Is eating the same things over and over an Aspie thing?

Page 1 of 8 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

AGMorehouse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Dec 2008, 8:44 pm

That definantely sounds like me! Whenever I go to Pick-Up Stix near where I live, I always order the House Chicken with Dumplings (or cream-cheese wantons) and noodles. It' usually a favorite.

you will jouney from boy to man

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 9:09 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
I eat the same thing over and over for months. Eventually I'll get a bit tired of it and I'll switch to something else.

Repeat.

That's me.

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2008, 9:19 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
YEP! If you keep changing all the time, etc... you probably don't have AS.

I wouldn't necessarily say that's true. I'll pretty much eat anything... I love trying different foods and I would die from boredom if I had to eat the same foods every day. Sometimes I project that train of thought onto my cat and feel bad that he has to eat pretty much the same food every day, even though I know he really doesn't mind. But I give him different flavours and stuff just to be sure.

My mum raised me to eat lots of different things, but it can't just be that, because she raised my (NT) brother the same way and his selection of edible foods is MUCH smaller than mine. He's a very fussy eater, whereas I'll try anything and only have a select few foods that I dislike.

I'm very rigid in many aspects of my life, but not in food. I enjoy the variety so much. It's one of my biggest joys in life, probably because it's a variation I can handle without it upsetting or overloading me :)

ThisUserNameIsTaken
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2008, 9:48 pm

As a kid I always stuck to a very narrow diet. That changed once I got to college though. Left to my own devices and able to choose every meal that I got to eat I quickly burned out on all my usual foods. After that I started looking for new things to try though my diet didn't really expand until my sophomore year when I got desperate enough to start cooking meals from scratch. This year though my diet has gone back to a rather narrow selection of foods since I no longer have access to a private kitchen (went from an apartment style dorm to the traditional/crappy dorm style) and with the meal plan I was forced to buy there's no longer any incentive to cook.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 9:51 pm

I like variety, but sometimes it seems like a limited variety. Chinese, Indian, Thai, Tex-mex (when you're on a low-salt diet, spicy is the way to go...;)

I do tend to eat the same things for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but every once in awhile, I'll try something new.

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2008, 9:59 pm

I like a variety of foods, however I tend to get into a routine.
I eat pasta with either peas or greenbeans in either a vegan "cheese" sauce or tomato sauce at least three times a week. I also eat good a deal of rice and almonds.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 10:15 pm

I love a broad spectrum of foods (although I was an extremely fussy eater as a kid).

But when I cook, I make enough to last me for at least 3-4 days of the same food usually, because I just want to eat it over and over until it's gone.

Different veggie every day usually, and often a different side, but the same main course.

I rarely eat out now (maybe only 2-3 times a year), because the best food in the world--to me--comes from my own kitchen. :chef:

And no, you're not invited. :evil:

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 10:57 pm

At any given restaurant I tend to order my favorite dish every time. I have one or two favorite dishes for every type of ethnic food. It's always trial and error finding something I like so I tend to stick to one or two things once I discover them. It's upsetting to order something you don’t like at all and end up leaving hungry because of it. Trying new things all the time just isn't worth that risk when I already know what I like. With my own cooking it's even worse. Probably only a 1 in 10 chance I'll actually like something new I try to cook. With those odds I don't even bother.

Last edited by marshall on 03 Dec 2008, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:02 pm

I tend to get a crush on some food and stick to it for a long time. At restaurants I always order the one dish that I like the most.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 12:12 am

i think i mentioned it a couple of weeks ago in another post. everything i eat is doused in chilli...loads of it.. i crave the same food taste all the time with very little variation. in the mornings i have porridge - and it eath THAT without the chilli!

It is a very AS thing i believe, to tend towards the same food tastes and/or textures.

GuitarGeek70
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Dec 2008, 5:31 am

i must have cocoa pebbles all day, everyday. i crave them. the sweetness, the CRUNCH, the ICE COLD milk. the milk has to be just a hair above its freezing point, it tastes SO much better that way! i always have the fridge temp setting cranked to 9, which makes my brother crazy. i've also been on a pita bread kick for the last few months. just toasted and buttered. mmmMMMmm.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2008, 5:44 am

For breakfast and lunch I always eat exactly the same thing. If my routine is changed I feel a bit off-centre for the whole day. But I still live with my mother, so I'm subject to her culinary whims at dinner time (she'd get offended if I said I wanted to cook my own meals all the time).

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2008, 6:21 am

I've been finally living on my own the last year (meaning I'm now buying my own food), and my variety of food was very very limited.

I'd eat hotdogs (fast meal), frozen burritos, and the same canned foods such as chili or ravioli. I'd get these things every time I went to the store to get more food. Eventually I got sick of hotdogs and replaced it with ramen, but the other ones remained.

People have been shocked several times for years about my eating habits, and my mom now is bugging me about it, so now I'm getting: milk, cereal, cheese... Of course, I still eat in the same way, from the easiest to prepare to the most annoying to prepare, so my variety is nearly as limited as it was before anyways.

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2008, 6:28 am

Pasta is always my answer to what do i want for dinner :D
And pnuts every day :)

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 7:10 am

Kaysea wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:
I eat the same thing over and over for months. Eventually I'll get a bit tired of it and I'll switch to something else.

Repeat.

That's me.

Me too.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

unwishfulthinking
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Dec 2008, 7:26 am

Maybe....or maybe all I know how to cook is bolognese. But practice makes perfect, all my friends agree.