Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 10:38 pm

Do you all think House could be an aspie?

LeonKrahe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2008, 10:43 pm

Wilson did bring that possibility up to Kuddy (sp?) a season or two ago, but it was her professional opinion that House was just a jerk.

I reckon to argue that House is both.

psychotic_jester
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2008, 11:57 pm

do a search in the forum this was discussed a couple times...I even made a poll about it a couple weeks ago...the forum was about split on votes

"we used to steal countries through the cunning use of flags, just sail around the world and stick a flag in. I CLAIM INDIA FOR BRITAIN! You can't claim us...we live here...500,000,000 of us...Do you have a flag?" - Eddie Izzard

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2008, 2:09 am

I still say House isn't, but Bones is.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 10:07 am

House is TOTALLY Aspie, however he has got other issues which is why he acts like a jerk. I only fancy Aspie-type characters, not NT ones!

Legato
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 5:53 am

House probably is. But, like Wilson always jumping to cancer, we seek to explain things with what we are familiar with.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

10 Dec 2008, 9:43 pm

He seriously isn't. He's just a bitter, highly intelligent, depressed man. He has tremendous theory of mind (he knows exactly what his co-workers are going to suggest next, etc), he has no sensory issues (apart from his leg, which is INJURED), and the simple fact that he wasn't diagnosed when they brought up the topic itself!

I think what they were trying to do (the writers) was comment on how complex the disorder is, and how it can easily be missed, AND mis-diagnosed. And I think probably a lot of aspies have written in asking about it. Not to mention the "sudden" up-surge of diagnoses in the country.

Just because he is highly intelligent, likes to be on his own, and has small tolerance for ppl, DOES NOT MEAN he's got Aspergers. Which I think I've said before many times.

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

10 Dec 2008, 9:46 pm

I'd say he is just a jerk, and very cynical.

I love him though.

Wikan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Dec 2008, 12:14 am

That House.. Quite possibly the most rational fictional character on TV, and my favourite one.

Among all kinds of disorders, Aspergers is not likely to be "the one" addressed him, though I think alot of us like the idea. He is extremely observative on body language, as well as metaphores and sarcasm. He has no difficulty expressing himself spontaneusly and correctly, removing many kinds of general autistic symptoms. In my opinion it is mainly due to his rational thinking many of us with AS can relate to him.

11 Dec 2008, 2:07 am

He's a jerk and very agitated. But aspies can also be that.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 2:08 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:
He seriously isn't. He's just a bitter, highly intelligent, depressed man. He has tremendous theory of mind (he knows exactly what his co-workers are going to suggest next, etc), he has no sensory issues (apart from his leg, which is INJURED), and the simple fact that he wasn't diagnosed when they brought up the topic itself!

MAIMED might be more correct. But your meaning was clear.

The character is about 50 years old(Hugh Laurie is 50ish). How many 50 year old aspies are dxed? Not many. To give you an idea, I was 22-24 when the dx of aspergers was introduced. I was self DXed at 33 or so and DXed a year later. House was already a man of 40(if the character had existed). Thats how old he is, and thats how new the idea of aspergers is.

Quote:
I think what they were trying to do (the writers) was comment on how complex the disorder is, and how it can easily be missed, AND mis-diagnosed. And I think probably a lot of aspies have written in asking about it. Not to mention the "sudden" up-surge of diagnoses in the country.

Agreed. And I love the show all the more for that.
Quote:
Just because he is highly intelligent, likes to be on his own, and has small tolerance for ppl, DOES NOT MEAN he's got Aspergers. Which I think I've said before many times.

Maybe. But just because he has no sensory issues, understands sarcasm, and can anticipate people doesn't mean he is not. Aspies are not totally useless at body language. We vary. Quite a lot. And a 50 year old genius doctor is going to have a lot of accumulated knowledge. There is very little behaviour that a intelligent mind cannot bend itself around.

And none of those things are diagnostic of aspergers anyway.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 7:29 am

Even people with AS can learn body language and sarcasm. It just takes a little longer. He's plenty old enough to have had loads of practice! In most other ways, he is very much like me, but then again I have a quadruple diagnosis of AS, TS, ADD and OCD and (rather coincidentally) a dystonic right leg which makes it go stiff like House's! My best friend calles me House! So what I am trying to say is that with more than one condition, one symptom might out-fight the other one. (for example, my AS makes me a messy disorganized person but my OCD wants everything straight and neat!)

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 10:34 pm

Definatly. People are always saying Grissom from CSI has AS but I just cannot see how. Greg Sanders might have some traits but not Grissom. Saying House cannot be AS because he can understand sarcasm and has a theroy of mind is sterotyping. Do I not have AS because I can understand sarcasm and have some ToM? If House's character was that of a child or young teenager I might have doubts about his possible AS but he's an older character. He's definatly had plenty of time to learn sarcasm and develop a little theroy of mind. I've really only seen like two or three House M.D. episodes. I can't stand his cocky attitude so I don't watch it that much. I can't stand that kind of attitude in the real world so why should I have to watch a television program with a main character like that?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 2:10 am

PunkyKat wrote:
I can't stand his cocky attitude so I don't watch it that much. I can't stand that kind of attitude in the real world so why should I have to watch a television program with a main character like that?

PunkyKat, have you ever watched "The Shield"? The lead character is.. an insane level risk taker. Not a very nice man either, but I've always rooted for him. In a way, he is the underdog, and you want to see just how far he can push it. So that appeals to the aspie in me.

House is similar. Every episode everyone thinks he is wrong or they are opposed. He stands firm on his convictions and ultimately prevails. He might be the type that would exclaim: "Who cares if nobody likes you, as long as you are right". As an aspie, I enjoy seeing 'smart' beat 'social'. House makes that happen.

It feels like aspie justice.