Good fine motor skills - Good gross motor skills. 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Poor fine motor skills - Good gross motor skills. 21%  21%  [ 9 ]
Good fine motor skills - Poor gross motor skills. 40%  40%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 43

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 9:38 am

I'm not sure. My handwriting is good, yet I hold a pen differently. I am bad at sports because of my lack of co-ordination skills. So I guess I'm somewhere in the middle.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Nov 2008, 9:45 am

Clumsiness and a strange disconnection to physical time-space is my biggest problem. I've broken all my toes bumping into things throughout my life. Then I found Keen Newports, shoes that have toe bumper guards, bought a bunch and that's all I wear. Wear a house pair too. Really helps because my broken bones started really hurting.

Was trained intensely at age 7 in classical piano performance, then violin performance. It took those Aspie communication and fine motor skill odd-wired regulators and turned them upside down. Became very good communicator, very expressive, very musical, very fluent with fingers -- so much so that ppl couldn't handle me because I never stopped. Also, was trained for stage performance and the old European model of "Eccentric is best and will get you more publicity" so I stared at people and looked them directly in the eyes because that's how I was coached.

To start with I had horrendous handwriting but an early teacher made fun of it in front of class and gave me a chart and made me practice each letter 100s of times. I was so humiliated and aghast, had not cared about handwriting, but she made this huge public deal about how it reveals a person's quality and personality etc and let me tell you my handwriting became beautiful, a work of art. I had to work assiduously at it and studied all kinds of writing and still to this day consciously take pride in my handwriting and keep evolving it. Sort of a shock therapy thing at a very young age.

But I can't draw at all or do art. Only trees which my brother showed me how to draw when I was little.

Couldn't learn to tell time, read a clock, tie my shoelaces. But was good at sports but got expelled at school for playing football with the boys. My Dad and brothers played with me. It seems if an Aspie has coaching and training they can learn anything. Got expelled from school constantly for innumerable stupid little things -- wearing pants, saying a bad word (but everybody else was too and worse), jumping in puddles, signing my name with a swirl -- trivial things but now I realize they were part of hierarchical/social/gender/rule blindness and drove the authorities insane.

Cannot learn to drive yet. Cannot process fast-moving deadly large cars zipping all over with loud sounds and inattentive drivers not following rules. Terrifying. Run over by cars, family died in car accident. Sit in a drivers seat to try to learn and it feels like the most foreign nightmare torture devised.

Cannot maneuver objects through doorways well. Always running into things and people. Trouble driving a shopping cart. Awkward with a wheelchair. Think it's my partner next to me at frozen foods and make comments and look up and it's a total stranger looking at me and backing up like I'm a dangerous display at the zoo.

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Nov 2008, 9:51 am

Ephemerella, very interesting! I was definitely a tomboy and preferred boys and playing dodge and football. Never did understand the doll thing. Also didn't have friends. The school principal, on one of the many times I was expelled, told my parents I would end up a lesbian and in Sing-Sing (prison). Neither happened. I'm asexual, a virgin forever, and have never had legal troubles and have been doing eldercare for 35 years, saving lives.

Also, able to keep up my handwriting because always writing detailed notes and lists to be able to function and stay on track. But always using the keyboard has made handwriting feel odd and archaic at times.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 10:17 am

Cascadians wrote:
Clumsiness and a strange disconnection to physical time-space is my biggest problem. I've broken all my toes bumping into things throughout my life.

Me too! Lots of broken toes.

Cascadians wrote:
Was trained intensely at age 7 in classical piano performance, then violin performance. It took those Aspie communication and fine motor skill odd-wired regulators and turned them upside down. Became very good communicator, very expressive, very musical, very fluent with fingers -- so much so that ppl couldn't handle me because I never stopped. Also, was trained for stage performance and the old European model of "Eccentric is best and will get you more publicity" so I stared at people and looked them directly in the eyes because that's how I was coached.

I agree. Once you train those pathways so they are under control, the sensory integration dysfunction becomes the source of superior abilities.

Cascadians wrote:
Cannot learn to drive yet. Cannot process fast-moving deadly large cars zipping all over with loud sounds and inattentive drivers not following rules. Terrifying. Run over by cars, family died in car accident. Sit in a drivers seat to try to learn and it feels like the most foreign nightmare torture devised.

I have a lot of car accidents. Try not to think while driving anymore.

Cascadians wrote:
Cannot maneuver objects through doorways well. Always running into things and people. Trouble driving a shopping cart. Awkward with a wheelchair. Think it's my partner next to me at frozen foods and make comments and look up and it's a total stranger looking at me and backing up like I'm a dangerous display at the zoo.

Seems we have similar issues with having learned to have accomplished motor skills but still difficulty with the subconscious process of orientation, navigation and whole-body coordination.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 11:29 am

Mine are both kinda sketchy, but my fine motor skills are definitely better than my gross motor skills...
I am amazed that i have never broken any bone, but i have fallen down alot. I was always the slowest and clumsiest kid in school. It did not help that I was so very much a toe-walker. I bump into people and things and I drop things and I do things more slowly than othe people would most of the time. I only feel graceful when I am on my bike, and my bike feels like it is an extention of my body..and also I feel ok in a swimming pool...because of the lessened gravity.

My fine motor skills serve me for playing the ukulele...though I can't do solos...or anythign too fancy...and I also do alot of hand-sewing....and they serve me well for that...

When I am handwriting, it can tend to be really bad and all over the place...unless I reeeely focus hard.

It is weird the way I can do hand-lettering, but my handwriting is deplorable...

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 12:06 pm

I had really excellent fine motor skills/above average for my age during childhood, but I cannot recall the same about my gross motor skills. I seem to move differently from others people and it was most obvious in childhood, but not to my disadvantage (means, I was running in a way that made others tease me, but I was under the top fastest students anyway).

As far as fine motor skills go, I was a very clean writer, people commented on my drawings in kindergarten and such and I could help adults with tasks that required fine motor skills and fine motor coordination.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 2:35 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
..and also I feel ok in a swimming pool...because of the lessened gravity.

Swimming is actually the only sporting activity I've ever been good at. I love it actually. I remember my sports teacher being amazed that I was such a graceful swimmer. I remember feeling smug afterwards, since she gave me such a hard time during all the other lessons. Ball games where the worst, because my coordination was and still is hopeless. The fact that I hate competitive games just compounded it.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

29 Nov 2008, 2:47 pm

Fine motor skills are ok; though I can't draw. Gross motor skills are absolutely shocking. Dyspraxia is a silly thing.