Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 4:06 am

that's somebodys subjective opinion though, I don't really find him aspie, maybe apart from weird facial expressions and body posture. he reminds me of a big kid though:

Quote:
Based on a character developed by Rowan Atkinson at university, the series followed the exploits of Mr. Bean, described by Atkinson as "a child in a grown man's body",[1] in solving various problems presented by everyday tasks and often causing disruption in the process.

that's from wikipedia

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 4:15 am

Well, Lorna Wing is the person who brought Asperger's to the English language (she's like the expert). :)

A, "... "a child in a grown man's body"," is describing Asperger's quite well. :)

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2008, 4:21 am

Here in Oz, we say 'intellectually disabled' instead of 'mentally ret*d'.

As for Mr Bean - I just love him!

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 4:56 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Well, Lorna Wing is the person who brought Asperger's to the English language (she's like the expert). :)

A, "... "a child in a grown man's body"," is describing Asperger's quite well. :)

considering emotional immaturity in people with AS I guess you are right. I wonder how many grown aspies here carry a teddy around though ;p

kitsunetsuki
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2008, 5:02 am

anna-banana wrote:
Danielismyname wrote:

considering emotional immaturity in people with AS I guess you are right. I wonder how many grown aspies here carry a teddy around though ;p

I carry my stuffed monkey or my stuffed bunny in my backpack wherever I go, I usually don't show it a lot, and at university there was a guy who was older and rather eccentric that always had his teddy bear, but he kept it out.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 5:31 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
They only said he has autistic tendencies. He has MR actually. The label has been mentioned a few times in the movie.

I don't know about Mr. Bean. I always thought it was about a quirky character. Same as Some Mother Do Ave Em about a clumsy character.

QFT

Frankly. I didn't see anything autistic about SAM. I WAS shocked though in that Shaun penn did so well at playing a MR person. He was actually told to GET LOST when he first got an acting job. Had another not thought he had potential, and allowed him to try out again, he would never have gotten the part!

I WAS likewise surprised to see a few movies where atkinson played a smarter character. Most of Mr bean's problems are contrived or due to his bad props. Others are due to poor planning, low resources, and misplaced curiousity. Others are due to VERY bad habits, etc.... Although he CLEARLY isn't very smart, a lot of it is not because he is ret*d. Who could forget the case where he drove his sofa down the street!? If he had a truck, he would probably have used it! If he had the money, he probably would have had it delivered. If he thought further ahead, he might have passed on the deal. If he were REALLY ret*d, he would likely have done worse if he even had the idea. Let's be honest though. He clearly did the whole thing for comic effect. I just wish he showed more class, and a bit less curiosity.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 5:37 am

Mr. Bean:

Egocentric
Monotonous voice
Doesn't talk much
Literal
Emotionally and socially immature
"Detached" from society
Motor mannerisms and odd postures
Bullied
One-sided social interaction

That's an Asperger's diagnosis right there.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 7:53 am

Mr. Bean is hilarious. The best is when he changes into his bathing suit on the beach trying not to be seen, only to discover after the whole trouble that the guy nearby is blind. LOLOLOL

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:02 am

I Am Sam is BS. Just cause the guy is the biological father doesn't necessarily mean he's suitable for the job. You're meant to get behind him just because he's the kid's real dad. I think all of us here know very well that not all of us, or those on the spectrum outside of this board, would make good parents. In some extreme cases, we can't even look after ourselves, after all.

01 Oct 2008, 8:25 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:
If I Am Sam is based on a true story, can a "mental ret*d" person actually have sex? I haven't heard of it yet.

Yes. I have heard of them raping people and going to prison for it and someone can rape them.

01 Oct 2008, 8:39 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
They only said he has autistic tendencies. He has MR actually. The label has been mentioned a few times in the movie.

I don't know about Mr. Bean. I always thought it was about a quirky character. Same as Some Mother Do Ave Em about a clumsy character.

QFT

Frankly. I didn't see anything autistic about SAM. I WAS shocked though in that Shaun penn did so well at playing a MR person. He was actually told to GET LOST when he first got an acting job. Had another not thought he had potential, and allowed him to try out again, he would never have gotten the part!

I WAS likewise surprised to see a few movies where atkinson played a smarter character. Most of Mr bean's problems are contrived or due to his bad props. Others are due to poor planning, low resources, and misplaced curiousity. Others are due to VERY bad habits, etc.... Although he CLEARLY isn't very smart, a lot of it is not because he is ret*d. Who could forget the case where he drove his sofa down the street!? If he had a truck, he would probably have used it! If he had the money, he probably would have had it delivered. If he thought further ahead, he might have passed on the deal. If he were REALLY ret*d, he would likely have done worse if he even had the idea. Let's be honest though. He clearly did the whole thing for comic effect. I just wish he showed more class, and a bit less curiosity.

Only thing I noticed about Sam was he always ate at the IHop every Wednesday and one day Lucy wanted to eat at a different restaurant so Sam took her there but got upset because they didn't have the food there he always got at the IHop.

ret*d people also share that trait as autistics do. They also have need for routines and they get confused when it changes. Sam just didn't understand the restaurant doesn't have the same food as IHop does. I knew a girl with DS in my school and she got confused when the school changed the schedule because we had an assembly that day. She heads for advisory and the teachers tell her it's second period and advisory is after second period but she didn't listen because she didn't understand they had changed the schedule even though the teachers tried to explain it to her. She kept arguing with them and then they gave up and let her go to the other classroom for advisory and she just sat there.

BTW it's Sean Penn.

01 Oct 2008, 8:41 am

Kelsi wrote:
Here in Oz, we say 'intellectually disabled' instead of 'mentally ret*d'.

As for Mr Bean - I just love him!

That makes it confusing because intellectual problems doesn't always mean MR.

Shame how we had to let the dumb asses turn that "ret*d" word into an insult just because they were using it as one.

What's next, using a different word for autism because people are using it as an insult? I wouldn't be surprised.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:49 am

I enjoy change and surprises
it keeps me on my toes

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 9:53 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:

ret*d people also share that trait as autistics do. They also have need for routines and they get confused when it changes.

Definitely. My aunt had Down syndrome, and she had a strong need for routines. She had to always have the same set of utensils at dinner, for instance, or she would have a fit.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:29 pm

mmmm moldy ham and eggs

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 3:25 pm

Malsane wrote:
CowboyFromHell wrote:
No, I understand. No offense taken.

I don't really knwo how to say what I'm thinking of, I want a better term as well. I just thought that people who are like that would not know much about sex. I didn't even know they had a sex drive. You're right, though, because I don't hear stories of it. I don't understand why not, you hear stories about murder and they go into such detail on the news, but they don't say stuff like this. The media pretty much writes off stuff about disabilities, at least in my area.
The news companies want to make a profit, and murder news is more profitable than info about the disabled.

There's lots of ways a person could be mentally ret*d. Maybe some of them don't have really powerful sex drives. I think it generally has no impact on it though.

There's a stereotype in general that disabled people of all kinds are asexual. There are very few disabilities that actually cause that though. Most disabled people are just as sexual as anyone else, and that includes people with MR. It has been convenient for "service providers" and institutions in general to deny or attempt to take away people's sexuality, to the point of forced castration, hysterectomies, drugging, behavior programs, separating lovers (some of whom managed to get back together and even marry, some of whom never did), you name it. But it's definitely there (as is the capacity to love people in all senses of the word).

This article is well worth reading.