Page 1 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Dec 2008, 8:30 pm

In the past week, I put together a tentative (subject to comments) listing of autism-related movements. The crystal/indigo thingy is one of them:

http://nominalist.wordpress.com/2008/11/29/types-of-autism-related-movements/

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 11:02 pm

nominalist wrote:
In the past week, I put together a tentative (subject to comments) listing of autism-related movements. The crystal/indigo thingy is one of them:

http://nominalist.wordpress.com/2008/11/29/types-of-autism-related-movements/

oh, hello nominalist! so good to see you posting again!

Merle

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Dec 2008, 11:18 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
oh, hello nominalist! so good to see you posting again!

Thank you, Merle. I have just gotten busy with my own advocacy work, and most of my postings are now to autistic email lists.

How are you?

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 2:47 am

i am a child of the great monkey machine

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 6:12 am

But monkeys fling their poo!

My goodness, this has been an entertaining thread. But I'm not calling my child or myself indigo or crystal or any other such hippie claptrap. If there's anything we ain't in this family, it's sensitive to others'... what was it, vibrations? Thoughts? Anything. And I'm seriously skeptical about modern scientific diagnoses as they seldom have an solid basis. But if we have social problems, we'll work on them. Call it AS because it fits the list of traits. Cut us some slack but help us make up the difference. And don't expect us to develop superior evolved mutant powers or something.

Everyone has a handicap. Everyone has a gift. At least one each, and you can grow more. Far as I'm concerned, a scientist is a good guesser and a shaman is a World of Warcraft shapeshifter.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

Crocodile
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2008, 6:27 am

Here in the Netherlands this indigo-children thing is really popular amongst parents who have children with ADHD, ADD or autism. My mother works with autistic children with a mental handicap, and says a lot of parents don't say ''my child is autistic/has ADHD'', but ''I have an indigo-/starchild''. Though my mother believes this crap (she is a shaman and buddhist and spiritist in general and believes all sorts of nonsense and crap) she doesn't believe I'm an indigo-child. She doesn't want to see anything ''special'' in me, she doesn't even admit the fact I'm highly intelligent, despite that I have a very high IQ. But that's not what we're talking about here. Back to the point. I think it is insulting and reducing to kids who actually have autism or ADHD, who have such parents. When you have to say a child is ''extremely special, the next generation'', it means you're not satisfied with who he or she is. Autism was not what they were hoping for when they had a child, so they have to ease their disappointment and compensate for the autism.

It's weak, and dumb.

I GRADUATED WITH THE HIGHEST GRADES OF MY YEAR!! !! !

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 7:05 am

It seems to be little more than a fairytale parents would rather tell themselves and believe rather than admitting to themselves their child is on the Autism Spectrum.

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2008, 7:14 am

I think both the label of 'indigo children' and 'asperger syndrome' are very culturally defined. Western science based culture wants to name anything different as a 'disorder', while there are other cultures which see what is different as something supernatural and godlike. I believe Uta Frith's book on autism talks about this sort of thing. Personally, I see it as a difference. I don't see myself as disordered, nor some special creature with magical powers. However, I do understand that society feels a need to find reasons for people being different. They can't just accept it. They have to find some kind of meaning in it, in order to confirm their own way of being as the normal one.

Exile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2008, 7:14 am

Hmmmm.

Well, we all want to be colorful. 8)

Think I'm going to claim "Ultra-violet" status. I am an Ultra-violet person, superior mutant of the future!

Ultra-violet is not a visible wavelength, is it?

Good. Impossible to disprove. You'll just have to take my word for it.

:wink:

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 9:24 am

If people are going to use 'cloaks' for the name autism, I'd rather see Indigo or Crystal then 'Aspergers'.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 12:59 pm

WTF, this indigo crap again?

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Dec 2008, 1:14 pm

Perhaps I will call myself an amethyst child (after my birthstone). ;-)

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 1:20 pm

I'll call myself long child after my long... :roll:

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 1:28 pm

k_semler wrote:
Ishmael wrote:
So, what's the difference between calling us "indigo children"? Does it mean anything, or is it just being picky about the name? What's she have against doctors? She claims to be a shaman... Oi, she isn't a weirdo, is she? She doesn't mean by "indigo children" some magical nonsense? Because, then I'd have to laugh derisively and say some very condescending things...

Indigo Children, (Wikipedia)

According to New Age belief, Indigo children are highly sensitive with a clear sense of self-definition and a strong feeling that they need to make a significant difference in the world. They are strong-willed, independent thinkers who prefer to be self-guided rather than directed by others. They are empathic and can easily detect or are in tune with the thoughts of others, and are naturally drawn to matters concerning mysteries, spirituality, the paranormal and the occult, while opposing unquestioned authority and contradictory to convention. They tend to think outside the box, and are often referred to as "system busters." Indigos allegedly possess wisdom and level of awareness "beyond their years." They are also said to have a strong feeling of entitlement, or "deserving to be here."

Some beliefs hold that they are often labeled with the psychiatric diagnoses of Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD), Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Dyslexia, and also Autism, and that they become unsociable when not around other Indigo Children. They are also believed to be prone to depression and sleep disorders such as insomnia and persistent nightmares.[citation needed] Indigo children also possess defining characteristics in learning; indigos tend to be more visual, kinesthetic learners so remember best what they can picture in their brain and create with their hands.[citation needed] Movement is required to keep them better focused.

Sounds like Asperger phenotype of an intuitive variation (as opposed to heavily left-brained). Asperger phenotypes are not so bad as to be on the spectrum per se. Parents and relatives of Asperger children are often Asperger phenotypes.

According to nominalist's advocacy blog, Crystal children are the actual Aspergers and, IMO, Indigo are the Asperger phenotypes (pre-Asperger).

Quote:
New Age Movement: The body of literature frequently identified with the “New Age Movement” covers considerable ground. However, one of the issues which some have addressed is the autism spectrum. People who subscribe to these ideas argue that Asperger’s autistics are either “indigo children” or “crystal children.” For instance, Cynthia Berkeley argues that children diagnosed with ADHD “are most commonly misdiagnosed as having ADD or ADHD because they get bored very easily. These children have amazing mental abilities and they are very sensitive to the energies that surround them. They are known as the ’system-busters’.” On the other hand, “Basically, the Indigo Children were born to pave the way, redesign old belief systems and make space for the Crystal Children, who will teach us some even more important lessons…. The Crystals are here to bring love. They are even more super sensitive to energies than the Indigos and are even more psychic. Some characteristics of a Crystal child are that they learn to speak at a much later age (often after 3, 4 or even 5 years old). They are most commonly misdiagnosed with Autism or Asperger’s Syndrome.”

Pretty names, positive, poetic depictions of the syndrome. What harm is there in that? Those New Age people are so warm and fuzzy...

Last edited by ephemerella on 07 Dec 2008, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 1:32 pm

I'm a Yoshichild..eh wait, but then I'd have to literally be a baby Yoshi..er ah, now I'm confused when I was just trying to be cute & silly. LoL

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 1:38 pm

violet_yoshi wrote:
I'm a Yoshichild..eh wait, but then I'd have to literally be a baby Yoshi..

:lmao: