Page 14 of 15 [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Mar 2009, 9:51 am

Morgana wrote:
All the male characters of the Peanuts comics have AS traits: Charlie Brown has social problems and obsesses about life in general (and he goes around and around in circles with his thought patterns- he was the one I related to as a child), Schroeder has an intense narrow interest, Linus is a "little professor" as well as a "little philosopher", and Pigpen is pretty socially out of it too.
In contrast, all the female characters seem to be intensely "neurotypical"...(particularly Lucy).

I'm not sure about that. Lucy is a bossy boots; her social skills are actually quite limited; she either "organises" people, gives them advice, or tells them off in a pedantic/pernickety way. And the tomboy could be AS, very retiring/silent, etc. Only the little sister might be "normal"!

Did anyone mention the professor in Tintin? Or the Thompsons?

Carrie in "Carrie's War", ( by Nina Bawden ), and maybe her brother, and the boy staying at the Wouldbegoods, and David in "I am David". Badger in "The Wind in the Willows", at least half of the children in the "Swallows and Amazons series", Uncle Quentin in the Famous Five series, Jim in "Lucky Jim" by Kingsley Amis, and most of Anita Brookner's hero(ine)s, aswell as lots in Flannery O'Connor's stories.

In older books the interesting thing is that there are masses of possible/likely Aspergers characters, but their eccentricity or difference is completely taken for granted, accepted, even admired/appreciated.

Last edited by ouinon on 09 Mar 2009, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 9:59 am

Richard Norvik and/or Michael Fitzsimmons, in "Peggy Sue Got Married"

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Mar 2009, 10:04 am

ephemerella wrote:
IMO, the classic witch, the seer/oracle and the incubus/succubus demon, are all female Asperger archetypes, demonized; there are many female phenotypes and archetypes that are clearly Asperger but don't fit into the mold created for the male Asperger definition (yet).
(1) Classic Witch (the weird antisocial know-it-all who lives at the edge of the village and scares all the kids)
(2) The Oracle (the seemingly simple woman who erupts in painful truths and quite accurate predictions
(3) Incubus, Succubus, Devil's Whore (The hypersensual, intense woman who attracts men but is socially defenseless).
In classical or mythological or fairy tale literature where you have an intellectual female, like Cassandra, half the time she has Asperger traits, [ but ] many people wouldn't recognize the Witch archetypes as Asperger models. ... The stories are written so that all talented, isolated women do things that make them deserve to be attacked and killed, ... hated and feared.

Very interesting. I agree with that analysis.

Asperger men in the past, ( in literature and history ), are less visibly "odd" because that kind of behaviour was accepted in men, ( then ). But in women it was feared.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Mar 2009, 10:19 am

Morgana wrote:
... the very common theme of the "logical" creature trying to take over, and rule the world? In the 70´s, this fear was often portrayed as the humanoid-computer trying to take over the power of humans. It seems like there´s a whole history of evil androids, robots, extraterrestrials and other "logical" creatures that try to "take over". As this theme comes up again and again, it seems, to me, to be illustrating a very important psychological fear. "Normal" humans fight doggedly against the "rational", desperately trying to keep their "emotion", and that which they feel makes them "human". Could this be a reason for the fear against people with autism? Could it be the reason for the "cure-at-all-costs" mentally that some people seem to have? Could this be the reason why some use words like "lacking in empathy and imagination"? ?

Interesting that it has arisen since feminism created space for AS women, "space"/rights/opportunities for the "alarming" AS woman, that had not previously existed.

However I think it is possible that such fear of "logic" ( as opposed to emotion ), may be the result of increasing amounts of scientific proof of our being determined by our genes and environment; a panic in the face of evidence that we do not have free will.

And perhaps this explains some of the fear of people who seem to personify that kind of relentless logical progression.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 10:44 am

I just realised that all of the main characters from Friends (with the exception of Rachel, who is NTness incarnate) have some aspie traits.

Phoebe - she is seen as weird, and she stands by her principles even when other people don't agree.
Chandler - making jokes at inappropriate times (I do that too, LOL). And once Ross and Rachel had to explain various social rules to him, like that if someone asks if they look fat, you just answer instead of looking at them first.
Joey - he's too sociable to be an aspie, but he takes things literally a lot. Also, he has "weird" eating habits, like eating a massive jar of jam with a spoon (I do that as well, LOL).
Ross - he's obsessed with palaentology and annoys the others by talking about it. He corrects people's grammar a lot as well.
Monica - OCD for sure, she's always cleaning and is really organised.

y es como un semestre"

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 11:14 am

Wednesday Adams, from the Adams family films.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 4:13 pm

ouinon wrote:
Morgana wrote:
All the male characters of the Peanuts comics have AS traits: Charlie Brown has social problems and obsesses about life in general (and he goes around and around in circles with his thought patterns- he was the one I related to as a child), Schroeder has an intense narrow interest, Linus is a "little professor" as well as a "little philosopher", and Pigpen is pretty socially out of it too.
In contrast, all the female characters seem to be intensely "neurotypical"...(particularly Lucy).

I'm not sure about that. Lucy is a bossy boots; her social skills are actually quite limited; she either "organises" people, gives them advice, or tells them off in a pedantic/pernickety way. And the tomboy could be AS, very retiring/silent, etc. Only the little sister might be "normal"!

Hmmm, I never thought of Lucy in that way before. I guess when I watched the show as a child, Lucy seemed to have social skills- (but then again, what did I know?). I remember she seemed quite confident, and appeared quite comfortable in the world, like she belonged here. This, to me, seemed to be what other kids were like, but not me. I guess that´s why I related to Charlie Brown so much, he seemed to be as uncomfortable and out of place as I was. Actually, although many of the other Peanuts characters have AS traits, I still think Charlie Brown is the most Aspie. Who knows, maybe the creator has AS traits?

WhittenKitten
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2009, 4:54 pm

Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 4:58 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
MartyMoose wrote:
Doctor Manhattan from the Watchmen

Ror is. Note how he doesn't use pronouns, his rigid thinking, his lack of personal care, his "poverty", his lack of empathy, his monotonous voice (even more so in the book), his obsessiveness, flat affect, etcetera. They call him a sociopath, but he ain't one.

John kinda is the next step up from "genius syndrome" in my opinion.

Ror has always been how he is for the most part, whereas John being turned into "god" made him lose some human relatedness (but nowhere near as much as people think).

I can see it. Ozymandeus Has some traits as well like his high intelligence, cunningness and his bizarre obsession with ancient Pharoahs.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 5:11 pm

b9 wrote:
i like "doc martin" which is an english show about a doctor with horrible social skills.
i do not know if he is written with AS in mind, but i certainly identify with some of his lines.
there is not very much on youtube about the show and this is the best clip i could find, but there are many much better scenes i remember.

I can remember my parents telling me there was an episode in which he was interacting with a member of the psychiatric profession who thought he had AS, and that Martin said that was nonsense.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 6:06 am

Someone in Skins has it now, apparently. They say so in one episode (there was a thread on it and I paused the trailer at the right time and I saw a diagnosis paper that said something about Asperger's and autism on it).

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 3:06 pm

Quote:
House from House M.D.
You wish.

Don't start all that again. House is an Aspie... and he isn't. Okay it's a matter of opinion so quit arguing!

Anyway, the ones that really spring to mind for me are Adrian Monk (I know he's got OCD but he was an 'odd' kid) and Stork from Storm Hawks. He's kinda obsessive, paranoid and doesn't like to be touched. I think he's funny and a lot like me! (I know paranoia isn't part of AS but it's something I suffer with...)

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 2:10 am

ignisfatuus wrote:
I didn't read all the replies, but if he hasn't been mentioned, Raistlin Majere from the Dragonlance series.

That's interesting. I thought about Raistlin as well, but I'm not sure I'd say he has AS.

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 10:55 am

Guys, do you honestly think people like Huckleberry Fin and Sherlock Holmes have AS even though they were created in a time before autism was even known? Diagnosing people like this isn't accurate.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 12:21 pm

Autism wasn't known; but autistic people existed, and that archetype was used to create characters like Sherlock Holmes (who, I think, most likely would have been Aspie if he were a real person instead of a fictional character).

Huck is not Asperger's, nor anything else. His distance from society is related to his family situation, not any difference in neurology.

An obvious case, from a more modern children's book: Zero, from Holes.
Speaks very little, considered "ret*d" and underestimated by just about every adult, and is mathematically gifted and capable of rapid calculation, despite never having been taught math. He's also illiterate, at least at the beginning of the story.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2016, 1:39 pm

This is such an interesting discussion. I'm learning a lot.
Some people mentioned Mr. Bean. I don't believe he qualifies because I read the interview where the actor says he is playing an adult four-year-old. Hilarious as all get-out though.
I just published a science fiction trilogy where some of the characters have autism and Asperger's, including the main character. If you hate religion, don't read them. https://www.amazon.com/Shatterworld-Tri ... oks&sr=1-2