Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 7:19 pm

Hey everyone I was just watching Discovery Health and saw an ad for a new show called Autism Times six. These parents have six kids all of which have some form of autism, it comes on at 8:00 PM eastern standard time.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 8:22 pm

That's kinda bad. 6 little kids in general is hard as hell, and I know it's gonna be stressed out parents who hate what their children are. We don't need more Autism-Speakseque negativity out there.

WhiskeryBeast
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Sep 2008, 10:12 pm

What really gets me, and I have not seen the show is, if you have a child say, and you are a NT parent, and the child is autistic. Okay, you can handle that, but then you have another child who is autistic. And then you have another child, who is autistic.... Do you begin to see a pattern here? Why have these people not realized that something is wrong with the way the genes mix up and stop having kids? If there is a big likely hood of a child being born and developing autism, wouldn't you want to spare yourself and the grief and spare a child out of a difficult existence?

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 10:52 pm

TheMidnightJudge wrote:
That's kinda bad. 6 little kids in general is hard as hell, and I know it's gonna be stressed out parents who hate what their children are. We don't need more Autism-Speakseque negativity out there.

From what I saw it didn't look like the propaganda that you would associate with autism speaks. I say leave the judgment till after the first episode goes on the air :wink: who knows it could show the positives associated with autism.

WhiskeryBeast I don't think their is such thing as NT truth be told. So many kids are affected with a form of autism it only stands to reason that more people especially family members of an autistic person could show a few autistic traits, yet not enough to classified as autistic because the autistic genes are common.

27 Sep 2008, 11:34 pm

I am looking forward to seeing this show on Wednesday. I have it set to record in case I forget about it.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 1:37 am

WhiskeryBeast wrote:
What really gets me, and I have not seen the show is, if you have a child say, and you are a NT parent, and the child is autistic. Okay, you can handle that, but then you have another child who is autistic. And then you have another child, who is autistic.... Do you begin to see a pattern here? Why have these people not realized that something is wrong with the way the genes mix up and stop having kids? If there is a big likely hood of a child being born and developing autism, wouldn't you want to spare yourself and the grief and spare a child out of a difficult existence?

what makes it a difficult existance, though? Isn't it mostly peoples attitudes towards autism?
why not just check for autism in the womb and abort upon discovery? After all, it would be mercy killing, right? [/astonished sarcasm]

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 1:46 am

Maybe they had hextopulets?

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 7:19 pm

I saw a preview a few days ago. I'm looking foward to watching it. It seems interesting.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 8:15 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing it. It sounds interesting.

I don't want to have children, but not because of AS. I have a seizure disorder and my age (44) could be a factor, too. However, if I ever did find someone compatible who loved me despite my being less than the ideal woman, I would consider having children. I couldn't give up on anyone, no matter what.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 1:07 am

6 autistic kids!?!? My mom worries enough about me as it is, but if there were 5 other me's in the house, I think she'd probably die of a heart attack. :lol:

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 8:19 am

IdahoRose wrote:
6 autistic kids!?!? My mom worries enough about me as it is, but if there were 5 other me's in the house, I think she'd probably die of a heart attack. :lol:

I know what you mean, my mom worries about me all the time.

WhiskeryBeast

29 Sep 2008, 9:02 am

sinsboldly wrote:
WhiskeryBeast wrote:

what makes it a difficult existence, though? Isn't it mostly peoples attitudes towards autism?
why not just check for autism in the womb and abort upon discovery? After all, it would be mercy killing, right? [/astonished sarcasm]

I'm not advocating abortion. I'm saying why would you want to bring so many disabled children into the world if you know there is a pattern? It seems to me like this family was unable to stop having children. Having autism for most people is not easy or even something I dare say they enjoy. If given the choice to fitting in and making friends, growing up to be independent and have your own family with a loving spouse were a choice for these children, i bet you they would choose that over being non verbal, being unable to take care of themselves, and having no control over their own emotions.

madderakka

29 Sep 2008, 11:21 am

How old are the children and when were they diagnosed? There are many families who don't have a dx until their late childhood/early teens. My son is almost 6 and we are just now getting a dx. We could easily have 6 children by now, not realizing they would all be autistic. I do worry about having more children. not because I think being autistic is bad, I just worry about how much will I be able to give? Can I give more children a good quality of life? If my next child is severely autistic, how do I take care of them without getting stressed and yelling. It's more about my limitations than theirs.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 8:06 pm

WhiskeryBeast wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
WhiskeryBeast wrote:

what makes it a difficult existence, though? Isn't it mostly peoples attitudes towards autism?

I'm not advocating abortion. I'm saying why would you want to bring so many disabled children into the world if you know there is a pattern? It seems to me like this family was unable to stop having children. Having autism for most people is not easy or even something I dare say they enjoy. If given the choice to fitting in and making friends, growing up to be independent and have your own family with a loving spouse were a choice for these children, i bet you they would choose that over being non verbal, being unable to take care of themselves, and having no control over their own emotions.

uh. . .you could be talking about me. I have not had the benefits you mention in life. Should I not have survived, then? and I have friends on WP that are non verbal, just wonderful people, should they not have survived, either? Is life only worth living if you are "normal?"

Merle

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 12:36 am

Jesus Christ, this is a horrible idea. I hope the actors they get are actually autistic. (Yes, I know it's meant to be a reality show.)

How much you wanna bet one of them's gonna commit suicide by the end of the first season?

02 Oct 2008, 12:46 am

I just watched this show and all the kids are worse than me. My boyfriend agreed I am better than them. Anyone else milder than those kids?