Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 2:52 pm

Looks like they're getting lots of drama in the court room...it might almost be humorous if it wasn't so disgusting.

http://portal.wowway.com/news/read.php? ... d=13676821

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 2:55 pm

What grounds could you possibly defend him on?!

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 4:24 pm

Endersdragon wrote:

Exactly. You just worry though how much he might be able to play with the press on this kind of thing though - especially the European press and Al Jazzira. Its gonna tough to keep him and that other guy from making a complete mockery of this.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 5:20 pm

Course then again how long has good ole Sloby (Slobadon Milonvich or however you spell it) been able to avoid his own execution.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 5:43 pm

The point of the article is pretty clear though: regardless of how beligerent these guys wanna act, having a fair trial is paramount to the future integrity of the new Iraq's court system.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 5:58 pm

When I try the link I get immediately redirected to thier home page and can't find the article?!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 6:47 pm

It was on my ISP's home site, I guessing that means they're deleting and replacing the headlines a few times a day.

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

07 Dec 2005, 7:51 am

Endersdragon wrote:

lol. not really funny, but it is.

Well, if he were in the United States, his lawyer would be looking at a technicality to set him free.... lol. "Wait your honor, where was the warrant and my client was not marandized....." :roll: :roll:

think they'll televise the hanging?

toddjh
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2005, 11:36 am

Endersdragon wrote:

Everybody deserves a legal defense at trial. You do the same thing you always do: question the credibility and motives of witnesses, try to get evidence excluded, propose alternate theories, etc.

There's no way in hell Saddam will get off, but don't blame his lawyers for defending him. It's their job, and it's a vital one. After all, if someone as terrible as him gets a good opportunity to defend himself, that means you will, too.

The part I don't understand, though, is why Saddam is apparently allowed to come and go as he pleases. The news keeps reporting that he and his lawyers keep walking out of the courtroom because they don't like the way things are going. Why do the judges let that happen?

Jeremy

catwhowalksbyherself
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2005, 10:04 pm

Quote:
Well, if he were in the United States, his lawyer would be looking at a technicality to set him free.... lol. "Wait your honor, where was the warrant and my client was not marandized....." Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

If it was in the UK he would get two years and time off for good behaviour. Or an anti-social behaviour order.

I'm not keen on the death penalty being enacted on him though - however he probably shows little remorse, so keeping him alive to repent of his crimes seems a bit absurd.

pernicious_penguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2005, 3:32 am

hang him already

Jonazz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2005, 5:29 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Endersdragon wrote:

Exactly. You just worry though how much he might be able to play with the press on this kind of thing though - especially the European press and Al Jazzira. Its gonna tough to keep him and that other guy from making a complete mockery of this.

You read a lot of European press?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 10:51 am

Jonazz wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Endersdragon wrote:

You read a lot of European press?

I don't even wanna go there...