yes 36%  36%  [ 85 ]
no 34%  34%  [ 80 ]
maybe 29%  29%  [ 68 ]
Total votes : 233

IndridCold
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Apr 2009, 5:06 pm

Most people here say: "No he can read people".

I have been diagnosed, I can read people. It took time, but now I can read people better than most NTs. That does not rule out his diagnosis.

They also mention things like: eye contact, understands metaphors, no sensory issues, etc.

I can make eye contact if necessary and am the master of metaphors. I have learned to ignore my hypersensitivity to a good extent.

As far as antisocial being a counter diagnosis, I am the most antisocial and anarchistic person I know. Almost every move I make is to spite the illogical rules that some idiot came up with.

I don't clean my room or make my bed. My hair is often messy and people say I should shave more. I don't smile in pictures specifically because I hate how people smile in pictures "simply because it is accepted".

I completely understand society's rules, I just reject them for being illogical.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2009, 6:45 pm

millie wrote:
i'm proud to say i have never watched an ep of this show (in part or in total) and never will......

That is a really strange thing to be proud of. It's not a bad show.

I've never seen House as an Aspie, just as a bitter man who has had a difficult life. Underneath that bitterness he has a heart of gold.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 6:57 pm

psychotic_jester wrote:
Dr. Gregory house from the tv show...house...how many think he shows aspie traits...vote!

He is more of a pr*ck than an Aspie.

ruveyn

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2009, 7:52 pm

i dont think he is....
he's a druggie i think thats his problem.
and he dosent care he's an @ss.

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2009, 8:15 pm

He seems to be a somewhat NT with aspie traits..

He is obcessed with other people in differnt ways...

He is self centereed in some ways and also likes to take cases that are quite differnt...

has an ego but likes to get combative to make a point or just to argue or prove something.

he likes drama but in a dark way... difficulty to communicate or admit certain things, maybe he can not feel for othr people or is dysfunctional in ways...

the actor that platys house is probally a NT but how the script is written, the aspie traits with the obsessiveness of the character with the eccentric... it is difficult to go and label the character as an aspie or a combination of something.... because as the charcter evolve from season to season, the scripting and acting is subjective to these elements thus could go being an aspie for a while and then something else, or contradicions evident..

I have large hands typing on a laptop, so give me some slack with the spelling. thanks.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 8:27 pm

I don't watch House regularly, but having read the posts here, I see two angles.

1. Not AS. Genius and madness are two sides of the same coin. Someone who is truly a genius and not AS likely has non-Autism issues. Having lost his leg and wife and that leading to issues on the inside, I can see House not being AS but being very antisocial. His career is his life and all he has. Angry, he lashes out in how he treats people...putting himself in his own bubble where he feels safe because he never lets anyone get close enough to hurt him. Misery loves company, so House hurts others so it isn't just him.

2. Has AS. The biggest problem is the lack of consistent history. Likewise, I can see someone with AS ending efforts to be considerate of others rather than waste time and energy trying, failing and feeling bad over it, but House is so antisocial that it seems unlikely to be the result of AS. More so, finding out you have AS is not a license to act badly without apology. Knowing about it helps you to understand what the issue is and how to cope. It should cause others to be more understanding of what you do, but it's never a license to act badly.

NinjaSquid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2009, 8:01 pm

House is more some kind of atypical depressive, a sickness the actor Hugh Laurie suffered from.
I think his antisocial strain is because he refuses to care about a lot ordinary things.

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2009, 12:29 pm

No, he's just House. He has... House Syndrome.

NinjaSquid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2009, 11:12 am

If some thing dont fits your categorys make a new one. :lol:

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

06 Sep 2009, 9:28 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I am amazed by his American accent...I keep listening or him to slip up, and he never does...or if he does, it is so subtle that I never catch it.

I have developed a habit of picking apart people's speech (such as noticing subtle lisps that no one else does until I point them out). I love the show House and don't watch it with the intent to find fault, but noticed a slip in at least one episode.

One episode had a elderly doctor as a patient. This patient wanted to die, however House woudn't allow it because he hadn't yet solved the case. As the patient awoke from a House induced coma, House says "Don't go towards the light". From what I have observed, most Americans pronounce the word toward without the w. Hugh Laurie most definitly emphasized the w, pronounced in to-wards.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Gainer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2009, 4:35 am

Possibly, he cerainly has the right traids except for his observation skills, however my girlfriend says that I can say i can read her very well and i have been diagnosed with AS. My theory is he does have it, just because someone has AS does not mean he/she cannot read poeple, he/she just can;t read them on cue, which house also cannot do

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 5:11 am

Aspies in no way lack the ability to perceive raw data. We are not blind. We see all the body gestures that all humans see. What we lack, to various degrees is the instinct to understand them. We are not unable to learn.

In fact, if its true we are of average to high intelligence, we can learn more readily, and this seems to be the case in my life. I have learned to notice things that other people are not conscious about.

On the other hand, I cannot always emulate correctly. Some things need to be done instinctually.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 5:16 am

The whole thing is complicated by the fact that he's a survivor of child abuse as well. Maybe some of his anti social behaviour is based on that.

Anyone in this country (UK) watching his current nervous breakdown unfold? The actor is playing it very well indeed.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 7:31 am

I dont think he's in the spectrum at all. He's a lying, conniving, manipulative, self-centered s.o.b. that saves lives. I dont know of too many aspies that would intentionally break the rules as much as he does. Besides, if he were an Aspie, he'd know what tests to use without screwing up the patient, and the episodes would likely only last 15 min. :lol: This show is more of a medical Sherlock Holmes, as someone stated earlier . . . course that comparison isnt far off either since Holmes like to spike his tobacco with opium (House uses an opiate as a pain killer).

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 9:44 am

PlatedDrake wrote:
I dont think he's in the spectrum at all. He's a lying, conniving, manipulative, self-centered s.o.b. that saves lives. I dont know of too many aspies that would intentionally break the rules as much as he does. Besides, if he were an Aspie, he'd know what tests to use without screwing up the patient, and the episodes would likely only last 15 min. :lol: This show is more of a medical Sherlock Holmes, as someone stated earlier . . . course that comparison isnt far off either since Holmes like to spike his tobacco with opium (House uses an opiate as a pain killer).

The House portrayed on the t.v. show gets 3 out of every 5 attempts at a cure wrong.

ruveyn

IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2011, 4:24 pm

I've only watched about 3-5 episodes but he reminds me a lot of myself. Don't know if autism plays a factor in this but I've been through a lot and feel like a curmudgeon like that guy. I don't need drugs but the happiest times of my life have been spent on xanax or marijuana similar to House's habitual painkillers or whatever he takes. It's just an escape but if it makes my quality of life better I don't see what is wrong with that. I go to extremes to make a point sometimes too if I know I'm right. Don't know if he has autism but his M-B personality type is INTJ or ENTJ, we have very similar personalities.