Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 8:32 am

MR wrote:
Music is a different kind of sound. Music is structured. Noise is unstructured. Turbulent. Our brains respond differently to music than to other noises.

I agree that it's the regularity of most music that tends to make it more tolerable. And music is usually designed to please. But I also think one person's "cool sounds" is another person's "bleeding racket." And modern drum and bass tracks are heavily computer-enhanced to make them sound as punchy and penetrating as humanly possible. And there's a lot of car stereos can kick out hundreds of watts of bass power. From the outside, it sounds like a battering ram on amphetamines.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 4:52 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
musicforanna wrote:
I absolutely despise it when my dad turns the tv up loud (he's hard of hearing, too much machine shops and not enough hearing protection for him). I absolutely loathe the conservative talk radio he loves blasting up load (especially since all they do is argue), I also loathe how he has to turn up his action movies to 4589789475 freaking decibels.

Shared rooms with TV/radio aren't really suitable for people with different taste in entertainment. I always think that soft chairs and settees should be fitted with loudspeakers so that each person has a speaker close to their ear. Each speaker should have a volume control. That way, each person would be able to listen at their own ideal volume, without annoying anybody else, and it would be a lot more comfortable than making everybody wear headphones.

My dad was a bit deaf too, though he was also concerned about having the TV too loud. He always said the biggest problem was that film soundtracks have the loud bits too loud compared to the quiet bits, so if he turned up the quiet bits so he could hear the words, the explosions and the pesky advertisements would be deafeningly loud. There is a device called an audio compressor that selectively turns up the quiet bits, but I haven't seen any TV sets or DVD players that have such a feature.

I always refuse to stay in any room where there's loud entertainment going on, unless it's something I happen to be really into. Especially if it's right-wing politics or religious stuff, or some stupid in-yer-face TV program with people shouting at the audience like they're a load of small children. As for commercial channels and their advertisements, I think the TV should have a detector that kills the sound completely, but I think the advertising people have somehow stopped anybody selling a TV like that. :evil:

Oh I understand, and my dad uses the whole example of the old movies with the soundtracks turned up load by the words being quiet... Like yours he'd crank it louder.

The commercials by nature are too much louder than the program. It's almost like they expect you to hear it from one room as you run into the bathroom or kitchen to use it or get something. And Billy Mays (dude who advertises things over the years, especially known for advertising OrangeGlo, OxiClean, Awesome Auger, Hercules Hook, and Kaboom) should have been stopped dead in his tracks a long time ago. I hate his voice. Nails.On.A.Chalkboard.

I'm hardly ever in the living room when my dad watches TV though. I'm almost always in my room.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 7:12 am

Quote:
The commercials by nature are too much louder than the program. It's almost like they expect you to hear it from one room as you run into the bathroom or kitchen to use it or get something. And Billy Mays (dude who advertises things over the years, especially known for advertising OrangeGlo, OxiClean, Awesome Auger, Hercules Hook, and Kaboom) should have been stopped dead in his tracks a long time ago. I hate his voice. Nails.On.A.Chalkboard

I operate a zero tolerance policy on ads - so I just don't do live TV at all. Luckily I don't need to see everything the moment it happens, so I can just record and watch later, skipping through the ads of course. I can't undersand why there isn't more public fury about ads. It's not just the noise, it's the manipulation and the insult to the intelligence, right in the middle of the home.

StewartMango
Toucan
Toucan

14 May 2009, 1:01 pm

Music takes me to a different world and drowns out high pitch noises, it also helps pass the time.
But music like Nora Jones or that song that goes something like "Loving You is easy because your beautiful*high pitch scream*" Or Bright Eyes, John Mayer, Kayne West(my dad DESPISES him), Fantasia, and most rap and new R&B. I like old R&B better. ex. Aretha Franklin(except she killed the National Anthem at Obama's Inauguration), The Four Tops, etc.

www.stewartmango.com

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 1:33 pm

I'm also a bit more sensitive than normal to sounds, especially abrupt noises. I tend to flinch uncontrollably when someone is hammering close by.

I was afraid of loud music for a few years when I was really little but music became an obsession for a while when I was 3-6 years old. I tend to become obsessed with stuff I fear.

Now I enjoy listening to music that isn't exactly soothing - edgier dissonant stuff with weird moods and noisy ambience. I guess I like music that matches my inner state of mind, heavy and intense.