Is eating the same things over and over an Aspie thing?

Page 3 of 8 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 3:59 pm

I think my life would be a LOT easier if I didn't have to spend so much energy trying to plan meals. And this is from one person, living alone, not somebody with a family to feed--I don't think I could even DO that, not without a lot of practice.

I wonder if repetitive sorts of diets are a compensation for bad executive function; because it seems like that would be a solution. Somebody who spends a lot more energy than me on meals might, to ensure he ate at all, take the simple step of always eating the same things.

Hmm... I bet meal-planning services would help a lot more autistics live a lot more independently... I wonder if anybody offers that? Seems like there isn't much available, in between doing it all yourself and having it cooked for you.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 4:00 pm

I always eat and drink the same thing at breakfast. I got perturbed when the mug I used to use cracked :( , and had to start using another one.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 4:03 pm

I have a very limited range of what I'll eat, and am extremely picky about certain things, like the ripeness and texture of fresh fruit. (I live in California, but every piece of fruit that's available in the stores has been kicked all the way from New Zealand or Chile.)

Then again, I won't have a meltdown if something isn't quite right.

I'd eat a more varied diet if I had my own personal chef. I tend to mess up any meal that's more complicated than a bowl of oatmeal, and most of it goes to waste...and then needs to be cleaned up. Life is hard enough without all that.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 4:56 pm

As a young man I tended to eat the same food day in day out. When I meet my wife my diet started to get a bit more variation.

I think that the weight watcher's food books are great, even if you do not have a weight problem becuase things like the complete diet book has lots of easy to cook but fun to eat food in it.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 5:28 pm

Very much so.

I eat about 5 total foods and eat them with certain kinds of utensils.

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2008, 5:59 pm

I only eat certain foods off of certain dishes too.

For breakfast Sunday through Friday I eat Cheerios without milk out of a special bowl with a cup of chocolate milk. I got the cup in 1997 at a Nickelodeon show at Darien Lake. Saturday I have three glazed donuts with milk in the same milk glass I've had for several years.

For lunch I have a peanut butter sandwich or a cheese sandwich.

For dinner I have cheese pizza or a grilled cheese sandwich.

I eat vegetables raw. I eat bananas, raisins, and US Gala apples (Not the ones from Chile)

I drink milk and water. Orange Juice when I'm sick.

ericksonlk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2008, 8:41 pm

I like all my food separated, without touching each other, but I can eat if it is not that way, without any pleasure of course.

jd1515
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Dec 2008, 2:31 am

For five years I've eaten the exact same sandwich for lunch. All the ingredients have to be from specific stores in my city, roast beef from the local butcher, monterey jack cheese, onions, mushrooms and french bread from a certain bakery, heated for 1:25 in the microwave. If I don't have any one of the ingredients, I have to make a trip to buy them, if I can't get them, I just skip lunch altogether. My mother can't stand this, but I don't see the problem with it and the sandwich has never grown old.

In high school, I couldn't eat the school lunch (the aforementioned sandwich had to be right out of the microwave), so I had two packages of unheated S'more Pop Tarts every single day for four years. Needless to say, my peers thought I was a bit nuts.

edit: I also seem to be the only person I know who can taste the difference between Sunkist soda and Slice/Minute Maid/Fanta, I'll only drink Sunkist, and I drink it obsessively.

Last edited by jd1515 on 06 Dec 2008, 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 2:34 am

I like as varity of foods and have aspergers os it can not be a nesceiity

mystyc
Toucan
Toucan

06 Dec 2008, 3:47 am

Gastrointestinal problems is one of the illnesses comorbid with AS (though not so widely known). I suspect it is due to this disposition towards less flexible eating habits and routines.

Yes, I too have this habit. I cannot avoid falling into a routine, I can only periodically change it with some effort.

aspartame
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2008, 4:41 am

I also have fairly inflexible eating preferences, and I'd rather skip a meal than eat something that violated one of them.

I ate the same breakfast (two packets of maple and brown sugar oatmeal) every day from kindergarten until I started college.

I love vegetables; I'll eat any of them except corn. I hate corn, and feel ambivalent towards potatoes. Nearly everyone I know thinks that this is quite strange; they claim that corn and potatoes are the two vegetables that everybody likes.

I do not like most mixed textures, especially baked goods with nuts in them and anything that has cooked dried fruit, like pilaf with raisins.

I would be content to eat the same few things over and over again. Like many others on this thread, I have standby dishes at every restaurant I visit regularly. I am unwilling forgo these dishes in favor of trying something new, just in case I make a mistake and the new meal is worse than the one I know I like.

I like most of my foods lukewarm, and when I am eating leftovers, I never reheat them.

I like my food to be extremely spicy, salty, or both. I eat an almost unbelievable quantity of salt.

I have a "favorite" mug that I use all the time, even though it's exactly the same as three other mugs I own.

Maddkow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Dec 2008, 12:12 pm

pensieve wrote:
VMSnith wrote:
Which is to say, the NT's eat any old random crap :-b

Yep, they don't care when breakfast, lunch or dinner is. Ach, someone gave me dinner at 5pm and not 6 - i ate in silence and didn't enjoy it one bit. It was also what I didn't plan on eating - another reason to feel uncomfortable.
In the city my ex and his friends ate around 7 or 8 - not 6, so i once again was uncomfortable.
Once my sister got up at 11am and had pizza for breakfast - wha? I felt very confused.

I tell people that I eat at a certain time, but they think it really is no big deal. Usually I will be making dinner now but I've already eaten. What am I supposed to do?

Man, I like have to have breakfast before noon, otherwise my day is pretty much ruined, and for some odd reason I can still have lunch at 5pm, even when others are telling me that it's too late for lunch.... lol

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 1:18 pm

I love eating Spaghetti Noodles (most of the time just the noodles but if it's with the sauce I'm find NO BIG Tomatoes piece stuff though LOL!) I also eat MOST of what my mom cooks but at times she says you only eat X thing why don't you change etc. LOL! I'm not a burger person unless it's fast food(yes I know they are greasy/unhealthy) I also love certain foods at restraunts (for example the Fajitas is $13 so I thought I'd spend $5 and get the soup uhh it might be $13 but I'll STICK with my fajitas. LOL!)

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 9:21 pm

Lentil soup with sausage, curry rice and energy drinks.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 9:30 pm

Definitely an aspie thing.

This trait still remains w/ me fairly strongly. I switched my diet over to an extremely healthy one a couple years ago in order to treat my ASD and other symptoms. I still stick to the same routine foods/herbs etc. I do cycle through a variety of dishes, but with a lot of the same basic ingredients. I'll eat the same thing for weeks pretty much, then one dish may have just kinda run it's course & I get onto a different one again, or back to an old one etc.

Zilphy
Raven
Raven

10 Mar 2015, 9:51 pm

I'm glad to hear about this. My husband jokes with me about it. I can eat the same thing everyday. I can actually eat my favorite foods every meal. I don't cook much for my husband. It is too much pressure to plan and present a meal. I'll eat my favorite foods together, even though they don't typically go together. Olives, fish sticks, cheese, bacon, banana pudding etc...