Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

mac266
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Oct 2008, 8:41 pm

It happens to be one of my TWO specialized interests....I switch back and forth between them, usually for about 2-3 years at a time.

Do you specialize?

What coins are you into? Building sets?

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die." -G.K. Chesterton

Last edited by mac266 on 06 Oct 2008, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xanovaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2008, 10:49 pm

I enjoy collecting Krueggerands. Rather expensive hobby though.

I started collecting the state quarter sets, but then got into looking for the Washington obversed Sacagawea Dollars.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 11:26 pm

yes, I keep them in the bank

-gemma-1990-
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Oct 2008, 4:39 pm

i know it not really coin collecting but this is the most specific post for it.
i build up a huge amount of 10 pence pieces, and 20 pence pieces - then get them changed at the bank and put them into my bank account

mac266

07 Oct 2008, 9:09 pm

-gemma-1990- wrote:
i know it not really coin collecting but this is the most specific post for it.
i build up a huge amount of 10 pence pieces, and 20 pence pieces - then get them changed at the bank and put them into my bank account

Heh...like the other poster, not really coin collecting.

I'm an American, and as such collect American coins. I have the entire Mercury dime collection (1916 through 1945) the entire Franklin half-dollar collection (1948-63), the entire Lincoln Memorial cent collection (1959-present), the entire Jefferson nickel collection (1934 to present), the Roosevelt dime collection (1946 to present), and others. When I say "entire collection," I'm referring to coins made in each year at each mint, including die varieties (i.e. small dates versus larger ones minted at the same mint the same year).

I'm getting very close to having the entire Buffalo nickel collection (1913-1938), and I'm working on the Kennedy half-dollar collection (1964-present) as well as a few others.

Next I'm going to try the Standing Liberty quarters (1916-1933).

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die." -G.K. Chesterton

-gemma-1990-
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2008, 4:07 pm

i have my dads old stamp collection... :D

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 5:11 pm

I collect pennies because it was something that my mom's dad introduced to me.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 9:30 pm

Yeah I have a coin collection of pennies, 1 cent and 2 cent coins, and a few foreign coins, but I'm afraid it's not really like yours, and I wouldn't call it an obsession - my obsessions pretty much revolve around reading and writing, art, and music.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 9:41 pm

I have a bunch of wheat cents, a few buffalo nickels, etc...but my first real specialty was the Silver Eagles, particularly the 20TH Anniversary sets of 2006. I bought and sold hundreds on Ebay last year. Now, I am focused on Morgan Dollars, but I am unemployed, so my coin hobby is at a standstill. I still enjoy memorizing price guides, and checking prices on Ebay. I will eventually get back into it when I find a job. Hopefully it's rather soon. :)

P.S. I tend to focus on uncirculated, high grade coins, rather than low mintage rarities. I deal mostly with PCGS or NGC certified coins. :)

Those who know, don't speak.

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 10:16 pm

I have a decent collection of american coins from the late 1800's fo when they stopped putting silver in them -- then I lost intrest.
I have a lot of forgien coins.

My main intrest in coins is collecting ones that people have defaced in some way. It's amazing what all the things people can do to a coin.

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 7:36 am

I collect coins for one sole purpose, those damned British 1pence, 2pence and 5pence coins are so annoying, I want them taken out of circuation. I got about £28 GBP ath the moment. The most ever so far, and climbing

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 7:45 am

Keith wrote:
I collect coins for one sole purpose, those damned British 1pence, 2pence and 5pence coins are so annoying, I want them taken out of circuation. I got about £28 GBP ath the moment. The most ever so far, and climbing

LOL.

That's a brilliant idea. I'm tempted to do the same thing with 5 cent pieces...

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 8:31 am

sunshower wrote:
Keith wrote:

LOL.

What is stopping you :) Loads of prices (Under £500 - yeah £499.99) that's not even a whole percentage

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 10:13 am

Keith wrote:
sunshower wrote:
Keith wrote:

LOL.

What is stopping you :) Loads of prices (Under £500 - yeah £499.99) that's not even a whole percentage

Mainly the horrifying thought of having boxes and boxes of 5 cent pieces stacked up around my room... (how I hate the little bastards)