aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2005, 11:06 pm

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2005, 11:09 pm

Now this is the kind of stuff I like to read on.

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 6:51 am

I'll second that!

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 3:38 pm

Earth in a Space-time Vortex come on. I think they will show in the end that earth is not in a Space-time Vortex.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 5:31 pm

kevv729 wrote:
Earth in a Space-time Vortex come on. I think they will show in the end that earth is not in a Space-time Vortex.

(shakes his head at kevv729 train of thought)
dood, if something has mass it has gravity, if it has gravity it in even a minute way bends space and time, study your physics books, or at least this is what they are trying to prove or dismiss.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 5:39 pm

Very cool, I forwarded it to my dad... maybe we'll actually have something to talk about next time I call home :roll: :)

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 5:43 pm

aspergian_mutant wrote:
kevv729 wrote:

dood, if something has mass it has gravity, if it has gravity it in even a minute way bends space and time, study your physics books, or at least this is what they are trying to prove or dismiss.
This is abit to much I think to believe even if they prove or even dismiss it then what. Will it change how we live our lives on earth no.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 7:30 pm

kevv729 wrote:
aspergian_mutant wrote:
This is abit to much I think to believe even if they prove or even dismiss it then what. Will it change how we live our lives on earth no.

Don't you believe in acquiring knowledge for knowledge's sake?

It might not affect how we live today, but 10 years, 50 years, a hundred years down the line, there are all sorts of technologies that could be discovered using this research!

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 8:24 pm

AbominableSnoCone wrote:
kevv729 wrote:
aspergian_mutant wrote:

Don't you believe in acquiring knowledge for knowledge's sake?

It might not affect how we live today, but 10 years, 50 years, a hundred years down the line, there are all sorts of technologies that could be discovered using this research!
I have no problem in acquiring knowledge even for knowledge's sake. This well never I think truly affect Us no matter yet proven or disproved. Yes We could gain all sorts of technologies and have no problem in that at all for I believe in technology and We need technology to gain the that knowledge.

Comkeen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2005, 11:10 pm

If someday we were going to travel to a far off planet, wouldnt we want to know how space is warped so we can point the rockets in the right direction before blasting off? I can also see this being a benefit to making radio telescopes more accurate, because if this experiment proves true, they can 'compensate' for the space-time curve to get a clearer signal.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2005, 2:21 pm

kevv729 wrote:
aspergian_mutant wrote:
kevv729 wrote:

What's so hard to believe, I've never found the concepts of relativity and curved space-time that difficult, it's really fairly intuitive.

Relativity (and human knowledge of it) has already made enourmous changes in our lives. Have you ever made a transoceanic phone call, used a GPS, watched sattelite television, read a weather forecast, etcetera?

People say the same things about quantum physics not realizing the MP3 player they listen to, the computer they use and even the watch they wear rely on quantum effects to operate.

SquanderedPotential
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2005, 5:23 pm

quantum physics is fascinating, and so is this. i wonder if there's any way to twist the space-time thingy around so you'd end up turning back time...

in my mind

"If you fit the mold of a chipmunk, you probably aren't a kangaroo." - DeepThought