I don't support marriage PERIOD. 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 111

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 4:48 pm

skafather84 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
God Himself cannot be corrupted by men, but everything has been.

wouldn't be much of a god if the whims of man had an effect, right?

God and man co-create. Through cooperation between divine and human agency, this world has come to be what it is. And Creation still continues ...

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 9:27 pm

Marriage is not the property of any one religions, culture, or ethnic background. It has existed in endless variation and scope over the centuries. I believe that individuals should have the right to marry, regardless of orientation. I am not advocating polygamy or under-age marriage; the first being a duplication/expansion of an existing more and the latter being a matter of maturation and societal core beliefs. Remember, a few hundred years ago in this culture, marriages existed between what would today be considered children, and the disparity between male and female roles were near absolute - a man could be punished if he allowed his wife to take control under their own roof in some communities only a few more centuries before. When those who were married began to receive special treatment under the law, then this partnership should be available in the same fashion to all. The mentality here is the same sort of mentality that justified the 3/5ths provision and other codified forms of discrimination. Religions may discriminate; governments should not. If a religion does not wish to provide service for those whose lives are incongruous with their tenets, then allow them - there will be others who will open their arms to them. Just as I believe the right should be there, I don't think a church should be forced to condone it... but I believe absolutely that each person should be able to pursue the partner of their choice, and share in any benefit or obligation that comes with the legal commitment.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 10:01 pm

Yes, everyone should understand this.