What attributes and characteristics makes a woman a woman?

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Adrenaline
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2008, 8:38 pm

you may think this a silly question, but besides the obvious,
ReallY?

Sir_Beefy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Sep 2008, 9:02 pm

Having XX chomosomes. THAT IS IT. NOTHING else. Society is a bunch of crap. If you asked what are typical hobbies of women on this forum, thats different. But society tells us what to think every day, and I don't buy it for a second.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 9:38 pm

I would have to agree - it is just a matter of body parts . . . I'm female and I absolutely detest traditional female roles and fashions - I am very masculine - therefore - the only thing that makes me female is my body . . .

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 9:51 pm

I've been trying to think of a good answer to this. I am female with all the obvious female parts. Even though I am far from girly, people can tell what I am. I have witnessed some men who tried to look/dress feminine/female & they totally missed the mark! so there has to be something to be said for biology.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 9:51 pm

Two X chromosomes.

It doesn't matter if she is surgically altered to look like a man (complete with urinary appendage), she is still female ... pretending to be a man.

By the same token, a single Y chromosome makes the person male, and all the surgury and hormone replacement therapy does not change that simple fact.

It's like owning an Apple computer, running Windows on it, and pretending that it's a PC.

In any case, genetics is the determining factor.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

PowerGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2008, 9:55 pm

Yeah. I sometimes wonder if I'm more of a guy than my boyfriend and if he's more of a girl than me. I'm more of a fighter and he's more a pacifist. I do love Sailor Moon and Winx Club, but I also love Power Ranger's Lost Galaxy. My boyfriend loves Lord of the Rings and Starwars, but also is starting to share an interest with my two biggest obsessions (SM and WC). Who knows. We just balance each other out. I don't think it should be about if its a guy thing or a girl thing, but whether its YOUR thing.
-Power Girl

Carbonhalo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Sep 2008, 10:15 pm

Since I have an X chromosome...I must be half woman....

'nuff said

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 10:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
Two X chromosomes.

It doesn't matter if she is surgically altered to look like a man (complete with urinary appendage), she is still female ... pretending to be a man.

Embryoes all start more or less physically female, though, and unless hormonal conditions are right everybody'd turn out a woman. All the genetic information about male and female parts isn't found on Xs and Ys. You can make rat embryoes develop into males or females or have some forms of intersexed-ness by injecting them with hormones or hormone blockers at the right times. The on-switch for maleness is on Y. If it's broken, or if something else is going on that makes the body not react to the hormones (androgen insensitivity syndrome) you have a person with XY chromosomes who is born with female parts and develops as a normal female. This kept coming up when they used to do genetic tests of athletes competing in the women's events at the Olympics, to the embarrassment of everybody.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 10:38 pm

I have become the man I wanted to marry.

Merle

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 11:12 pm

There is a difference between being biologically female (XX), and being a woman. Sex is biological, but gender is social. Being female is biological, being a women is social.

Malsane
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Sep 2008, 11:40 pm

Pandd got it. Female is the biology. Being a woman is just how you identify. I'm certainly female, but I'm not sure if I'd call myself a woman. I mean, I am and I'm not. I'm sort of androgynous. Your gender is how you identify. You are a woman if you feel like a woman. Female is anatomy.

Also, as has been said, genetics doesn't do it all the time. Sometimes the hormones and the DNA don't match up, and the hormones change the sex.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

I love Sinsboldly's statement! That is so me - I live alone, I am asexual, therefore I must be both male and female at the same time - though I lean more toward the male, despite my stupid biology . . .

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:46 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
I have become the man I wanted to marry.

Merle, do expand!

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:54 pm

male=sperm
female=eggs

everything else is just is just a differnt spin on this

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 1:12 pm

pandd wrote:
There is a difference between being biologically female (XX), and being a woman. Sex is biological, but gender is social. Being female is biological, being a women is social.

Evidence, Please?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 2:00 pm

Eggman wrote:
male=sperm
female=eggs

Thus, Eggman is an oxymoron.