Is house M.D. an aspie????????



Page 1 of 6 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


Is house an aspie?
yes 37%  37%  [ 77 ]
no 34%  34%  [ 71 ]
maybe 30%  30%  [ 62 ]
Total votes : 210

Mike61290
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: Oct 04, 2006
Posts: 108
Location: Mercury

07 Dec 2008, 12:01 am

He acts a lot like I do when I'm in a bad mood, seeing as how he is always in pain he's probably in a constant state of annoyance. Also it's not too hard to figure out how people react to certain situations. All it takes is a bit of experience and remember, house is an old man so he's had time to learn it and GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE.

He is completely and totally obsessed with how people react to what others do and whatever is different from his experience intrigues him. If his interest is in a social area then he would be able to pick up on our main weakness extremely quickly making him seem far less likely to be AS and less likely to get diagnosed because he has learned the basics.

The fact remains that he exhibits almost all the symptoms of AS that I currently know about, have you noticed that besides wilson his only other friend is someone who is also somewhat of a social outcast?

Don't forget one of the main symptoms of AS is "extreme absorption" in a certain area. Just think if his was the human body and how it works, more specifically the mind. Not only would this explain why he seems to know what people are thinking but this would also allow him to be AS.

As we all know the definition of AS and autism is expanding as those with it often show similar traits.

Another symptom of AS is using metaphors that are usually only understood by the user. He has few friends, high IQ, social outcast, believes in reason, rational thought process, able to predict how people will react. Also his memory is activated at random points as he has epiphanies that are often times set off by a single word. So far that describes me, my uncle, and house. With the exception of our attitudes, I tend to lament people stupidity in thoughts while not saying anything aloud. House on the other hand doesn't care so he blurts it out.

The signs are there, with his interest lying in our weak area he may be disqualified from being an AS even if he is one. Doctors simply do not understand us enough to say we aren't, they can truly only give us a % of how likely it is that we are.


_________________
Never argue with an idiot because they will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.


Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mar 30, 2006
Posts: 5532
Location: Alberta Canada

07 Dec 2008, 12:47 am

Mike61290 wrote:
The signs are there, with his interest lying in our weak area he may be disqualified from being an AS even if he is one. Doctors simply do not understand us enough to say we aren't, they can truly only give us a % of how likely it is that we are.


I had an extreme interest in body language as a kid. It was resurrected for several years when I worked in a bar. I've learned some very interesting things about peoples behaviour over the years, but it still wasnt enough to preclude my diagnosis of AS.

For example, I dont date. I am in that way less functional that many aspies that marry. Or even just date.

And yet I have a knack for articulating what I have witnessed. It just doesnt apply very well to myself.

You can see an example here, but I am a little embarrassed to post it; I dont want to brag.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt83077.html


_________________
davidred wrote...
I installed Ubuntu once and it completely destroyed my paying relationship with Microsoft.


Kajjie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Aug 12, 2008
Posts: 582
Location: Sometimes London, sometimes Coventry

07 Dec 2008, 3:13 pm

Owendust wrote:
I think there was an episode where they dealt with an autistic kid and as one of the other characters, I think it was Cuddy, was listing off characteristics, another one hinted that it sounded a lot like House. I'll have to search through my box of dvd's (I'm in the middle of moving) and try to find it.


"I. WANT. MY. CARPET. BACK!"

I loved that episode.

I dunno if you could consider him autistic. I don't really care because he's a fictional character. I just loved that episode with the autistic boy and House trying to get his carpet back.



2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jul 19, 2007
Posts: 6931

07 Dec 2008, 6:32 pm

1Oryx2 wrote:
Gregory House is NOT autistic. I've been analizing his behaviers for some time now.

You need about 6-7 points to be concidered for ASDs.

HOUSE'S POINTS.

hates change (Lines in the Sand episode: Cuddy took his carpet, House threw a fit)
Difficulty making friends (...okay if you've watched House you know he only hangs out with Wilson)
No tact (He makes fun of sick people...what more can we say?)
Poor understanding of social rules/coads of conduct (He puts his lunch on top of Coma Guy, he squirts tomato juce at Wilson, he mocks his boss, he makes sexest and racest jokes towards patients and colligues)
He fixates on puzzles and medical misteries (...well duh, that's kinda self exsplanitory. If he didn't we wouldn't have a show.)


House really only gets five points. and two of them don't count because House knows he's being an ass -he makes reference to it throughout the show.

The guy isn't 'ignorent to rules on social behavier', he chooses to ignore them.
1Oryx2 wrote:
would an NT do that? *I* know something about social behaviour! I DON'T know enough though. I CAN say that I know as much as house does, given what I have seen so far!

1Oryx2 wrote:
House has good eye contact


How do you know? People HERE speak of tricks! I may look like I am looking at ones eyes. MOST of the time, I am NOT!! !! !!

1Oryx2 wrote:
doesn't stim


I son't know, it seems like he DOES do a number of things. He has watched soaps, played instruments, etc...

1Oryx2 wrote:
he lacks hyper/hyop sesitivity of any kind (House goes to noisy bars and strip clubs with flashing lights)


How could you really tell? I have done that ALSO but, when I get home, OH BOY! Sometimes it takes 3 days to recover!

1Oryx2 wrote:
he doesn't line things up or organise anything specifially


How would you know?

1Oryx2 wrote:
doesn't miss metiphores or sarcasim


Actually, he is at the SECOND stage of this AS symptom. He is CYNICAL! I did they SAME!! !! !! ! I don't think I used sarcasm AT ALL until like the 7th grade.

1Oryx2 wrote:
he doesn't have any sort of gate to his walk -disregarding his bad leg (there was an episode or two after House is shot where we see him running because they gave him strong meds to get rid of pain and it delt with his leg -no gate).


Who said you HAVE to have this? Have they REALLY shown where he might have the typical gate?

1Oryx2 wrote:
House isn't a picky eater (as far as we know) and seems to have no quams about food


Again, do they REALLY give you a good view? I generally eat chicken, and a different dish at each place, but usually the same at each place. At least until I was like 40.

1Oryx2 wrote:
he breaks the rules instead of being ridgidly kept inside them


SECOND STAGE! CYNICAL, remember? AGAIN, I kept to the rules for a LONG time. It is HARD to keep to them while everyone else passes by breaking them. I STILL haven't done things like cheat.

1Oryx2 wrote:
he has no echolalia, no speach dificulties


NOT diagnostic! BTW, I don't EITHER!

1Oryx2 wrote:
he lies and understands that others do too (People tell me and my aspie friends that we're all brutaly honest)


CYNICAL! I was BRUTALLY honest, but NOW I make exceptions.

1Oryx2 wrote:
He doesn't seem to have any sheduals or patterns to his life.


You can only have so many schedules! He IS hyperfocused on his job AND the soap!

1Oryx2 wrote:
House is not autsitic. He's just a jackass (although an oddly loveable jackass).


Would a jackass be THAT good at medicine, TEACH like that, be KNOWN for being honest, when he doesn't have to work against the system to get it to work, etc....?

So, in arguing against your argument, I listed MORE arguments FOR his being AS. Besides, don't forget that it IS a character on a sitcom, docudrama, or whatever you want to call it. It DOES look like they are REALLY trying to make a case for his having AS though.



sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Dec 18, 2007
Posts: 6765
Location: The Castle of Shock and Awe-tism

07 Dec 2008, 7:09 pm

Dr. House is not a house, or a doctor topic

I hate the character, :evil: and have never watched the program.


_________________
Radical Aspergian
Awe-Tistic Whirlwind

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo


Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Dec 03, 2008
Posts: 466
Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

07 Dec 2008, 7:42 pm

FireBird wrote:
I love House! It is my favorite TV show followed by Monk!

Same here.

I feel like I'm in love with Hugh Laurie.



SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Nov 20, 2008
Posts: 700
Location: 'Adrift In a World of My Own'

07 Dec 2008, 8:07 pm

I don't think he does. I think he's just an asswipe. 8O


_________________
(I'm a Girl... ;) )

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes


sanndr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: Nov 25, 2008
Posts: 89

07 Dec 2008, 8:57 pm

"House" has been one of my nicknames.

I generally don't make eye-contact, but I do it very intensely when I want to drive my argument home and force them to think it over before they babble something along the line of "No, it's not like that...", even when they know they've already lost the argument.

Half (if not most) of House's actions seem to be designed to shock the listener/interactor into thinking. And for me, that strategy has worked in the past pretty well. I've toned down on it because it creates tension in the private/personal area, but when it comes to work I use that tool to my advantage.

Yes, at work I'm a jerk. But I'm also the person people come to when they're stuck in a problem.



Saerain
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: Jun 21, 2007
Posts: 115
Location: Rhode Island, USA

29 Dec 2008, 12:41 am

I don't understand why people think House is a jerk, and anyone who considers him arrogant or misanthropic is immediately viewed very poorly in my eyes. For example, most of the other characters.

I don't care that the writers didn't intend House to exhibit Asperger Syndrome. I identify with him better than I probably would if they had.

He doesn't care about the emotional satisfaction of saving a patient, being hailed as a hero, or about the money he or the hospital gains from it. He cares about the puzzle being solved, the answer being found. He cares about knowing and doing what is rational.

He doesn't care about tiptoeing through conversations, saying what's comforting or 'acceptable' in the situation, or otherwise playing a diplomat. He cares about saying what's true, whether humorously or not. When he lies or misleads, it is to provide his team with a mystery to solve, or to save a life.

For all that other characters deride him for what they see as arrogance and misanthropy, there is something they do consistently get right: everything is a puzzle for him. Cameron, for all her overly emotional and imperceptive bitchiness, nailed it: 'You're abrasive and rude, but I figured everything you do, you do it to help people. But I was wrong. You do it because it's right.'

Anyone remember when she said this? After he 'endorsed' Edward Vogler's pointless product in a public speech with: 'Ed Vogler is a brilliant businessman. A brilliant judge of people, and a man who has never lost a fight. You know how I know the new ACE inhibitor is good? Because the old one was good. The new one is really the same, it’s just more expensive. A lot more expensive. See, that’s another example of Ed’s brilliance. Whenever one of his drugs is about to lose its patent he has his boys and girls alter it just a tiny bit and patent it all over again. Making not just a pointless new pill, but millions and millions of dollars. Which is good for everbody, right? The patients, pish. Who cares, they’re just so damn sick! God obviously never liked them anyway. All the healthy people in the room, let’s have a big round of applause for Ed Vogler!'

This ultimately resulted in Vogler leaving the hospital along with his $100 million, and the board hated House for it. They blamed House's inability to get along with another human being. They'd rather have had that cretin Vogler's fortune than flushed him out like the giant s**t he was and they hated House for lacking the masks they had to feign contentment or ambivalence. Because House, as always, did what was right, what was rational, barring all else.

Maybe he's not a textbook example of an aspie, but he is a shining example of what I'd like us to be. The archetypical neurotypical sure can't do it. They're too put-off by the fact that he doesn't humour their delusions and his mouth emits sounds that make boo-boos in their squishy little metaphorical hearts.


_________________
'I don't know if that's an Asperger's thing or not, I think it's just being reasonable.' - Bram Cohen


Last edited by Saerain on 29 Dec 2008, 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mar 30, 2006
Posts: 5532
Location: Alberta Canada

29 Dec 2008, 1:32 am

You nailed it Saerain!


_________________
davidred wrote...
I installed Ubuntu once and it completely destroyed my paying relationship with Microsoft.


DwightF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: Dec 07, 2008
Posts: 224

29 Dec 2008, 11:16 am

Sora wrote:
House seems to know what everyone is supposed to be thinking. I can do that too. I have been called 'very empathic' for this.

But what House doesn't know is what the people are actually thinking. That is noticeable throughout the series.

This. A number of years ago there was, IIRC, a Scientific America article that was a profile of someone on the spectrum who was had a job in industrial behavior design (or something like that, forget the exact name). He was hired to design malls, public spaces, and such because he understood how crowds of people worked. But inter-personal skills he sucked at. The big bags of money he got from his job were spent on keeping his life comfortable via being mostly people-free.

Anyway; Hugh Laurie rocks.


_________________
Please be kind and patient with the tourist. He comes in peace and with good intentions.


2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jul 19, 2007
Posts: 6931

29 Dec 2008, 5:47 pm

Saerain wrote:
I don't understand why people think House is a jerk, and anyone who considers him arrogant or misanthropic is immediately viewed very poorly in my eyes. For example, most of the other characters.

I don't care that the writers didn't intend House to exhibit Asperger Syndrome. I identify with him better than I probably would if they had.

He doesn't care about the emotional satisfaction of saving a patient, being hailed as a hero, or about the money he or the hospital gains from it. He cares about the puzzle being solved, the answer being found. He cares about knowing and doing what is rational.

He doesn't care about tiptoeing through conversations, saying what's comforting or 'acceptable' in the situation, or otherwise playing a diplomat. He cares about saying what's true, whether humorously or not. When he lies or misleads, it is to provide his team with a mystery to solve, or to save a life.

For all that other characters deride him for what they see as arrogance and misanthropy, there is something they do consistently get right: everything is a puzzle for him. Cameron, for all her overly emotional and imperceptive bitchiness, nailed it: 'You're abrasive and rude, but I figured everything you do, you do it to help people. But I was wrong. You do it because it's right.'

Anyone remember when she said this? After he 'endorsed' Edward Vogler's pointless product in a public speech with: 'Ed Vogler is a brilliant businessman. A brilliant judge of people, and a man who has never lost a fight. You know how I know the new ACE inhibitor is good? Because the old one was good. The new one is really the same, it’s just more expensive. A lot more expensive. See, that’s another example of Ed’s brilliance. Whenever one of his drugs is about to lose its patent he has his boys and girls alter it just a tiny bit and patent it all over again. Making not just a pointless new pill, but millions and millions of dollars. Which is good for everbody, right? The patients, pish. Who cares, they’re just so damn sick! God obviously never liked them anyway. All the healthy people in the room, let’s have a big round of applause for Ed Vogler!'

This ultimately resulted in Vogler leaving the hospital along with his $100 million, and the board hated House for it. They blamed House's inability to get along with another human being. They'd rather have had that cretin Vogler's fortune than flushed him out like the giant sh** he was and they hated House for lacking the masks they had to feign contentment or ambivalence. Because House, as always, did what was right, what was rational, barring all else.

Maybe he's not a textbook example of an aspie, but he is a shining example of what I'd like us to be. The archetypical neurotypical sure can't do it. They're too put-off by the fact that he doesn't humour their delusions and his mouth emits sounds that make boo-boos in their squishy little metaphorical hearts.


Gee, you make Ed Vogler sound like a SAINT, comparatively! Don't you remember how he said his father HATED him for stealing money his father gave him for college, and investing it into a friends business, then he had a tirade about how he had so many other successes and NOW, he claims, he wants to solve major illnesses. WHY?!?!?!? Because he couldn't GLOAT to his father about his success, because his father had alzheimers. THEN, he hates House, because of his AS tendencies, and decides to GUT the department.

BTW I used to be a LOT like house. Today I am KIND OF.



Saerain
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: Jun 21, 2007
Posts: 115
Location: Rhode Island, USA

24 Jan 2009, 4:06 am

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or misread something. My post was laced with nothing but hatred for Vogler and the utmost praise for House.


_________________
'I don't know if that's an Asperger's thing or not, I think it's just being reasonable.' - Bram Cohen


DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jul 26, 2008
Posts: 3602
Location: Victoria, Australia

24 Jan 2009, 7:57 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:
He doesn't have bloody Aspergers! He used to be kind, loving, and downright "normal" before his leg became lame (Christ, did no-one watch THAT episode?!). He got so obsessed with keeping his leg that he lost his marriage, and so now he lives on painkillers and other ppl's misery. He's bitter and depressed, and highly intelligent.

Just because he isn't a mind reader, or stupid, does not mean he's autistic.


Agreed, one point that most of you seem to have missed he is VERY good at reading people including facial expressions, therefore as LadyMacbeth so eloquently puts it No he doesn't have bloody Aspergers.

Also just this week I saw a repeat of the ep were AS is mentioned, it is categorically stated that he does not have AS


_________________
"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance anyday"
Douglas Adams

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx


Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mar 30, 2006
Posts: 5532
Location: Alberta Canada

24 Jan 2009, 8:45 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
LadyMacbeth wrote:
He doesn't have bloody Aspergers! He used to be kind, loving, and downright "normal" before his leg became lame (Christ, did no-one watch THAT episode?!). He got so obsessed with keeping his leg that he lost his marriage, and so now he lives on painkillers and other ppl's misery. He's bitter and depressed, and highly intelligent.

Just because he isn't a mind reader, or stupid, does not mean he's autistic.


Agreed, one point that most of you seem to have missed he is VERY good at reading people including facial expressions, therefore as LadyMacbeth so eloquently puts it No he doesn't have bloody Aspergers.

Also just this week I saw a repeat of the ep were AS is mentioned, it is categorically stated that he does not have AS


And it was a general practitioner that stated it. Shes neither qualified to diagnose that, nor is she emotionally removed from him. She has a bias.

And shes proven wrong all the time about all sorts of things.


_________________
davidred wrote...
I installed Ubuntu once and it completely destroyed my paying relationship with Microsoft.


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Page 1 of 6 [ 80 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next



 Similar Topics 
House-An Aspie

in Television, Film, and Video

13 Dec 2008, 2:10 am

Fuzzy View the latest post

Another aspie in the house here

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in General Autism Discussion

05 May 2014, 3:49 pm

OliveOilMom View the latest post

Is House an Aspie?

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in General Autism Discussion

09 Nov 2011, 8:16 am

ediself View the latest post

Is Dr. House an Aspie?

in Television, Film, and Video

01 Apr 2011, 6:47 pm

Bethie View the latest post



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to: