Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page:

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 1346
Location: wherever I lay my head (now in the Peru)

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:04 am

I saw Rain Man and I saw "I am Sam", how much of Sam is autistic?

In the UK during the seventies we had the popular series "Some others do 'ave them' with Frank Spencer. I clearly recognized some of Sam's gestures, the way he hold his hand, similar to the way F Spencer did.

Now I heard from some people that basically the series were mocking a person with a disability, something they also said of Mr. Bean. Is that true?


_________________
Your Aspie score: 152 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 48 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie


Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:08 am

They only said he has autistic tendencies. He has MR actually. The label has been mentioned a few times in the movie.


I don't know about Mr. Bean. I always thought it was about a quirky character. Same as Some Mother Do Ave Em about a clumsy character.



CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 1184
Location: Surprise, Arizona

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:09 am

I Am Sam was a kickass movie... but why would Mr. Bean be labled as having a disability? Tf? That dudes a comical genius!


_________________
www.Last.fm/user/BadMoonReaper
I love WP's color scheme. Green is awesome when you're blue!


Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 1516
Location: Virginia Tech

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:11 am

Mr. Bean is supposed to be mocking the disabled? I seriously doubt that was anyones' intention.


_________________
?Evil? No. Cursed?! No. COATED IN CHOCOLATE?! Perhaps. At one time. But NO LONGER.?


Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 1346
Location: wherever I lay my head (now in the Peru)

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:13 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:
I Am Sam was a kickass movie... but why would Mr. Bean be labled as having a disability? Tf? That dudes a comical genius!


Bean clearly cannot function in society, grimaces all the time like some five year old, is awkward, you name it.


_________________
Your Aspie score: 152 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 48 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie


CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 1184
Location: Surprise, Arizona

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:15 am

The character Mr. Bean or the person Rowan Atkinson?

Enh, just got into him this week, watched a ton of his videos on YouTube. Didn't pay much attention to that stuff. Just too busy laughing.


_________________
www.Last.fm/user/BadMoonReaper
I love WP's color scheme. Green is awesome when you're blue!


Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 1346
Location: wherever I lay my head (now in the Peru)

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:19 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:
The character Mr. Bean or the person Rowan Atkinson?

Enh, just got into him this week, watched a ton of his videos on YouTube. Didn't pay much attention to that stuff. Just too busy laughing.


Atkinson is a brilliant actor, I saw hin in a movie of a racing pilot with Ferraris. he was serious there, but in Blackadder again he was like Bean


_________________
Your Aspie score: 152 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 48 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie


CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 1184
Location: Surprise, Arizona

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:22 am

Loborojo wrote:
CowboyFromHell wrote:
The character Mr. Bean or the person Rowan Atkinson?

Enh, just got into him this week, watched a ton of his videos on YouTube. Didn't pay much attention to that stuff. Just too busy laughing.


Atkinson is a brilliant actor, I saw hin in a movie of a racing pilot with Ferraris. he was serious there, but in Blackadder again he was like Bean


I guess that's it then. Started on an Atkinson vid then kept clicking links in the related vids section. Haven't got to Bean yet.

I was referring to the actor, so you cleared it up. Thanks.


_________________
www.Last.fm/user/BadMoonReaper
I love WP's color scheme. Green is awesome when you're blue!


CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 1184
Location: Surprise, Arizona

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:26 am

If I Am Sam is based on a true story, can a "mental retarded" person actually have sex? I haven't heard of it yet.


_________________
www.Last.fm/user/BadMoonReaper
I love WP's color scheme. Green is awesome when you're blue!


Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 9599

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:28 am

Lorna Wing wrote that the character Mr. Bean is a perfect example of someone with AS. I see it.

(Mr. Bean is cool.)



Malsane
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 346
Location: Iowa, USA

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:39 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:
If I Am Sam is based on a true story, can a "mental retarded" person actually have sex? I haven't heard of it yet.
Oh yes. Sex isn't that complicated, mechanically. And he could take instruction. Being retarded doesn't mean you can't have sex. You probably haven't heard of it because there's not a lot of stories about mentally retarded people. (I'm sure that's not the PC term, but I don't know what to call it. I mean no offense)



CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 1184
Location: Surprise, Arizona

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:44 am

Malsane wrote:
CowboyFromHell wrote:
If I Am Sam is based on a true story, can a "mental retarded" person actually have sex? I haven't heard of it yet.
Oh yes. Sex isn't that complicated, mechanically. And he could take instruction. Being retarded doesn't mean you can't have sex. You probably haven't heard of it because there's not a lot of stories about mentally retarded people. (I'm sure that's not the PC term, but I don't know what to call it. I mean no offense)


No, I understand. No offense taken.

I don't really knwo how to say what I'm thinking of, I want a better term as well. I just thought that people who are like that would not know much about sex. I didn't even know they had a sex drive. You're right, though, because I don't hear stories of it. I don't understand why not, you hear stories about murder and they go into such detail on the news, but they don't say stuff like this. The media pretty much writes off stuff about disabilities, at least in my area.


_________________
www.Last.fm/user/BadMoonReaper
I love WP's color scheme. Green is awesome when you're blue!


Malsane
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 346
Location: Iowa, USA

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:51 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:
No, I understand. No offense taken.

I don't really knwo how to say what I'm thinking of, I want a better term as well. I just thought that people who are like that would not know much about sex. I didn't even know they had a sex drive. You're right, though, because I don't hear stories of it. I don't understand why not, you hear stories about murder and they go into such detail on the news, but they don't say stuff like this. The media pretty much writes off stuff about disabilities, at least in my area.
The news companies want to make a profit, and murder news is more profitable than info about the disabled.

There's lots of ways a person could be mentally retarded. Maybe some of them don't have really powerful sex drives. I think it generally has no impact on it though.



anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 6818
Location: Europe

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:30 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Lorna Wing wrote that the character Mr. Bean is a perfect example of someone with AS. I see it.



really? I always thought he seemed a tad retarded...


_________________
not a bug - a feature.


Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 9599

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:40 am

Yep.

Quote:
Asperger wrote his first paper about the pattern of behaviour, now known as Asperger's syndrome, in 1944. His work did not become widely known throughout the world until the 1980s. It may seem that his syndrome must be a new condition appearing for the first time in the 20th century. However, the fact is that there have always been people with this syndrome, although of course no one would have been given this diagnosis until comparatively recently. Accounts of such individuals can be found in historical documents, in fiction, and on television - Mr Bean is a perfect example.



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page:




You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to: