Autistic Girl Kicked out of Girl Scouts

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2008, 3:06 pm

Nan wrote:

Do we know for sure that the first troop was oversized? If so, why was the little girl asked to leave and not someone else?

Wait, from what I understand, the LFA-girl was not forced to leave her original troop by the troop leaders. Did not her parents make the decision to leave the original troop, known as the "2 year troop"?

And her parents also made the decision to sign her up for the "disability-troop", am I right?

The question, from where I stand, is who, acting on behalf of the girl, decided that the girl should leave the "original troop"?

But when Magi's Brownie troop grew too large and her parents moved her to a smaller one for children with special needs-ABC news

Ok, I rest my case. The parents moved her from, what we like to call, the "Brownie troop".

Since everything was fine when she attended the "Brownie troop", I suggest that her parents put her back in that troop.

I ask myself, why did the parents move her from the Brownie troop in the first place? Because the troop got to large? Seems like a strange reason for moving her, especially since she seemed happy there.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 3:00 am

Katie_WPG wrote:
When I use the phrase "toughen them up", I'm not refering to giving up on life. I'm refering to being able to cope with the same expectations that "normal" people are held to. In this case though, it doesn't work. No matter how much you try and treat a severely disabled person as an "equal", they'll never be able to live without assistance. So telling them to "toughen up, and cope" is cruel.

But if someone is capable of achieving higher education and living independantly, then is it really in their best interest for their parents to constantly shelter them?

"They'll be bullied in regular education, better put them in special ed."
"Higher education and getting a job will be too hard for them, better set them up with welfare."
"Why should I teach them how to cook and do laundry? They'll end up in a group home anyways."

And yes, I HAVE met parents of AS people who are exactly like this. The adults with AS that I've met who didn't have parents like this are able to function. The ones who do have parents like this are not able to function.

When I hear people say things like this, I can't help but think that these are the statements from someone with real world responsibilities envious of those who are sheltered. If someone is sheltered, they can choose to be independent or not. People who never get those options, instead of admitting they would have liked them, instead claim that the people who are treated kindly and get those options didn't have parents who made them have to cope, like they had to. So that those people are missing out on more, or are less functional than the people who's parents just let things happen to their child.

When someone doesn't like having to live in their functional world, and all the pressures, seems they like to take it out on the people who don't have to. Rather than admit it's a life they'd perfer, instead they say something is wrong with the life that the sheltered person leads to make themselves feel better.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2008, 10:28 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
Katie_WPG wrote:
When I use the phrase "toughen them up", I'm not refering to giving up on life. I'm refering to being able to cope with the same expectations that "normal" people are held to. In this case though, it doesn't work. No matter how much you try and treat a severely disabled person as an "equal", they'll never be able to live without assistance. So telling them to "toughen up, and cope" is cruel.

But if someone is capable of achieving higher education and living independantly, then is it really in their best interest for their parents to constantly shelter them?

"Higher education and getting a job will be too hard for them, better set them up with welfare."
"Why should I teach them how to cook and do laundry? They'll end up in a group home anyways."

And yes, I HAVE met parents of AS people who are exactly like this. The adults with AS that I've met who didn't have parents like this are able to function. The ones who do have parents like this are not able to function.

When I hear people say things like this, I can't help but think that these are the statements from someone with real world responsibilities envious of those who are sheltered. If someone is sheltered, they can choose to be independent or not. People who never get those options, instead of admitting they would have liked them, instead claim that the people who are treated kindly and get those options didn't have parents who made them have to cope, like they had to. So that those people are missing out on more, or are less functional than the people who's parents just let things happen to their child.

When someone doesn't like having to live in their functional world, and all the pressures, seems they like to take it out on the people who don't have to. Rather than admit it's a life they'd perfer, instead they say something is wrong with the life that the sheltered person leads to make themselves feel better.

I've seen first hand what that kind of attitude can do to a person, okay. My cousin who is mildy physically disabled was sheltered his entire life by his mother, and now that she's dead, he's at the mercy of the state. We try and help him as much as possible, but his future is kind of out of his hands. They've encouraged him to claim mental incompetency. He actually DOESN'T have a choice, as he has no source of working income. So much for that assumption.

Do you think he feels overjoyed at this situation he's in? No friends, no work experience, with the possibility of having to be moved to a group home against his will? It's a scary situation, for anybody. These people with AS who have been raised the same way, what happens when their parents die? They'll probably go through the same thing. Anything to avoid THAT kind of fate is a plus, in my book.

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 9:06 pm

So much for the tolerant Girl Scouts. Bigots , bigots everywhere and not a tolerant person around.

tlcoopi7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2008, 4:36 am

I was in Girl Scouts from 10-12 and I enjoyed it greatly. I still have my sash and pins. I hope to lead a Girl Scout troop someday.

http://www.myspace.com/tlcoopi7 My MySpace Profile

http://www.facebook.com/tlcoopi7 My Facebook Profile

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 9:26 am

Katie_WPG wrote:
violet_yoshi wrote:
Katie_WPG wrote:

I've seen first hand what that kind of attitude can do to a person, okay. My cousin who is mildy physically disabled was sheltered his entire life by his mother, and now that she's dead, he's at the mercy of the state. We try and help him as much as possible, but his future is kind of out of his hands. They've encouraged him to claim mental incompetency. He actually DOESN'T have a choice, as he has no source of working income. So much for that assumption.

Do you think he feels overjoyed at this situation he's in? No friends, no work experience, with the possibility of having to be moved to a group home against his will? It's a scary situation, for anybody. These people with AS who have been raised the same way, what happens when their parents die? They'll probably go through the same thing. Anything to avoid THAT kind of fate is a plus, in my book.

Is that really a fault of his or his mother's, or the fault of our country in not knowing how else to regard Neurodiverse people, other than to warehouse them?

I have had a discussion about this with my parents, and we decided I'd end up living in an assisted living arrangement after they pass on. Perhaps the problem was a lack of discussion before the parents died, and seeing to it that your cousin was taken care of properly.

Kasuki-Chan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 1:33 pm

i quit girlscou8ts, they wouldn't let me go to the next level, they never said why...

"this is my kekkai genkai!" ~Kimimaro~R.I.P
TEAM HD3H, NEMESIS OF DELOREANDUDE!