Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

aguales
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2008, 12:57 pm

I can see how the oldest three kids, having been undiagnosed Aspies for some time, might be able allow the parents to convince themselves that they just have "eccentric" kids. But when Sarah was born, that should've had the parents thinking, "Wait, what's going on here..."

MADDuck also suggested to me that they are probably Mormons since one of the kids' name is Nephi, which is a name in the Book of Mormon. I assume anything that hints at planned parenthood is something they'd find distasteful.

I think it's an interesting way for viewers to understand that autism is a spectrum. Really, there's no easier way to show this than to have a family that falls on different aspects of the spectrum and to have that family have its own series. Awareness is a good thing, right? But I hope there'll be more truth than distortion as the series goes along...issues and circumstances can easily get mishandled by those behind the camera who may have an agenda or are ignorant.

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2008, 9:33 pm

I saw it on Wednesday and I liked it; all of the kids seem to be doing somewhat well in society so far. The parents didn;t seem to know a lot about autism, though. Almost all of the kids seemed to act very similar to me.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 10:57 am

I didn't know this show would be a series. When will the next episode be aired?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 11:10 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Anyone else milder than those kids?

The three with Asperger's, and the one with PDD-NOS are better than I was when I was their age; I was of a similar level to the youngest boy, but I was more aloof/distant, and I preferred to line my toys up rather than "stimming".

My mother agreed with me.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 8:20 pm

I would say my traits most resemble Bobby's and Emma's.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 12:41 am

My mother says that I was worse than all three of my brothers combined as a kid. I think I was worse than all six of those kids put together. My parents lived in fear of my agressive streaks and I had severe OCD traits. Plus I did not speak until I was four.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 10:04 am

They said that PDD/NOS was the least severe manifestation of autism. I always thought that AS was less severe, without intellectual deficits. The little girl with PDD, however, merely seemed a little behind in her developmental milestones, but seemed better off than any of the other kids, except maybe for Bobby. Nephi has no organizational skills, Emma is very smart but is beset with nerves, and Ammon and Sarah are still in diapers. Maybe it could be true in Mary's case that it is easier to be just a little behind than seriously disordered. She seems to be the most socially adept of all the kids.

Last edited by 9CatMom on 05 Oct 2008, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 12:10 pm

PDD-NOS can range in severity from "mild" Asperger's up to Atypical Autism [that is usually less severe than Autism]. It can be the most "mild" of the various types of Autism, but it's not always.

I'm not accurately depicted out of the six for any of their ages, really. Whilst I share more with Ammon than those with Asperger's [and PDD-NOS]; I was better than him in some things at his age, but he was better than me in some things. Overall, he is more severe than I was (as is Sarah of course, she appears to be the "worst"), but I was closer to those 2 than the other 4.