ADD/ADHD
ODD
Sensory Processing Disorder
just being introverted

Jenk
Toucan
Toucan

02 Oct 2008, 6:27 pm

OCD comes in stints for me and it is all consuming. Antithesis to a euphoric research project. Like a mental invader tying me to the physical world and I just want to get back into my mind, consult the ideas building back there and express them.

lasirena
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Oct 2008, 8:07 pm

My roomate in college (taking psycology) thought I could have Depersonalization Disorder. :roll: This was before I ever heard of AS.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 6:08 pm

I know someone online (a member of a forum I visit rather than a friend) who is diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder (DID) (formerly mulitple personality disorder). And, I'm realizing as far as how she interacts with others, she has distinctly autistic/aspie traits.

Which gets me thinking... is she actually on the spectrum... that is, would she have those traits without the DID? What would it look like is someone had both? (I do think it's possible to have both, though I think DID is rare among aspies just as it's rare in general.)

Which, as far as the original question in this thread, could perhaps DID sometimes look like autism or Asperger's? If the presenting personality is disconnected from the skills/traits that those on the spectrum lack or are weak in, then it seems to me it could, without really being true Autism (or Asperger's).

Although, as far as how to interact with her, I don't think it makes a difference. Whether her way of interacting comes from an innate neurological difference or DID, either way, she has the traits she has. It's not like I'm a therapist coming up with a treatment plan.

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2008, 2:27 pm

Here's some symptoms that might actually be matched to something:

Paranoid beliefs
Lack of trust
Tendency to worry too much
Slight depression... pretty much all the time

:) Now see if there's anything with those symptoms

And I'm extroverted, btw.

Last edited by Mosse on 05 Oct 2008, 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 10:05 pm

That sounds more like schizophrenia to me.

When you say more then one personality, do you mean that you actually have completely separate personalities, or do you just change moods quickly?

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2008, 1:34 pm

Tracker wrote:
That sounds more like schizophrenia to me.

When you say more then one personality, do you mean that you actually have completely separate personalities, or do you just change moods quickly?

Hmm, now that I think about it, I just water down my true personality. Not really another personality at all.

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2008, 3:09 pm

:? Nothing else?

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2008, 7:24 pm

I'd seem like a simple schizophrenic, according to ICD-10, but that doesn't include the delusional beliefs...

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 7:49 pm

Just interjecting some humor here. Yes, I do take this topic seriously but sometimes laugher helps! Mosse, sweetie, you've just posted 3 times - talking to yourself? <Yes, I'm kidding - no offense, truly>

So, just for levity, I'm posting this GREAT video. On WP once I felt very sad, beyond sad.....then another posted this very video and it made me laugh! Aspies/Auties can be misdiagnosed and at extreme levels...sigh.

Watch the video - puts everything into perspective:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... id=3004519

Lab Pet hopes you like :)