Chances of having another thing along with Autism?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 9:01 pm

A lot of disorders can happen when you either have autism or Asperger's. I for one have almost everything in the DSM IV. How fun. I have depression, anxiety, conversion disorder (not as bad as it was 2 years ago in fact I haven't had a seizure for many months if not years. For all that don't know what conversion disorder is it is a physical reaction to a psychological cause such as seizures {non epileptic seizures} deafness, blindness, and other things that look "physical"), schizoaffective disorder possibly bipolar type, Dissociative Identity Disorder (I don't switch personalities anymore), and others that I can't think of right now. Most of my disorders are controlled with medicine and I'm doing much better. But I have autism, not Aspergers and I know a lot of people on other boards I go on that has schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder and autism. I also used to have panic attacks. All my problems started in 7th grade when I was being attacked daily in school, causing a breakdown. That was my first one and my second one happened shortly after I got out of college. I don't know the percentage of people that have schizophrenia and autism/ Asperger's but I bet its higher than the 1% in the general population. I also have a phobia of bees.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 9:28 pm

WurdBendur wrote:
Almost all people on the spectrum also have some kind of mood disorder like anxiety or depression. But since you say your other problem is not a mood-disorder, these aren't really relevant to that. It's entirely possible to have ASD and pretty much any other neurological disorder at the same time, so there's no telling.
I seriously doubt it's "almost all". I would guess more like half.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com