Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2005, 7:32 am

I am a simple longshoreman from LA/LB Harbors. I was encouraged by my daughters (aged 8) teacher to research PDD-NOS and other Austistic Spectrum Disorders. What she didn't count on is that i would find myself and my daughter. And submit a 30 page paper on my findings, and subsequent arguments (you know what i mean). Surprisingly, i got caught up in the subject and found my self appalled by the system of labeling from the psychiatric community. The greedy clinicians obviously spent their grant money frivolously and needed to com up with (many) new terms to justify further funding. I don't think that the the AIDS Quilt in Washington DC could fully cover all the differing Pervasive, Spectrum, or Disorders.

I personally BELIEVE in the power of suggestion. Mind over Matter; you believe it, then it will come to be. And labeling (name calling) turning into self ful-filling prophesies.

I personally KNOW the power of suppression, Substance over Mind; you drug the child they will act normal. And Limiting (Same-ness) turning the selfish brat into a normal person.

alex
Developer
Developer

02 Dec 2005, 2:47 pm

It's interesting that you say this. I was recently given a bunch of noise canceling headphones that I'm going to review for WrongPlanet.net. You can play white noise on any headphones so you could use these to decrease background noise while increasing the white noise sound.

Also, pink noise is generally what people consider white noise as the human ear perceives pink noise as white noise and does not perceive white noise as really white.

See this page for more details. it has a link to the pink noise description and it has a good macintosh pink/white noise generator application.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2005, 3:41 pm

I just use a regular pair of noise cancelling headphones with no noise. I just need the sound cut down, not masked.
I work in mental health and we have the cheap noise generators - worse than whatever other noise there might be, but their purpose is to hide the voices in the counseling sessions.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2005, 6:13 pm

i am honored.

aren't you sure its the rainbow noise?

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 2:38 pm

alex wrote:
It's interesting that you say this. I was recently given a bunch of noise canceling headphones that I'm going to review for WrongPlanet.net. You can play white noise on any headphones so you could use these to decrease background noise while increasing the white noise sound.

Also, pink noise is generally what people consider white noise as the human ear perceives pink noise as white noise and does not perceive white noise as really white.

See this page for more details. it has a link to the pink noise description and it has a good macintosh pink/white noise generator application.

Could you mail them to me when you're done? :D

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 6:21 pm

I'm intrigued - I use white noise (or whatever colour it is) to distract me from tinnitus, but I've never heard of using them to cancel out background noise ...

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 11:48 pm

None of this makes any sense to me.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 11:51 pm

alex, I've got those BOSE headphones and they're great. Except after awhile I feel like they're wearing out my ears. They get soar.

But otherwise, I really like them.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/