Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2008, 8:13 pm

:hmph: Everyone says I have AS, but I've never had a single one of the symptoms at all. I've been stalked by ret*ds who think they're "social therapists", who "teach" me things I ALREADY KNOW. I could never have it, and I will never have it. I seem to match Schizoid or Schizotypal instead of this...

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:25 pm

Quote:

ret*ds

Not the best way to word things in a place like this.

Quote:

I seem to match Schizoid or Schizotypal instead of this...

AS can be identical to Schizoid/Shizotypical in many cases.

Quote:

who "teach" me things I ALREADY KNOW.

1. Tell them to f*** off.

2. That's a bit of an apsie symptom in itself. :lol:

Oh, and to answer your question, some things can have similar traits to as, such as other autistic disorders or NVLD, but there are a few exclusively aspie traits. 8)

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:32 pm

Social anxiety can be mistaken for AS. It has some similar social problems.

Post traumatic stress disorder could also be mistaken for AS. People with PTSD also seem to be withdrawn, and will sometimes rock back and forth in a seemingly autistic way.

Being very shy can sometimes seem autistic.

OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) can also show some autistic traits, such as sticking to schedules, or preferring things a certain way.

There is something called Non-verbal learning disorder. It makes it hard for people to pick up on facial expressions, and they will sometimes themselves seem to use incorrect facial expressions. Many people with autism have the problem, but they also have other issues besides that.

Overall, if you happen to be shy with a bit of OCD, its possible that you might be misdiagnosed, especially if the doctor doing the diagnosis is not very familiar with AS.

Any doctor who officially diagnosis you has to do some sort of write up explaining why you received the diagnosis. You should get a copy of that and read it to see what it says. It is possible that the therapist misunderstood you, or made false assumptions.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:38 pm

schizoid or schizotypal seem similar to me, it depends on your characteristics though.

could be anything really.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:44 pm

Mosse wrote:
:hmph: ret*ds ...

when using this word you might consider how it might sound to people that have been called 'ret*d' all their lives, and in the same usage and meaning as you used the word.

Merle

01 Oct 2008, 8:47 pm

I was called ret*d most of my life and that word doesn't bother me. Just as long as it is not directed at me.

fbug
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2008, 10:33 pm

Tracker wrote:
Social anxiety can be mistaken for AS. It has some similar social problems.

Being very shy can sometimes seem autistic.

That's exactly how I go labeled with autism. That and I was a late talker. Did not matter to anyone that I did not really have any other ASD traits.

I'm not really autistic. The "professionals" who labeled me couldn't distinguish an anxiety disorder from a developmental disability. I'm just here to give advice to help prevent what was done to me from happening to anyone else.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 4:04 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I was called ret*d most of my life and that word doesn't bother me. Just as long as it is not directed at me.

Nonsense - you're so not ret*d! You write/express really well; I really hope no one would ever call you that. How wrong, and really mean.

OP: About what can be mistaken for Asperger's Syndrome? Well, schizotypal & schizoid are personality disorders which are NOT AS but I can see superficial overlap. Hope the diagnostician is better than that though! Yes, social anxiety, or GAD. But again, NOT AS! Outwardly might look like AS but this is cursory. Some who actually have AS, particularly if not Dxed until later in life, can be mistaken for having multiple personality disorder! This is a NO, but some diagnosticians are lost, lost, lost.....sigh.

Anyone who is fully Neurotypical but just shy/quiet/withdrawn, obsessive, or peculiar in habit can be wrongly mistaken as having AS. BIG difference though and a good diagnostican should be able to see this.

Not sure what you mean by 'social therapists.' What? Who would be trying to 'teach you something?' Confusing.
Safe to just stick to the original diagnostic traits! And find a good psychologist to assess, not an online test or someone's opinion!! !! !

Some on WP are self-diagnosed but they took an objective mental inventory based upon real evidence and their history plus insights from others who are influential to them.

Just rhetorical: Why might you think you have AS?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 4:14 am

Behavioral syndromes:

Other ASDs (HFA, PDD-NOS, Semantic Pragmatic Disorder, NLD)
OCD + Social Anxiety
The Schizophrenic Spectrum (Schizophrenia, Simple Schizophrenia, Schizoid PD, Schizotypal PD, Schizoaffective Disorder)

That's pretty much it; apart from the ASDs, it's easy enough to differentiate it from the others and their social withdrawal by a lack of social reciprocation, and a lack of nonverbal cues.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 4:55 am

OP: Now curious - you wrote you've never single one symptom at all. But everyone says you have AS. Just my logic, this is contradictory. If you have no symptoms or, by implication, traits, then why might you consider that you have AS? AS/Autism is a life-long disorder! This means not just having certain similarites. To never have had a 'symptom' means....why would you pursue? Did someone tell you?

Mostly these are rhetorical questions - have you thought about this? AS/Autism is a major disorder with deep implications so a Dx is not to be taken lightly.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 5:32 am

Lab pet is right!

As for your question, ("What can be mistaken for AS?")?

A SNEEZE could be mistaken for AS! HOW!?!?!? A LOT of people have CRAZY ideas of what things are, and what they mean, and many don't have any IDEA what AS is, so you could SNEEZE and they could say "STIM", and figure you have AS because it looked like you MIGHT have ONE symptom, even though AS has more than one symptom, and none of them has to do with sneezing!

They may EVEN see you as withdrawn because you don't want to be around them. Though that COULD be a symptom, that is like a woman telling a man he is a homosexual because he won't go out with her.

HEY, YOU ASKED! :lol:

Seriously though, your attitude COULD be a symptom. Your opinion of them COULD be. MOST people like that are just JERKS, but SOME...

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 11:35 am

Gifted people can sometimes be misdiagnosed as having AS, or ADHD, or OCD, because of how focussed and intense their minds can be. There's a book about it:

Webb, James T., Edward R. Amend, Nadia E. Webb, Jean Goerss, Paul Beljan, and F. Richard Olenchak, 2005. Misdiagnosis and dual diagnoses of gifted children and adults. Great Potential Press, Inc. Scottsdale Arizona

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 12:38 pm

Obsessive compulsive disorder, bipolar?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 1:36 pm

I fear my AS will be mistaken for schizophrenia.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 1:47 pm

Schizophernia
Schizoid
Borderline Personal Disorder
Bipolar
OCD
Social Anxiety
Regular Autism

How about AS mistaken for someone who is deaf-mute? :?

*shrugs*

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 5:14 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
OCD + Social Anxiety

That's pretty much what my psychiatrist thought I had. I'm not sure if I was ever "officially" diagnosed with either (or for that matter how "official" my AS diagnosis is) and in particular I'm not sure I ever met the criteria for OCD, but I definitely had traits (he did say something about "multiple obsessions and compulsions").