Do you Have Dreams? and Do you remember dreams?

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Do You Remember Your Dreams?
1. I Don't think that I Dream 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
2. I Usually Remember my Dreams 45%  45%  [ 31 ]
3. I know I've had a Dream but lose the details when I wake up 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
4. I Can Remember my Dream for about 2 hours after Waking - then it disappears 26%  26%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 69

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jun 2009, 11:15 pm

Certain dreams I remember for a long time. For example, here are some dreams I had from my childhood many years ago that I don't think I'll ever forget, and one from this past week:

I was in the car with my parents and Dad was driving. Ahead of us was a school bus. It turned to go over a distinct looking bridge illuminated by gold lights. We followed it. Just as we were crossed to the other side, we passed a store that was playing the song "Those Were the Days." Outside on the sidewalk in front of the store was a black-haired fair-skinned woman smoking a woman's pipe (can't think of the name of these from the '60s---they held a cigarette in the end of them). In the window of the store was a display rack holding three dresses. The display rack was very odd looking with the three dress hangers. In the dream I awoke, and I got in the car with my parents and re-lived the dream again. I was thinking, "Wow, a psychic dream!" But, that was also part of the dream---a dream within a dream. Then I actually awoke and really pondered the dream. I realized the bridge crossed the Ohio River and that it was the Ironton Russell Bridge nearby my home. To this day, around 40 years later, I still get a strange feeling crossing that bridge. It was lit in real-life by gold lights. On the other side is an unusual store---Corby's. Around three years ago, I finally decided to go to that store and see what it was like. Even though Corby's wasn't there when I dreamed that dream, it was the location of the store in the dream. So I went to it. And wow! It was room after room of unique gifts, collectibles, and antiques. And in one room was fancy women's dresses---and an unusual old triple dress holder---similar to the one in the dream 8O . They also have a room that specializes in old songs on CD. I looked, but didn't find a CD with "Those Were the Days."

Another rememberable dream was that I went with my Dad to visit a house nearby (it is still lived in and finished in painted cinder block). When I entered the house, I saw a little girl who was hooked up to life support machines. Instead of being confined to a bed, she was strapped in a standing position in a large swing for four people (the wooden type with two benches facing each other). She was swinging back and forth as the motion of the swing kept those machines going. Tubes ran out of her mouth and nose. She couldn't talk.

After a great uncle died, I had a nightmare about him. I walked into the backyard of my house and parts of him were scattered about the yard. I remember seeing his liver lying on a picnic table. I had a little trouble sleeping after that.

I had a strange dream this past Wednesday or Thursday night. I dreamed my family and my wife's family were going back to Walt Disney World. Mom wanted to ride Space Mountain so I got a fast pass ticket. It was marked for 1:15, but we had to arrive to the attraction at 1:00. The attractions at WDW were all inside this huge round airport terminal type building. Space Mountain had its own little terminal entrance, but I couldn't find it. There was a man playing a drum in the room. Mom was starting to have second thoughts about riding. I couldn't find the Space Mountain entrance so my wife drew a map to it. Just as I started to enter it with Mom at 1:00 I woke up for real to a banging noise. I thought it was someone at our back door. But it must have been a neighbor in their garage working. I looked at the clock and it was exactly 1:00 :roll: . I got up, looked around the house, then I heard the banging again, but it was someplace down the road. I went back to bed and watched the clock realizing that it was strange I awoke at 1:00 which was the time in the dream that we had to enter the line. I thought, what will happen at 1:15? I kept watching the clock...1:12...1:13...1:14...I started getting anxious. I turned away from the clock for a couple seconds thinking, "I can't look." But I looked...and it read 1:16. What happened to 1:15? Then I heard a motor start up and die, start up and die, each time sounding closer and louder, over and over again. Well...it must have been a neighbor working in their garage late. I must have dozed off for a minute and missed 1:15. But...it's still quite a lot of coincidences.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 1:21 am

shadowmeld wrote:
I know this:

1) I dream in color. No recollection of any black and white dreams.

2) I find I tend to have a mish-mash of dreams that have to do with real-life things I have experienced recently for the most part.

3) I don't recall ever really having nightmares, so to speak of.

4) I usually dream in first-person pov, though occassionally I do dream in third person pov from what I can recall.

5) I tend to daydream a lot even when I'm awake.

I am the same. i spend half my day in an internalised state of daydream also.
I really do have what is like a movie screen that plays all the time in my brain. it is on ALL the time. It gets tiring and I do believe it is one of the reasons I find communication so exhausting - the pics in my mind do not stop and communicating with others is another task that exhausts me.

IT is very vivid and very, very strong.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 5:22 am

I have execellent dream recall and remember alot of dreams I've had, I sometimes write them down if they have an epic stroyline or something. I've had a few lucid dreams too, some I try to wake up some I tried not to, and I've noticed it's harder to purposly wake up from a lucid dream that it is to stay in it.
I don't dream in black and white always in colour. I've also had reacurring dreams and I had nightmares before, one of the recent reacurring dreams is where I'm being choked and no matter how loose I make my shirt I'm still strangled. And I also get deja vu LOADS, like a few times a week, both awake and in dreams.

Oh yeah and I daydream almost constantly, sometimes I daydream for so long I end up completely spacing out.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 5:33 am

DJRnold wrote:

Oh, and has anyone else here had a dream that was a continuation of a previous dream?

YES!! ! once I had that 3 nights in a row, it was like a series. It was about one of my friends were getting bullied so I saved him from them and he had this cool dude makeover or something, and it was quite uplifting too.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 7:38 am

Dreams are very interesting.

If you were chased naked down the street by a lion in real life you would NEVER forget it.

Yet when you dream it the memory fades.

What interests me is that when I dream I sometimes remember that I have dreamed this before.

This leads me to think that our "dream memories" and our "real life memories" are stored in different parts of the brain and that dream memories can only be recalled in the sleep state.