker remark; previous experiences with dogbrain, adding to that his suggestion of bigotry - likely without bothring to read all posts in full - prompted the comment.

This thread may have been a bad idea; an attempt to suggest that the mentality I have encountered that it is wrong to hate and tolerate religions, that I should instead "change my thinking" and like them, is in itself wrong.
Instead, I've mostly had to defend against religious attacks - few even care about the question.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 5:35 pm

Ishmael wrote:
Instead, I've mostly had to defend against religious attacks - few even care about the question.

I already answered your question on the first page.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 5:58 pm

No one is going to legitimize your brand of hate, Ishmael. No one is going to sympathize with you, either. If declared my personal hatred of transsexuals, I wouldn't be very popular with WrongPlanet members.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 6:36 pm

Not to mention Autism Speaks's declaration of our wayof life as a blight upon their "perfect" NT society. Hence, why they're not that popular with us...

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 7:08 pm

@ToadOfSteel, I'm always so impressed with your avatars, especially since you create them yourself.

Ishmael wrote:
This thread may have been a bad idea; an attempt to suggest that the mentality I have encountered that it is wrong to hate and tolerate religions, that I should instead "change my thinking" and like them, is in itself wrong.
No. Not a bad idea. I think it is just the word 'hate' that has everyone stirred up, and what the word implies. Very emotional word, hate. I deeply fear those who have genuine hate for me, whether it be for my beliefs, my apperarance, my national origin...whatever. Experience has shown me it is a wise fear.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 7:11 pm

How much longer before Ishmael's miracle crusade of hate is capped off by the WP mods? Or might they let this one go on account of his age?

dwynotRuns
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2008, 7:15 pm

I don't like cults either (religions are cults), unless they are a joke, which makes me want to join the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I don't like the Church of the Atheists either because they are just a bunch of people who care about doing good. I don't hate all religious people, just the really religious ones, the ones that believe you will burn in hell for not believing in god. You are completely righteous on your hate and honesty towards the stupids.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 7:22 pm

I guess that makes me a stupid.

But I'm a stupid who believes that every person is solely responsible for his own salvation. I'm a stupid who doesn't believe in the value of telling others that they're going to hell. I may not be the kind of stupid to which you refer.

BTW religions are not cults. Look up these words in the dictionary.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 7:53 pm

Ishmael wrote:
I'm serious here. I'm honest enough with myself to know I hate the religious. I can't help it; the religious perspective is in stark contrast to my own. The... refusal to even argue on common grounds, the retreat into doctrine when challenged.

Now, some people see this as a character flaw on my part. Why? I'm not going to pretend to like them. Why should I? I'm being honest here, it's a fact of my life, so be it. I find no personal fault with it; after all, from a professional standard - I cannot abide their anti-scientific world views. I would not be straying to suggest they disgust me; no offense intended, I'm merely stating my feelings towards them. Now, I know the people this thread will attract... I also know the response they may make - so be it.
But, the fact that I hate them is not the point; the point is, as I said, why should that be a problem?

Even my family, agnostics and atheists, say I should not hate them. Why? If I were to try, I would be merely pretending, until I fail and can not pretend to "respect" them anymore. They are wrong! Why is it taboo to say that!? They are, by my considerations, idiots! Uneducated fools; moreso to the ones attending religious education facilities.
So, why is being honest on my views to them "wrong"? Unpleasant for these people, to hear my views, perhaps. But, it's my open, honest opinion, and if they can spout on about the "evils" of "non-belief", why can't I call them out for being contradictory, tear down offensive posters about non-belief. I mean, vehemently offensive posters.
Acknowledgements of distaste are one thing; bordering on encouraging violence against atheists and other religions posted on a wooden cross are another!

I have always had a problem with religious people; I have no qualms about voicing my concerns over them. So why do people encourage me to "respect" them, considering their own behaviours to other religions, or those without the need to cling to ancient comforts?

Why is that seen as being wrong?! Notice any contradictions? So why can't it just be viewed as a mutual given?

IOW: You're a sinner and you're goin' to Hell! :twisted:

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 10:17 pm

claire333 wrote:
@ToadOfSteel, I'm always so impressed with your avatars, especially since you create them yourself.

My offer stands. If you want me to make you something (avatar, wallpaper, whatever), just let me know. It doesn't have to be anything spacey either. Just send me a PM and I'll let you know if it's within my skill set.

PS: When you look at my avatar, tilt your head 90 degrees to the right. When you see it, you'll s**t bricks.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 10:24 pm

ToadofSteel, I can't see the hidden picture in your avatar. Is it like one of those optical maze things?

chever
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 10:39 pm

When I tilt my head either way, I see a face.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 11:34 pm

slowmutant wrote:
How much longer before Ishmael's miracle crusade of hate is capped off by the WP mods? Or might they let this one go on account of his age?

Miracle crusade of hate...? First, trust a cross-brandisher to imply that crusades are miracles.
Second, I'm not encouraging others to hate! I'm simply stating I do!
Hate isn't really a strong word; just look up the dictionary meaning. There are worse words.

This is what I'm talking about!! Slowmutant is extremely biased, so he has nothing to add but quips, but this mentality that I shouldn't hate religion! Why? I'm not telling others to do the same, and if you don't like it; so what? Deal with it! I'm stating a fact, that I hate religion!
Now, to me, they represent the worst perversions of reality. To me, I said!
Would you not hate, say, paedophiles or some other group for representing perversions of your realities or others?
Don't misconstrue that; I'm not saying any religious person, save catholic priests, are paedophiles. I'm using an example to suggest that if a group or person represent whatever is "evil" in your world, your own personal hatred may well be justified!

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 11:36 pm

slowmutant wrote:

Miracle crusade of hate...? First, trust a cross-brandisher to imply that crusades are miracles.
Second, I'm not encouraging others to hate! I'm simply stating I do!
Hate isn't really a strong word; just look up the dictionary meaning. There are worse words.

This is what I'm talking about!! Slowmutant is extremely biased, so he has nothing to add but quips, but this mentality that I shouldn't hate religion! Why? I'm not telling others to do the same, and if you don't like it; so what? Deal with it! I'm stating a fact, that I hate religion!
Now, to me, they represent the worst perversions of reality. To me, I said!
Would you not hate, say, paedophiles or some other group for representing perversions of your realities or others?
Don't misconstrue that; I'm not saying any religious person, save catholic priests, are paedophiles. I'm using an example to suggest that if a group or person represent whatever is "evil" in your world, your own personal hatred may well be justified!