Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 10:43 pm

zeichner wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
...I run up the stairs in our house on all fours, like a dog...

I used to do that, too! I stopped sometime in adolescence - but it just always seemed the natural thing to do.

I do it to this day. It does feel more natural. Maybe I just have horrible balance...

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:37 pm

Aurore wrote:
zeichner wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
...I run up the stairs in our house on all fours, like a dog...

I used to do that, too! I stopped sometime in adolescence - but it just always seemed the natural thing to do.

I do it to this day. It does feel more natural. Maybe I just have horrible balance...

I also have always done this, and I think my brother did it as a kid. Both of us have perfectly fine balance, though.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 4:44 am

Going up and down steps/stairs, I"m always a bit slow and clumsy. I stumble easily, especially when descending, especially when there's no handrail.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 11:29 am

I 'like' stairs.

I mean, they're stairs of course and I have no personal relationship to stairs so 'like' is a little too strong.

But I prefer stairs, I guess.

I have nothing against stairs.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 2:03 pm

Don't like using the elevator in my flat because I got stuck in in there on my 18th birthday it wasn't funny at all. Since then I use the stairs and occasionally use the lift if I am tired or anything like that I live on the top where I live.

FernMayo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2008, 4:04 pm

I don't mind stairs but I do find I like to have a railing to hang onto and prefer if no one is trying to walk up behind me. I went down these parking garage stairs where the railing had just been painted and this woman was coming down after me. I had to wait and let her pass me..my trek down was a bit slow. I don't want to trip up and fall on my face?

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 1:40 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I run up the stairs in our house on all fours, like a dog.

I did that at my brother's house. I was fortunite to live in a one story house all my life. I could never go down stairs with out having to turn my whole body arond and go down step by step that way. It never bothered me until a physical therapist pointed it out and made me feel like a freak. Why is it that when a therapist or doctor sees something diffrent in someone they want to do away with it. Now I am emparased to go down stairs and will not unless it is the only option. Stupid physical therapist.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 2:05 pm

One of the most enjoyable things about visiting my grandparents was running up their staircase and then sliding down its banister.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 2:06 pm

I've never liked elevators, that whole "falling feeling" never appealed to me...in fact, it kind of freaks me out. Hate most amusement park rides for the same reason.

But for some reason, I really like jumping down from high places :? Maybe it's because I know I'm actually falling, and not just inside of something that's falling.

Also in elevators, I always get that freaked out feeling like what if it snaps and falls? I know real elevators have brakes, and they only kill people in movies, but I still can't help thinking about it.

Love escalators though =D Back when we had them in the mall, I'd always beg to go on them, even though there was nothing on the second floor. I even got to take one when I was leaving the hospital a few years ago =)

Too bad there aren't more of them around here =/

Stairs get me winded pretty quickly, but I don't mind them...I could do with the exercise anyway =P I usually take a few steps at a time.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 3:59 pm

i still go up stairs on all four but only if people aren't around :)

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2008, 8:14 pm

I'd rather take the elevator then go down the stairs. I often feel like I will fall or am loosing my balance. I don't care much for escalators either. It's a relief to know others understand what I experience, because when I was younger I felt rediculous for experiencing this and didn't know how to voice my problem with descending stairs.

I have the same weird feeling when it comes to heights. I don't like anything any taller then a ladder :lol:

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 5:43 pm

For me it depends on how the stairs are and how far up/down I need to go.

I work in a three floor building and I practically never use the elevator, even though I walk up and down many times per day. It takes too long to wait for the elevator every time and the exercise is good for me. The design of those stairs is good and it's easy for me to walk in them. Actually, I usually run up or down stairs that are designed well and not too full of people.

If I have to go up more than 3 floors or down more than 5, I prefer an elevator.

In places where the stairs are badly designed or seem unsafe I prefer using escalators or elevators, because I tend to trip in bad stairs and I've even fallen down a few stairs. I feel really unsafe in them and some of them cause me knee problems. If I must use bad stairs I walk slowly and make sure to hold onto the bannister.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 6:00 pm

HD3H wrote:
me too hate needing to do unnecessary movement up and down

8)

There are some up and down movements I'm quite happy to make.

Praetorius
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2008, 7:59 pm

FireFox wrote:
Personally I prefer elevators and escalators to going up and down stairs.
Everyone does.
JohnHopkins wrote:
There are some up and down movements I'm quite happy to make.
And lol.

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

27 Sep 2008, 9:30 pm

I don't like elevators, I'm always scared that the cable is going to break. The only issue I have with stairs is that I really don't like going onto the last step with my left foot, it makes me uncomfortable.

nicky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2008, 10:12 pm

i always take an elevator if i can. i don't mind going down stairs, but i don't like going up them. there are a lot of stairs at my school, since it's built on a hill, so i have to go down a long flight of outdoor stairs.. but that's ok, cause once i get the rythem of the steps, it's kinda fun.

but, when we lived in an apartment that had an upstairs and a downstairs, i would always go up the stairs on all four, and i would often slide down them.. which was kinda fun, minus the weggie.. :lol: i don't really do that sort of thing very often anymore, because i think i would get strange looks if i did it at school... :oops: