Chances of having another thing along with Autism?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LifeOfTheSpectrum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2008, 2:10 pm

I have ASD, as some of you know, and another Neurological problem, rather not say, but not anything mood-changing.

I've been thinking for a while, and I was wondering the chances of having something like Depression, Bi-Polar, or something like that. I know it's hard to give a definate chance, and everyone's different, but can I have a rough idea of the chances of having one, as I'd rather not ask my mum to have a psychological test thingy before I know the chances of there being something else besides ASD.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 5:31 pm

Almost all people on the spectrum also have some kind of mood disorder like anxiety or depression. But since you say your other problem is not a mood-disorder, these aren't really relevant to that. It's entirely possible to have ASD and pretty much any other neurological disorder at the same time, so there's no telling.

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2008, 5:33 pm

Yes, it is fairly common to have more things than just aspergers. I got a whole slew of problems that came with the package :roll:

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 10:49 pm

Depends on the disorder, I suspect. I would think bipolar the chances of someone with AS having it are about the same as someone who doesn't have AS. I wouldn't think having one would increase or decrease the chance of having the other.

Depression on the other hand can be a reaction to circumstances and life issues and self image and such. So AS could affect the chances of having depression. I've read people with Asperger's or high functioning autism are more likely than average to be depressed.

Some things may correlate higher because of a genetic connection or some sort.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 11:03 pm

I have anxiety issues and depression. But I am sure my depression is a result of being under the spectrum, my history and my anxiety. And I would imagine that anyone under the spectrum would have a higher chance of having depression than someone who is not. How would you feel if you were made to feel like a freak during your childhood?

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 2:40 am

MR wrote:
Depression on the other hand can be a reaction to circumstances and life issues and self image and such. So AS could affect the chances of having depression. I've read people with Asperger's or high functioning autism are more likely than average to be depressed.

Not surprised. I'm AS and I've been depressed for as long as I can remember.

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2008, 6:06 am

autism is a brain disorder, mental health problems are of the mind. so one could have any number of combinations. one does not preclude the other.
aspies would seem to be more likely to have anxiety or depression related problems, as they tend to find life harder, more complex and more dificult than nts.
there are always heaps of posts about depression and anxiety here, and different treatsments/ medication etc for them- seems pretty common.
i came across this the other day-

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=128&a=3346

it is from the national autistic soc, and begins-

'People with autism or Asperger syndrome are particularly vulnerable to mental health problems such as anxiety and depression'. there you go!

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 6:49 am

Also from the NAS:

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=128&a=3346

Quote:
Depression is common in individuals with Asperger syndrome with about 1 in 15 people with Asperger syndrome experiencing such symptoms (Tantam, 1991).

Quote:
Muris et al (1998) found that 84.1% of children with pervasive developmental disorder met the full criteria of at least one anxiety disorder (phobia, panic disorder, separation anxiety disorder, avoidant disorder, overanxious disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder).

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 7:15 am

To be honest, I've recently been sure that I may also have ADD. I keep telling people to keep whatever they are explaining to me short. Otherwise I have a habit of understand for the first few words, then NOT understanding the more they use examples and carry on. It's the same when they say over and over, it just goes in one ear and out the other without stopping

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 9:00 am

Never thought about it, really. I'm sure I could get anxiety or OCD diagnoses, but I wouldn't know how much of that is my ASD and how much really is the other neurological things.

UnusualSuspect
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2008, 11:05 am

From my reading, there seems to be increasing agreement that a number of "co-morbities" can accompany Asperger's. I have severe ADD, am mildly faceblind, and have some problems with auditory processing. These are beginning to be seen as fairly common.

LifeOfTheSpectrum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2008, 11:41 am

What about people with classic autism, and not Apserger's? (I'm not Asperger's.)

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 12:12 pm

I probably have bi-polar as well. I was never the sterotypical gullible naive AS child. My parents say it was like a had a chip on my shoulder allthe time. I didn't want to play, I wanted to fight. I often hurt other kids on purpose. I was always angry or sad. I was never happy. I couldn't be happy for an extended period of time or for no reason. I needed a tangible reason to be happy. I was a foster child and until I was about nine months old I was constantaly being bounced around from foster home to foster home. I also had to endure forced parental visits with my severly mentaly challanged biological mother who treated me as if I was a toy. I have no memory before five years old. I think the early phycological trama and stress may have had an impact on my personalty.

LifeOfTheSpectrum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2008, 2:58 pm

I've asked my Mum about it, she is reluctant about letting me have a psychoanalyisis (or test or whatever it is) so can I have some info about Co-Morbid Psychological Disorders that are common in Classic Autism, not Apserger's, as that is pointless to me, I mean Classic Autism. Mid-High Functioning. Thanks. :)

I have a strong feeling I have depression, as that NAS link explains EXACTLY what I am feeling (becoming aware of my Autism as a cause of depression.)

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 5:44 pm

I would think it would be about the same.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Muris et al (1998) found that 84.1% of children with pervasive developmental disorder met the full criteria of at least one anxiety disorder (phobia, panic disorder, separation anxiety disorder, avoidant disorder, overanxious disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder).

Probably almost as many people off the spectrum would meet the criteria for some kind of phobia.