Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2010, 11:55 am

I'm 17 and have a permit now. I'm going to start driving classes near my high school in August.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 12:17 pm

I was 15 when I learned and I got my license finally when I was almost 17. It took me almost the whole school year to pass because my parents were too busy and they had to have some open time to bring me to the DMV for the written test and then the driving. Plus I also had to wait a little bit when I didn't pass. It was my dad that would bring me.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 12:18 pm

23 and still no licence

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jul 2010, 12:19 pm

I got my permit and license when everyone else did, but my mom is such a worrywart that I wasn't allowed to drive on my own for a pretty long time. Maybe her worry was justified, because I just can't learn my way around. It also didn't help that I got less practice than my friends did, because there weren't too many places I wanted to go anyway.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 12:25 pm

I got my permit last year, but I'm dragging my feet when it comes to actually learning how to control a car. TBH it terrifies me.

I have to get it done before my permit runs out, though. Otherwise, I have to go through the process of getting my permit for the 3rd time.

Ixtli
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2010, 5:52 pm

22, no license, no lessons, no nothin', and no intent to learn. People could die.

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 11:12 pm

Permit at 15.5 and license at 17. I was way too scared to drive at first. The drivers ed guy made me drive around the city when I had never driven with my parents before. :(

It's actually very easy after a few times. It's also pretty hard to forget how to drive, so feel free to take long breaks as needed.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 12:07 am

16 because they offered the class in school, but I didn't pass the test. (And I didn't try again, mainly because I really don't want to ever drive on the highway.) I still don't have my license, but I KNOW how to drive.

starquake
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2010, 1:04 am

I was driving in the nearby streets since when I was about 16-17, but went to take the tests and got my license at 25. I was just too lazy to go for it. But my instructor noticed at the first lecture that that is not the first time for me to drive a car :) But here the minimum age required to get a license is 18 and sometimes they are considering to lift it even higher because young ppl just cause to many accidents.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 1:13 am

got my license at 18

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 3:16 am

Define drive.
I've been driving tractors and golf carts since I was like 7
I've been driving cars and trucks since I was 12 offroad
I've been driving cars and trucks since I was 17 onroad

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 10:09 am

I still can't drive because my parents are too f*****g paranoid to let me and keep making excuses for me not too.

Mitsouko
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2010, 10:33 am

Got my license at 32 but in my country it is not considered odd. Traffic in Prague is mad and I am often terrified.
I enjoy driving on highways where there are no trams and crowds of tourists.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2010, 11:58 am

I grew up next door to a engineer who build all sorts of go-karts and dirt bikes for his son, so I was already driving those by the time I was like 5. After that driving cars came very naturally.

Sefirato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2010, 1:15 pm

I got my license at 17. Learned how to drive after my birthday. Let it be noted that I took Drivers' Ed too when I was 16, but I failed the classroom portion of the class because I did not do homework.

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jul 2010, 1:31 pm

I just remembered, that while I got my permit and license at the same time everyone else did, it's worth noting that I did barely pass the academic portion of driver's ed. It was uncharacteristically poor performance for me, and the only time I can really think of that I truly thought I was giving the right answers, but apparently wasn't. Fortunately, the state I lived in at the time is pretty much the easiest state to get a license in. If you pass driver's ed, you get a permit 2 months before your 16th birthday. In 6 months, that permit becomes a full-fledged driver's license without you ever having to do anything.