Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 4:39 pm

am cant see it being any different for someone with an ASD if they want loads of users on their list,theres the possible collecting side to it-collecting as many different users as possible,without having any connection with them, instead of being about actual humans,like pokemon in a way.

am recently joined face book after being persuaded by home staff as all the staff who used to work with am and had liked a lot are on there,they all want to talk to am on the little chat thing but they are having to ask service manager first if its ok to do so,am have no interest in using it for anything else but connecting with the nice residential or NAS staff who are all on there,so have no users in list yet.

anna-banana,
is a lot easier to get that type of details on internet than think,even easier than through facebook.
am recently found a uk website that will give the home address,who a person lives with,their age and also a close up photo of their house from above [though not everyones has all the details] the site gets all the details off a roll type thing that people go on to allow them to vote.
Showed some staff it after putting their names in and they couldnt believe it was available just by putting in their name.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 4:43 pm

Personally, I think you're more likely to have lots of "friends" on facebook.

Here - social skills are less important and your friends are simply a collection of pictures of passing acquaintances, relatives, old classmates etc...

A computer-nerd aspie is more likely to know other computer people who are on facebook than say... a middle-aged labourer on a building site.

(no offence intended to anyone btw).

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2008, 5:00 pm

My school required us to get Facebooks. I have about ten classmates I've recently met as friends on my facebook, and one or two real friends.

wilbury
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Sep 2008, 6:42 pm

i don't see any point with all this facebook stuff, its beyond me. whats the point of adding
people who never speak to you anyway.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 7:53 pm

Wilbury wrote:
i don't see any point with all this facebook stuff, its beyond me. whats the point of adding
people who never speak to you anyway.

It's a good way to keep in touch - to know that people who you can reach out to are only a click away.

Hopefully, you'll at least send a "Merry Christmas" to them - preferably slightly personalised - once a year.

Who knows, relationships change constantly and the cousin or school friend that you never talk to could end up with a child going to the same school as yours.

wilbury
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Sep 2008, 8:10 pm

thinking about it, i'd rather stick to messaging people rather than using the phone.
i just can't stand it when you message a person and they don't get back to you,
it annoys me.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 8:13 pm

I have rules myself that I can't delete things until I've responded... even then I often muck things up.

The good thing about messaging though - particularly email, is that it becomes semi-permanent (until you delete it) so everytime you go into your inbox, there's this message you haven't responded to. I'll bet that you're more likely to get a response from an email than a written and posted surface mail.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 8:26 pm

You most certainly can.

I have 203. I just counted and I think I've met 37 of them in person.

Some of them I don't hear from very often but others I certainly do, some I talk to at length nearly every day.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 8:27 pm

wilbury wrote:
thinking about it, i'd rather stick to messaging people rather than using the phone.
i just can't stand it when you message a person and they don't get back to you,
it annoys me.

I used to not mind speaking on the phone but now I just don't have the patience for it. I don't know if its because of being so busy with the kids and stuff. I just have no interest to chat on the phone (with the exception of one of my friends for some odd reason) I like facebook because its easier to send messages than yacking on the phone.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 11:38 pm

I tried facebook but it's hard to navigate and I'm not really into social networking sites as a rule, anyway. I still have a MySpace account, but I have 4 friends on it, all of whom are related to me (I deleted 'Tom, the Default Friend'). I reject friend requests because they're usually from fortyish married men looking to cheat on their wives, plus I don't issue friend requests, either. Something about sending a 'friend request' really bugs me and I just can't do it.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 11:43 pm

I hate this, I get so often invites from all those site that say "thsi one wants to be your friend ( I never met the person and I don't knwo how they got my adress). The same on many art websites I am on. Or Youtube..this one wants to add you to his friends list. You rhen answer or ask why, what is the interest and I never get a reply of those who wish to add me to their list!! !
It is insane and now I simply delete them

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 11:46 pm

I have something like 87 facebook friends. A lot of them in fact are fellow spectrumers, from the autism advocacy / anti-discriminatory/ pro-autism groups. Then there are the few people I actually really do know...and my parents, lol.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 11:49 pm

on BBC worldservice programme I saw an interview with the builders of Facebook and they were accused of the lack of privacy on facebook and that it was easy for anyone ot use private info from Facebook users for anyone who wanted to use a different identy on th enet or steal anything from your database

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 11:58 pm

Aurore wrote:
I have something like 87 facebook friends. A lot of them in fact are fellow spectrumers, from the autism advocacy / anti-discriminatory/ pro-autism groups. Then there are the few people I actually really do know...and my parents, lol.

I should probably look at some of those groups. Or not, Facebook already takes up too much of my time!

But yes, over 100 of my Facebook friends are from a particular Facebook group I frequent (read: live on). Some of them are just acquaintances, some I've never met but know as well as you can know anyone without meeting them.

It's not AS-related, but I know at least four of my friends from that group have AS, and two of them (I didn't know the other two had it at the time) were literally the first people I talked to when I suspected I might have it.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 1:17 am

I still haven't found much of a use for myspace but I find facebook to be very good.

Since I collect a lot of movies, books, computer games etc, I've loaded applications for each of those which help me track what I've watched and what I thought of it, while showing me other things that I might be interested in based on my past selections. It also highlights which of my friends have similar tastes.

If I find groups discussing things that interest me, I'll post on them and if I know someone, I'll often issue a friend request. It used to bother me, but now it doesn't.

Finally, since I've got digg and youtube accounts etc and I read lots of blogs... whenever I see anything interesting, I post it to my profile using the buttons on the blog/video etc...

My digg feed comes through automatically because of the digg applet.

oh, and I've got facebook setup to automatically pull an RSS feed from my blog.

happypuff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Oct 2008, 4:03 am

How much is 'a lot'? What ones count?

Like I have about 100-110 people at the moment from my high school on there and I don't talk to them at all (literally not at all, I didn't talk to them during school and I don't talk to them now), yet they're still 'friends', and they make up ~2/3rds of my total friends