Anyone else feel cheated by the school system?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2008, 9:06 pm

I feel like the school system failed me big time. It gave me the message that being intellectually gifted meant that I could do anything I wanted in life. I sure wish someone would have clued me in that there are, um, a few other skills you need. Or that I had a problem with socializing. Or that sitting quietly in class and never causing any problems is a major sign of a major problem. Or that your SAT/college board scores forming the core of your self-image is a trifle unhealthy.

I thought NTs were supposed to be able to read the non-verbal cues. So where were they? 8O

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2008, 9:14 pm

The school phailz. Send the stalkers to the guy who walked into a door! HELL YEAH!! ! :twisted:

End it all?

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 9:17 pm

Callista wrote:
Double negative confusion :P

Palpatine: do you mean, "It cannot be proven that children kept at a "traditional level" have fewer social-related issues than those not kept with their peers"?

Or something along those lines... (I know a double-negative is not actually logically equivalent to a positive where statistics is concerned...)

The double negative was intentional (I was hoping someone would notice). There is some research that grade accleration does not cause additional social issues, but may instead reduce the social-related issues. I would link to the research, but my posts are not high enough.

Check out "Hoagie's Gifted" (not a plug!) I do not have any connection to whomever operates the site.

Ledvia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2008, 9:20 pm

yes....i've been cheated plenty

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 9:22 pm

My high school experience (grades 8-12) was horrendous. Although my grades were excellent in grade eight, they progressively slipped, semester by semester, as I struggled with poor central coherence (ability to look at the big picture, and contextualise correctly) and near non-existent organisational skills. Kids bullied me - usually by verbal abuse, calling me "psycho", "ret*d", "reject with the girls" etc. That made it extremely hard to concentrate on my studies. Other kids were able to concentrate on both the social aspects of school, so I figured I ought to be able to as well. Alas no, thus anxiety about failing in the social realm crowded out the academic side of things. Those kids got away with doing untold psychological damage, as well as distracting me from what we were actually at school for.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 11:29 pm

timeisdead wrote:
I wasn't left behind, although I wasn't allowed to skip ahead like they would have let me had I been emotionally mature. It made me loathe every single minute of school. I actually perform much worse when I'm not challenged because I neglect to even try if the material is too simple. I strongly prefer fast paced math and science courses to slow painfully drawn out classes in which the teacher constantly reiterates to the point of annoyance.

But you WERE held back! I was also! SURE, I advanced to the next grade each year. I followed the standard pattern. So HOW was I held back? I was WAY ahead in several areas. The schools either didn't have the ability or the desire to fulfill the needs. BTW you ECHOED what I said even in the first grade! When I think of all the stupid things they did. HECK, they EVEN had me study words I ALREADY knew!

In some ways, the educational system has thrown out things that were developed in the 1700s-1800s, even though they were GOOD ideas. They ALSO didn't adopt some nice things from the 1940s-1960s! NOW, they probably don't even use nice things from the 1980s-2008! I could mention just 6-7 ideas that could set the educational system on fire if they caught on.

PRSobsessed
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2008, 12:17 am

I can't complain about my life outcomes, but they knew, were monitoring me and never told me. Not even after I graduated. Caused a few meltdowns in HS math teachers who didn't understand what they were teaching. I didn't know what I was doing to them emotionally when I showed the class what it ment.

Now, back to the "I can't complain about my life outcomes" ... do I tell my daughter because she clearly has AS and plenty of intellect and spunk to melt HS math teachers? Lord help me if she decides to do it for fun!