New York Times feature about school for autistic male teens

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2008, 1:42 pm

Reaching an Autistic Teenager is an extensive account of the Community School, or TCS, a small private school for teenage boys with autism or related disorders, in Decatur, Georgia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/magaz ... ref=slogin

mikeedwards
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Mar 2015, 1:55 am

It’s nice to see such schools sprouting up. There’s another school by the name of Rebecca School that caters to children with neurodevelopmental delays of relating and communicating, including autistic spectrum disorders. I have heard that it’s pretty good.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 6:46 pm

Wow an actual progressive school in Georgia and they don't try to shove christ down the kid's throats too?! I'm shocked

I wish there was a school like that when I moved to GA when I was 12 nope instead I was placed in a class that dealt with kids whom were more severe then what I was....such is life however I'm glad these schools exist for today's generation

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2015, 8:02 pm

Right. To be honest everyone regardless of neurology could benefit from individualized education. The whole theory is still that people need to learn some things that are more important than others, while it is arguable that education is something that cannot be regulated (on a human level, rather than a national level; for example, how the hell are you supposed to know that all kids need math?).

More parents of autistic children need to be aware of these options. I think we all know how horrible it is inside mainstream schools, with standardized ABA techniques to dealing with children and non-autistic crowds that are practically trained to hate minorities of any kind.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:05 pm