what should I expect at my first visit to the gynecologist?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 7:57 pm

what should I expect at my first visit to the gynecologist? im kinda weary, scared, and nervouse about being "touched" and all but i need to go im 19 and i should get my first check up. im scared though what should i expect?

Alisscious
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2008, 8:40 pm

Ask for a lady who is sensitive to special needs. Seriously, it is what I will be asking for at my next visit.

That will make it so much more workable. When they ask you to change into the gown, ask specifically what they want off.

Ask for details. Be calm, it will be just fine.

They are going to feel the sides of your breasts for lumps. They will check inside with a little weird gadget. Oh, and you will pee in a cup. It should be only weird, and fine a little while after you are done.

Goodluck and Don't worry, Be Happy :)

Blatherskite
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2008, 9:44 pm

[editied by sinsboldly]

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 12:14 am

Make sure you are clear about your sexual history so you don't end up having tests you don't need, or not getting ones you do, and have the provider tell you what he or she is doing. Providers make a lot of assumptions.
There's the bimanual exam too. That's a couple lubed fingers inside and a hand on your belly; I think it checks ovaries. It's really weird but it shouldn't hurt. It's a standard part of a pelvic exam.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 12:38 pm

I just had my first exam. I was sooo nervous to do it that I was crying when thinking about it. But I pretty much just disasociated myself by not thinking about it at all and going about what I needed to do in autopilot.

But actually the exam was not as bad as I expected. Yeah its kind of awkward and feels wierd but its only a couple of minutes and doesn't hurt. It's pretty easy to get through if you keep your mind off it and don't work yourself up.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 12:42 pm

Well, I guess you said 'what should I expect' so I will address that question. Here's how it goes: They ask you to take your clothes off and put on the medical gown and sit on the chair thing with a blanket over your lap. (They leave while you change but do it uick cuz they'll come back in a few minutes) Then they put your feet in some feet things and make you lay on the end of the table so your knees are straight up and the Dr lifts the blanket. They open 'it' up with a metal thingie but its not cold and they don't open it very far so it doesn't hurt it just feels funky. They they kind of dab around a bit with a q-tip and that feels weird too. Then the Dr puts some fingers inside and feels your tummy with the other hand (this is to feel the shape of the uterus, make sure its all normal, no tumors or cysts) and that's pretty much it. They usually talk to you about something 'small-talky' while doing it to make it less awkward so you might need to prepare yourself for small-talk.

They may also do a breast exam at the same time, they kind of just poke around in a circular motion on the breast.

That's it I think. I know how it can be about the unexpected, I always need details on what to do. So I hope that helps. :)

tlcoopi7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2008, 10:23 pm

Since this would be your first gyneclogist exam, ask if a chaperone could be in the room with you. The chaperone's job is to make sure that the gyneclogist is doing a professional job and it will lessen your fears. During my first gyneclogist exam at 20, the nurse practitior asked me if I wanted a chaperone with me and I said yes.

No matter what exam that you are going through, always ask questions about any exams, tests, or any other concerns. This shows that you are proactive in your care and have a better understanding what the doctor is doing.

http://www.myspace.com/tlcoopi7 My MySpace Profile

http://www.facebook.com/tlcoopi7 My Facebook Profile