Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2008, 9:09 am

no, i have this too- its interesting. i never annoy other people with my own music, as its ill mannered, and i complain when i am bothered, but i do LOVE to listen to loud music. mkusic sounds nice, beautiful to the person who likes it. if you hvae synesthesia, you can also get physical sensations from it- mozart makes me feel like im in love, sometimes!! !

but loud music v external noise is not just 'control' as simply as it sounds.

noises from outside, be it people, cars, road works are variable- they are uncertain. they also tend to be acoustically rougher, nastier noises- car alarms are designed to be unpleasent.
one is unsure of when its going to end, will resume.

the control thing is true to some extent, but relates to aspieness thinking- if im doing something, or even nothing, i hate to be distubed. constant noise means im constantly distracted from it.
there is also the element of surprise here- aspies often hate to be disturbed. aspies tend to be poor multi-taskers, enjoy being absorbed in something, and hate surprise- (writing lists, planning everything).
control is only a small part- it sounds and feels physically horrible, it stops you thinking, and i dislike teh uncertanty- when will it end? will it start again?? am i going to freak out??

the body relates to really loud noise by going into the flight/ fight response, as it views it as attack- i have perfect hearing, but i imgine my aspie comprehension of of loud noise is that it is threatening in some way. it feels physically unpleasent.

substitute touch for sound, and then see why it would be annoying or frightening to have unexpected, creepy touch constantly bothering you as you walked along the street, but ok when you tap your own knee.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 9:19 am

I am a bit noise sensitive, in my venture group a few weeks ago we had to tear down a wall and do a lot of nailing, the noise I found very hard as I could feel the noise going through me it felt a bit painfull. But the others didnt have a problem with it so if I had left the room or something while this was being done I would be labled lazy or that I act too delacet or something. I am not a big fan of all this carrying music around you thing, just doesnt make any sense to me, but I do like a level of noise, hence why I have a boreing old movie on my tv right now as it isnt the roar of cars, but at least some noise. One thing I do have is that I my hearing is quite good for noticeing something like when someone is walking aroud the house, and can go into quite mode if I am up past bed time, but my brothers new pet mice keep tricking me as I can here the noises they make.

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2008, 9:26 am

Oh I was hoping this had something to do with the "noise" genre, in which case it would have belonged in the music/arts section.

daysleeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2008, 9:38 am

in regards to noise, my friend josh said it best, "i think you were a small dog in a past life."
that's to mean that sudden or startling noises coming from elsewhere freak me out, but i can totally make my own noise all night if i please without any problems. ;)

i've seriously considered tossing raw eggs out my window at the cars of neighbors who let their alarms go off constantly.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 9:47 am

daysleeper wrote:
i've seriously considered tossing raw eggs out my window at the cars of neighbors who let their alarms go off constantly.

Don't tempt me! :twisted:

daysleeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2008, 9:48 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
daysleeper wrote:

Don't tempt me! :twisted:

do it!! !

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 10:35 am

Loud sudden noises spook me. I must have been a horse in a past life! LOL I literally will jump when there's a sudden loud sound. I don't like loud popping of fireworks. I also don't like high pitched shrill noises...car alarms, emergency sirens, fire works, etc. I hate loud rumbling noises like Harley motorcycles, loud bass emanating from other vehicles or at a restaurant, large trucks, etc. I also hate jet noise...a combination of rumbling with a high pitch shriek, especially fighter jets. There are some horses that go through a process called bomb proofing, where they are desensitized to all kinds of things that frighten horses. I am not bomb proof! I react strongly to any & all of the above sounds. People who see me thinks it's funny. It's not...loud noise causes me physical pain!

Yet I can tolerate the penny whistle which is both loud & shrill. It must have something to do with control. I choose to listen to music with penny whistles. I choose to avoid other types of sounds that I consider noise. I do believe there is a difference.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 11:08 am

For the record I'm not diagnosed AS or anything at the moment, but I highly suspect that I will be in the near future. That's the reason I came across these forums, as probably is the case with many people who suspect themselves of having AS. But anyway, I thought this was worth replying to since I feel so certain that I have lived my 28 years with AS.

My next door neighbors, who I absolutely despise because they are by far the trashiest people on my street, have a buttload of screaming kids living at their house. One kid in particular likes to play with a soccer ball, kicking it up against the side wall of his house, and annoying the crap out of me. The "office" in my house where I do my AS research and web surfing, work on my photos in Photoshop, and play World of Warcraft, is right next to where this kid stands and kicks his ball. He never touches my house, but the noise is so loud and annoying to me that it feels, to me, as if he's hitting my house. Every time it happens, I will look out my side bathroom window and can see that he's clearly not touching my house at any time.

Our homes are brick veneer, and very close together (we live in suburban patio homes). The sound of that ball hitting the brick wall echoes between the houses and makes me almost jump out of my skin. My wife hears it, but she just isn't as bothered by it as I am. It wasn't until I learned about AS that I realized why I feel this bothers me the way it does.

For the record, I call these people trashy not because I know them, but because it is extremely obvious. I do not know these people, and despite the fact that I feel they're trashy, I WANT to meet them. They bought the house next door to me a few months ago and I just can't force myself to officially meet them. I don't make eye contact with them and I've waved and very faintly said "hello" a time or two. Heck even my nicer neighbors I've yet to talk to, except the ones on the other side of me. The only reason I've met them is because their dogs got into my backyard a couple days in a row and I went over to tell them.

By the way, I know I've gone off on a tangent but I tend to do that, so I apologize.

Edit: I hit the post button because I forgot what else I was going to say since I went off on my tangent. Anyway, the other part of my comment was going to be that, while my neighbors' noise does bother me badly, I do tend to turn my music up extremely loud when I'm in my car alone. It has to be only music I like, however, or I won't turn it up loud at all. But when it's my favorite music, I crank it back to the way I would have when I was in high school, which is just a few decibles above piercing! ;)

Landaree
Raven
Raven

13 Oct 2008, 11:28 am

I hate unexpected and/or uncontrollable noise.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 12:08 pm

Until my recent self-Dx (I am seeing a Dr. now and should have a final "official" Dx this Thursday) I always thought my noise issues were simply me being slightly crazy:
I am startled by loud, uncontrolled or unexpected noise, but no more than the average person is, I think.
I hate hate hate repetitive/droning sounds, like clocks (even chronological watches), tapping, dripping faucets, the humming of fluorescent bulbs or speakers. I have, on ocassion stopped wall clocks at friends' homes. I simply cannot concentrate on the conversation with that incessant tick tick tick tick..... AGH!
I hate absolute silence. Because underneath the silence is a constant whining/buzzing sound I can't escape and it makes me crazy.
I cannot sleep unless there is gray noise of some kind- a fan, bubbling water, something to negate the absolute silence.
Likewise, I cannot sleep with the aforementioned repetitive sounds.
And under no circumstances can I tolerate the sound of someone drinking, chewing &/or swallowing if I am not doing the same thing. I have to leave the room.
I also tend to be obsessed about finding the origin of sounds/noises in/around our house. I once searched for a half-hour only to find I had left my sewing maching turned on. It produces a humming that only I seem to hear. But it drove me nuts until I found it and turned it off.
I must must must have silence when I'm on the phone- no TV or radio as I cannot block out one for the other. Likewise I cannot tolerate having someone talk to me while I'm on the phone. It's one or the other. Not both.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 1:22 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
Until my recent self-Dx (I am seeing a Dr. now and should have a final "official" Dx this Thursday) I always thought my noise issues were simply me being slightly crazy:
I am startled by loud, uncontrolled or unexpected noise, but no more than the average person is, I think.
I hate hate hate repetitive/droning sounds, like clocks (even chronological watches), tapping, dripping faucets, the humming of fluorescent bulbs or speakers. I have, on ocassion stopped wall clocks at friends' homes. I simply cannot concentrate on the conversation with that incessant tick tick tick tick..... AGH!
I hate absolute silence. Because underneath the silence is a constant whining/buzzing sound I can't escape and it makes me crazy.
I cannot sleep unless there is gray noise of some kind- a fan, bubbling water, something to negate the absolute silence.
Likewise, I cannot sleep with the aforementioned repetitive sounds.
And under no circumstances can I tolerate the sound of someone drinking, chewing &/or swallowing if I am not doing the same thing. I have to leave the room.
I also tend to be obsessed about finding the origin of sounds/noises in/around our house. I once searched for a half-hour only to find I had left my sewing maching turned on. It produces a humming that only I seem to hear. But it drove me nuts until I found it and turned it off.
I must must must have silence when I'm on the phone- no TV or radio as I cannot block out one for the other. Likewise I cannot tolerate having someone talk to me while I'm on the phone. It's one or the other. Not both.

I feel that I have 90% of what you have too

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 3:31 pm

I have a CD that plays "pink noise," which is like a constant low-frequency rumble. When anybody out there is playing their bass-ridiculous music, as soon as it starts to annoy me I play that CD in a room between the source of the problem and myself. It drowns out their noise and replaces it with a more regular background sound. I must admit it's not a complete fiix, but at least it's a predictable rumble, and I don't find it anything like as distracting as that damned thumping.

Quote:
right next to where this kid stands and kicks his ball. He never touches my house, but the noise is so loud and annoying to me that it feels, to me, as if he's hitting my house

Exactly like that here, only the kid is 2 houses down the block. Somehow the sound travels extremely well, I can practically feel it in any room at the back of the house. I'm sure he's no idea what a racket he's making. Luckily and the people living there don't look too horrible, so I've felt able to be reasonably forgiving - I've got my CD, and he doesn't go on for long, especially in winter. He runs away when he sees me, though he's no need to.

For several years I was using another CD to drown out the noise of the next-door neighbours for several evenings a week when it went on late at night. I had the controls at my bedside so I could set it to the right level to let me get to sleep. The CD was a collection of music I knew I could sleep to. It turned out they could hear my CD and were annoyed with me for carrying on making a noise when they wanted to sleep. But I doubt I'd ever have mentioned it if they hadn't complained to me first. When they did, I just explained that their noise had been the problem in the first place (it was rather heated but we agreed that we shouldn't squabble with each other like that), and since then they've been prety good, and I haven't needed to play that CD since. But I've still got it.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 4:12 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I have a CD that plays "pink noise," which is like a constant low-frequency rumble. When anybody out there is playing their bass-ridiculous music, as soon as it starts to annoy me I play that CD in a room between the source of the problem and myself. It drowns out their noise and replaces it with a more regular background sound. I must admit it's not a complete fiix, but at least it's a predictable rumble, and I don't find it anything like as distracting as that damned thumping.

Where did you get the Pink noise CD? I am very interested in getting my own!

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

WillThePerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2008, 4:51 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
The difference to me sounds like control.
I'm not a fan of loud, seemingly unneccesary noises but I can put on my ipod and drown out the rest of the world.

Same 'ere, except I like putting part of a song into the cassette deck that is my mind.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 4:57 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

Where did you get the Pink noise CD? I am very interested in getting my own!

I made it myself on the computer - if you can make CDs from Mp3 files, or know anybody who can, I could email the mp3 as an attachment from my Hotmail account, if it's any use. Of course you also need a loudspeaker that's capable of playing loud, bassy stuff at an appreciable volume. You can also probably get pink noise on a hi-fi test CD, it's smoother than my sound, but doesn't mask out the thumping so well. Best used when home alone - it's not easy to explain to people, and it's probably wise to consider the social consequences if it should happen to work. It has (once or twice) made me want to get rid of people just so I can use it, though I guess I could always suggest we all go for a walk or something instead.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 6:16 pm

I would rather hear the loud yowling of my Siamese cat than most of the stuff they call "music" these days.