No, I don't believe in gay marriage. 12%  12%  [ 13 ]
I'm not sure. 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
I don't support marriage PERIOD. 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 111

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 12:27 pm

We get angels on trees from Vikings killing Christian missionaries for sport?

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 12:28 pm

slowmutant wrote:

yeah putting the angels on christmas trees originated from the viking "practice" of impaling missionaries on top of pine trees
They did it first on Yule and Christians came and took it.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 12:38 pm

Kilroy wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

yeah putting the angels on christmas trees originated from the viking "practice" of impaling missionaries on top of pine trees
They did it first on Yule and Christians came and took it.

As as usual, the history behind Christian practises is suprisingly gruesome. The figure who we now know as Saint Nick was once the Greco-Roman god Chronos, who devoured his own children. The figure of Saint Nick has a very interesting history.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 12:42 pm

yeah he has several origina Santa
he takes from a lot of things
most things Christian come from something pagan

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 12:45 pm

Kilroy wrote:

Yes! That's why church history is so fascinating to me. It's just fascinating, how many disparate elements came together to produce this one thing.

Zaraki
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Dec 2008, 1:29 pm

I support same-sex marriage,to each his/her own IMHO (Or w/e it is) noone's forcing for example,the catholic men and women to marry in the same sex,so why force the people who desire to marry into the same sex not to?

Or in Short,they ain't shoving their belief's down YOUR throat's,so why do that to them???

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 3:31 pm

Zaraki wrote:
I support same-sex marriage,to each his/her own IMHO (Or w/e it is) noone's forcing for example,the catholic men and women to marry in the same sex,so why force the people who desire to marry into the same sex not to?

Or in Short,they ain't shoving their belief's down YOUR throat's,so why do that to them???

Indeed! These are words I try to live by. To each his own. An' it harm none, do what you will. I'm not a Wiccan by any stretch of the imagination, but I admire that slogan. Actually, there are a few points of Wiccan philoposhy which I admire.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 3:53 pm

slowmutant wrote:
As as usual, the history behind Christian practises is suprisingly gruesome. The figure who we now know as Saint Nick was once the Greco-Roman god Chronos, who devoured his own children. The figure of Saint Nick has a very interesting history.

Maybe Santa Claus still lives by the old tradition of devouring children ;)

Anyway, I didn't know about that, quite interesting.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 4:05 pm

There was a time when Santa's sack was filled not with toys for children but with the corpses of children, to be ritually sacrified. A "blood libation" was offered to plants, trees, to nature itself. A ritual offering to the old pagan gods to ensure the return of the sun each year. To ensure a good crop.

It sounds absolutely insane, but apparently it's true.

Santa Claus as we know him today is a creation of the Coca Cola company, used in ads around the turn of the 20th century.

Does anyone else find this fascinating?

The Christmas Tree is another old Nordic influence. Originally, it was to give the illusion of Spring during the coldest part of the year. Green Christmas wreaths, holly, etc. were all used in a bid to attract nature spirits, faeries. But if these decorations were left up too long, past the 12 Days, it was said that one's home would be cursed by these spirits.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 4:09 pm

this was a time when people didn't understand where the sun went each days
religion today...is little different
a man you can't see. and will never hear-created everything-loves you, but in his book kills millions and will kill you f you worship another god or a rock or something

christianity sounds more insane the the old paganism

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 4:10 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Yes! That's why church history is so fascinating to me. It's just fascinating, how many disparate elements came together to produce this one thing.

christianity is like rap music: samples from a whole bunch of older material that is then passed off as their own work.

only difference is rappers give props and respect to their sources. christianity looks to deride their sources and cite itself as the origins.

just like the choice of when christmas was placed doesn't fit the descriptions within the bible but rather is based off of the winter solstice pagan holiday. if they would have been accurate to the time of the year of when the baby jeebus was pooped out, it would have been more around june or july.

again: god is as real as yossarian. at least within the confines of how humans mostly define god. if you retcon the definition again, it can be anything you want.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 4:21 pm

skafather84 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

christianity is like rap music: samples from a whole bunch of older material that is then passed off as their own work.

only difference is rappers give props and respect to their sources. christianity looks to deride their sources and cite itself as the origins.

just like the choice of when christmas was placed doesn't fit the descriptions within the bible but rather is based off of the winter solstice pagan holiday. if they would have been accurate to the time of the year of when the baby jeebus was pooped out, it would have been more around june or july.

again: god is as real as yossarian. at least within the confines of how humans mostly define god. if you retcon the definition again, it can be anything you want.

All of these are good points. I'm not denying any of what you say, but as usual your tone is nasty and disrespectful. And I know you do this on purpose.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 4:29 pm

slowmutant wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

All of these are good points. I'm not denying any of what you say, but as usual your tone is nasty and disrespectful. And I know you do this on purpose.

i respectfully conclude that all organized religion is little more than a voluntary oligarchy system.

unfortunately, i don't respect the oligarchy structure in theory or in action.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 4:34 pm

God and organized religion are an unlikely combination. Personaly, I put God before religion, certainly before the Bible. God Himself cannot be corrupted by men, but everything has been.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 4:43 pm

slowmutant wrote:
God Himself cannot be corrupted by men, but everything has been.

wouldn't be much of a god if the whims of man had an effect, right?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 4:48 pm

skafather84 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
God Himself cannot be corrupted by men, but everything has been.

wouldn't be much of a god if the whims of man had an effect, right?

God and man co-create. Through cooperation between divine and human agency, this world has come to be what it is. And Creation still continues ...