Neurotypicals, what do you think of them?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 6:36 pm

I think the word doesn't really exist and it's just a made up word for people off the spectrum. Lot of people have problems and disabilities and other mental problems. It doesn't describe them nor define them, they are just them. Things people do is because they're human or because they are just a jerk or stupid or a bully, etc. not because they are NT.

I hate people in general but I am not going to hate someone just because they are a person. If they are nice, non judgmental, open minded, not ignorant, I like them. But of course everyone is judgmental and ignorant and everyone is closed minded because we don't know everything and it's impossible to not judge anything or be open about everything or else we be accepting robberies or child molestation or rape.

As my mother always says "What's normal?" and she also says "There would be no normal people in the world" if normal meant not having anything wrong with you and you were perfect.

patiz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2011, 7:04 pm

will require three feeds a day, if you have two you can put them face to face and occupy them for days, will need change of clothes up to three times a day, in groups violence often breaks out, respond well to rewards, sweets, beer, chocolate, remember they are not just for christmas. Oh and their cute.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 7:09 pm

i generally like em but some of them are just plain annoying :P

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 1:38 pm

patiz wrote:
will require three feeds a day, if you have two you can put them face to face and occupy them for days, will need change of clothes up to three times a day, in groups violence often breaks out, respond well to rewards, sweets, beer, chocolate, remember they are not just for christmas. Oh and their cute.

Although I'm an Aspie, this applies to me aswell.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 1:59 pm

Neurotypicals are not all the same and they have their good and bad sides like us. I generally find them confusing and I often get really annoyed with them, especially for the way they treat me and anyone else who is different from them in some way, but I also know they have their good sides. I just wish I got to see their good sides more and their bad sides less. :lol: Sometimes I envy them for something and other times I'm glad I'm not like them.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 2:48 pm

I just feel angry and annoyed at the way they have ''one rule for me, one rule for everyone else'' type thing. If an NT done something, they'll all laugh, but if I done exactly the same thing as what an NT would do, they don't like it. I really don't know what the difference is between me doing something a bit annoying, and an NT doing something just as annoying - even if it's strange.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 4:58 pm

Everyone is different, whether they are NT or not. This means that not all of them are dislikeable, this means that you need to treat every individual with an open mind, and if they turn out to be not worth knowing, then forget about them and move on to someone else.

ducksinarow
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Apr 2011, 5:00 pm

I think it's just as unfair to label and judge someone as "neurotypical" as it is to label and judge someone for being "atypical" or "autistic" or an "Aspie". Everyone is different, and that's what makes life wonderful. There are NTs I love and NTs I don't love.

And how can you say that you are devoid of emotions and unable to feel, when in the very same breath you express anger and hatred. Those are emotions, my friend. And if you can feel those, then you can feel love and tolerance. You don't have to like the cruel things that people do, or the people who do them. But don't categorize everyone because of the actions of a few small people.

Last edited by ducksinarow on 04 Apr 2011, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotCrazy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2011, 7:30 pm

AutisticMalcontent wrote:
I wonder what my fellow autistic brethern think of neurotypicals, because I'm sure there are people who think highly of them and lowly of them as well. So I want to hear what you think.

I'll tell you my own thoughts about neurotypicals. There is a part of me that really likes them and thinks that they are redeemable despite their flaws. I blend in well with them, and although I fake it, and when they are geniunely kind and friendly, I get along with them very well and I appreciate their company. Especially among older neurotypicals who act very mature.

However I will tell you what else I think. I think that neurotypicals have a very destructive nature to them as well. I have seen how they are when they are arrogant, callous, or malicious, and when they act this way, I hate them. I may have been cursed to be shy and weak in front of them, but alone with my own thoughts, I despise them for mistreating me and other people in the past or present.

I also resent neurotypicals because they have been BLESSED, and I mean BLESSED to be able understand their emotions and other people's emotions. True, their emotions can often override their sense of judgement, and they can make poor decisions, but at least they can FEEL. They don't have to live their lives like f***ing robots, devoid of emotional understanding, who can be easily mocked and manipulated. I'm a Christian, but I get so mad at God sometimes because I feel like I've been given the short end of the stick and I'm less than human because of what I have. I often ask Him why I am like this when the majority of mankind doesn't deal with this curse.

These are my thoughts on neurotypicals, what do you guys think?

As I neurotypical I can say that we dislike people like yourself very much. Please note I am saying people like you and not autistics. Neurotypicals like myself feel for genuine autistics but creeps like you annoy us. Just look at what you wrote. You call us arrogant but you speak like a true elitist. We are redeemable in your eyes. Thank the lord. You also call us callous and malicious but your post is laced with anger and resentment. You claim to be an F'ing robot devoid of emotion yet you seem to understand anger, jealousy and envy quite well.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 7:34 pm

NotCrazy wrote:
As I neurotypical I can say that we dislike people like yourself very much. Please note I am saying people like you and not autistics. Neurotypicals like myself feel for genuine autistics but creeps like you annoy us. Just look at what you wrote. You call us arrogant but you speak like a true elitist. We are redeemable in your eyes. Thank the lord. You also call us callous and malicious but your post is laced with anger and resentment. You claim to be an F'ing robot devoid of emotion yet you seem to understand anger, jealousy and envy quite well.

:lol: .. sorry I just find that incredibly ironic coming from someone with that username... on an autistic board. You are 'notcrazy' as opposed to whom exactly?

NotCrazy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2011, 9:09 pm

draelynn wrote:
NotCrazy wrote:

:lol: .. sorry I just find that incredibly ironic coming from someone with that username... on an autistic board. You are 'notcrazy' as opposed to whom exactly?

I don't think actual autistics are crazy. It is a serious issue. However I am disgusted by those who self diagnose themselves with aspergers in an attempt to excuse their behavior. There is a thread on here loaded with people that admit to self diagnosing. They are creeps and hurt actual aspergers suffers. Whats possibly even worse are the enablers on this board that attempt to defend a self diagnosis claiming that the individuals are often better read on the topic of aspergers than their doctors.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 9:48 pm

Followthereaper90 wrote:
i generally like em but some of them are just plain annoying :P

Some Aspies are just plain annoying, too. XD :wink:

Edit: Now that I reread it, it sounds like I might be calling you annoying. I'm not; in fact, I don't really know you at all. Please do not take offense.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 10:00 pm

NotCrazy wrote:
I don't think actual autistics are crazy. It is a serious issue. However I am disgusted by those who self diagnose themselves with aspergers in an attempt to excuse their behavior. There is a thread on here loaded with people that admit to self diagnosing. They are creeps and hurt actual aspergers suffers. Whats possibly even worse are the enablers on this board that attempt to defend a self diagnosis claiming that the individuals are often better read on the topic of aspergers than their doctors.

Well, considering that doctors experienced in Dxing Aspergers in adults are few and far between and that there are no standardized diagnostic criteria for adults and that many doctors try to apply the childrens dx criteria to an adult without accounting for age, education or maturity... how do you suggest this widely underserved population get a dx?

And excuses like 'I have Asperger's, I'm allowed to rude.' don't really fly well around here either no matter how people reach their dx.

Many people here ARE better read than some doctors. Read through more stories - doctor's who dismiss a dx because 'you don't look like you have it', 'you don't toe-walk', 'well, you're looking at me...', 'you have feelings, you obviously don't have it...'. A degree doesn't confer all knowledge to any single doctor. Conversely, there are stories of amazing doctor's as well but those stories are much fewer and further between.

I was commenting on a NT using the 'notcrazy' name. It would suggest something completely different if an Aspie had adopted it.

NotCrazy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2011, 10:11 pm

draelynn wrote:
Well, considering that doctors experienced in Dxing Aspergers in adults are few and far between and that there are no standardized diagnostic criteria for adults and that many doctors try to apply the childrens dx criteria to an adult without accounting for age, education or maturity... how do you suggest this widely underserved population get a dx?

If there are no standardized tests and diagnosing aspergers is so difficult to diagnose how exactly are these individuals self diagnosing?

draelynn wrote:
Many people here ARE better read than some doctors. Read through more stories - doctor's who dismiss a dx because 'you don't look like you have it', 'you don't toe-walk', 'well, you're looking at me...', 'you have feelings, you obviously don't have it...'. A degree doesn't confer all knowledge to any single doctor. Conversely, there are stories of amazing doctor's as well but those stories are much fewer and further between.

This is all hearsay. You are just taking these people at there word. In a way claiming all these doctors to be completely incompetent. Fact is you really don't know what other observations were made by the doctor during the evaluation.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 10:20 pm

Empirical evidence is a valid form of research. Many doctors use this site for that reason. many of the tests used in dxing asperger's are posted here. And the confirmation of signs and symptoms by a knowledgable, informed and experienced community can help guide someone to self diagnosis. In many cases, it is irrelevent. If someone FEELS they belong here - that they have found a group of individuals with which they can finally connect - then that is usually good enough for many.

There are those here that agree with you - I'm sure. I have just found this community much more accepting of people as individuals - not as a diagnosis.

The 'labelling' issue is a whole other ball of wax...

NotCrazy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2011, 10:44 pm

draelynn wrote:
Empirical evidence is a valid form of research. Many doctors use this site for that reason. many of the tests used in dxing asperger's are posted here. And the confirmation of signs and symptoms by a knowledgable, informed and experienced community can help guide someone to self diagnosis. In many cases, it is irrelevent. If someone FEELS they belong here - that they have found a group of individuals with which they can finally connect - then that is usually good enough for many.

There are those here that agree with you - I'm sure. I have just found this community much more accepting of people as individuals - not as a diagnosis.

The 'labelling' issue is a whole other ball of wax...

I'm sure this community is more accepting of people and that many find it easy to connect with people from this community. But it is still wrong to self diagnose yourself simply to enter a group or fit in.