Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2008, 3:22 pm

Personally I prefer elevators and escalators to going up and down stairs.

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 3:25 pm

me too hate needing to do unnecessary movement up and down

8)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 3:26 pm

I hate using stairs. I'm always afraid I'll fall down them (and I actually have, a few times).

I run up the stairs in our house on all fours, like a dog. And when I go down stairs, I do so pretty carefully.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2008, 3:33 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
...I run up the stairs in our house on all fours, like a dog...

I used to do that, too! I stopped sometime in adolescence - but it just always seemed the natural thing to do.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2008, 3:47 pm

I think that somehow I am far more uncoordinated on stairs than most people are. I always hold onto the banister because I occasionally don't step up enough and I almost fall, and going down I always watch my feet and hold onto the banister. I take them a lot slower too than most people, which I imagine hold up traffic.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 4:38 pm

I quite like using stairs if they are well structured (not so fond of tight spiral staircases for instance), even though I once broke my toe going up a flight of 4 stairs. :oops:

wilbury
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Sep 2008, 6:25 pm

i prefer the stairs, i hate elevators, feel too closed in.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 6:40 pm

pushing around a hand truck all day long, I greatly prefer elevators. Getting the sucker through doors...that's mydownfall...;)

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 6:46 pm

I kinda like stairs, I get the hang on the movements on the individual sets of stairs very easily and can even use the ones, I often use in the dark. I think what I like about the stairs, which I often have to use is that it's a kind of 'transaction' (very stupid term for an action which is either executed fully or not at all) without the need to adapt to anything. :wink:

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2008, 6:59 pm

Unless my destination was 10 floors up, I'd take the stairs.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:03 pm

:D I love random topics like this.

For as remarkably clumsy as I am, stairs kind of stir something inside me that makes me "go." Going up I try to leap up with as few steps as possible. Doing this requires the first leap to be timed perfectly, not to mention the run-up. Reporting results to my brother was my daily habit as I got home from school every day.

Going down wasn't as fun, however the challenge brought out the same sort of determination. How to get down in as few steps as possible. Using a completely different strategy, I accomplished this in one leap. Yes, one single leap. Twas more of a "swing" as I'd plant my hands as far down the rails as I could set them, and "hop" as far out as my arms would extend.

Man, what good times of simple pleasure and excitement-over stairs! Thanks to the OP, I've not looked back in time in a possitive way in a little while. :)

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2008, 7:10 pm

I'd use stairs over the elevator for two reasons: typically, where I am, the stairs are faster, and I also avoid people when taking the stairs.

Stairs however always give me dangerous feeling. I prefer using a banister. I prefer going up and down them faster than the normal person. I also sometimes do not raise my feet high enough when going up, resulting in my toe dragging on the stairs a bit, which can lead to an accident (and has). I'm very conscious when going up and down stairs, and despite how fast I prefer going, I try to be very careful. On unfamiliar sets of stairs I go slow. I always feel like I'm going to slip up and hurt myself on any set of stairs. ~_~

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:11 pm

As a food courier I tend to find elevators very slow, I once took an order to a top floor, I couldn't be bothered to wait for the lift to find the person who let me in had decided to meet me at the bottom was the one who had the means to pay with, so I had to wait. I shouldn't have stopped, I felt giddy, managed to make it up 4 flights in around 10 seconds or so (quick estimation)

I only resort to elevators when there are many stairs. I learnt my lesson of impatience on the underground in London when I decided to rush up the steps quickly.... When I go I don't stop, even when the searing pain starts to kick in, I keep the rhythm going.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 8:51 pm

I rather do the stairs then esculators, but rather do the elevators instead of either of those haha. I get out of breath easily with the stairs and have many troubles walking on the stairs but i hold on to the railing extra tight. I just dont do esculators, when i was little my shoelace got stuck in it and my whole tiny little leg almost got caught also, and got very hurt. I just cant understand to jump off at the right time or get on at the right time, and somehow lose my balance even more, so i try to avoid esculators as much as i can haha. Stairs do walk the butt though hahahaha. If i had to vote though itll be elevators hehe.

Aguila
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Sep 2008, 10:34 pm

Elevaters make me sick, escalaters are scary (they are always moving when are you supposed to get on?) I hate stairs especially when I am made to step instead of running up and down them like a dog or jumping several or all of them.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 10:43 pm

zeichner wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
...I run up the stairs in our house on all fours, like a dog...

I used to do that, too! I stopped sometime in adolescence - but it just always seemed the natural thing to do.

I do it to this day. It does feel more natural. Maybe I just have horrible balance...