I sweat the small stuff, but not the big stuff.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2008, 9:16 pm

Is anyone like me in the sense that they fall to pieces over something small yet when something big happens they are able to take it in and stride and easily deal with it?

Take for example when my grandmother died. I never cried once. I didn’t freak out. I wasn’t distraught. I was very close to her and saw her nearly everyday of my twenty three years of my life... yet I couldn’t get upset.

I could easily accept that she had moved on. Of course she had been very sick for while and to me, the essence of her had long since left

Yet the other day when I was unable to get a chicken sandwich I had a near meltdown. I whined and fretted and bitched and even cried because I couldn’t have a stupid sandwich.

There was also the case a few years back when our two dogs attacked our chicken. I calmly tied up the dogs and rescued the chicken by placing her in a cardboard box and taking her indoors.

Yet I can have near panic attack when forced to answer the phone.

I go to pieces and worry myself to death over such trivial things. When it comes to the really big things that makes most fall to pieces however, I can deal with said problem easily.. almost to the point where I am seen as cold and uncairing.

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 9:45 pm

I do this ALOT! For example my little sisters 9 and 7 can fall and scratch there knee and I smirk/laugh or they get yelled at for doing something wrong but with a busted lip I freaked out. Also if my nephew (at 18 months) were to hurt himself it could be VERY SERIOUS even DEATH! So I feel I OVER WORRY about him while his mom and dad have an oh well attitude IMO. (Oh he's going to fall he's going to get hurt etc.) Me: Well he could of busted HIS SKULL OPEN! (the mom/AKA my sister:Ya and I COULD of won the lottery.) I worry ALOT over him. :-)

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 10:54 pm

it could be transferrence. You channel the grief you feel you should be consumed by into a smaller, more immediate problem.

But I could be wrong.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 11:13 pm

I sweat both, the small stuff and the big stuff. Explains why my anxiety is bad.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 11:23 pm

Depends on the situation for me, I suppose.

I made a mistake at work on Thursday which could have been extremely expensive had we not found a compromise. It still ended up being pricey, but to the tune of a few hundred dollars, rather than many thousands. This bothered me to no end, perhaps because I know they have been looking for a good reason to get rid of me for years because I'm "slow", I'm "not a team player", and I make a lot of stupid mistakes. I focus SO HARD on some small details that I've made countless mistakes on in the past, that other details often get overlooked. Anyway it really upsets me when I am called on something like this.

On the other hand, when my wife tells me that our finances are now in the crapper and our marriage is headed there as well, I kind of brush it off.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2008, 9:03 am

lionesss wrote:
I sweat both, the small stuff and the big stuff. Explains why my anxiety is bad.

Same here. I have the misfortune of being able to see the big picture most of the time, as well as all the little worrisome details that comprise it, and they can all make me quake. At those times, I try to concentrate of my special interest of the moment and that usually calms me down. Anti-anxiety medication helps, too. :wink:

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 10:51 am

I tend to make all the big, life changing decisions okay, shall I resign from my job? Shall I accept this new job? Shall I just pack everything in and go travelling? Shall I move to a different country? Yeah, why not, no problem. They seem to be much more easy, because they're usually yes/no type decisions.

But on the other hand, what toothpaste shall I buy in the supermarket when there's about 20 different types to choose from, do I want the extra-special anti-plaque or the whitening? With or without fluoride? Paste or gel? Spearmint or minty fresh? I like Kingfisher fennel without fluoride but can only get it from health food stores, so if I'm in a supermarket and can't find that, then I'm standing in the toothpaste aisle for about 20 minutes dithering about what toothpaste to get. Likewise, shampoos. I colour my hair, so do I want the shampoo for colour-treated hair? But then my hair is quite straight and flyaway, so maybe I should get that type of shampoo instead. And because it's long and straight, I want it to look glossy and shiny, so I want that type of shampoo instead. But then I wash my hair every day, so I need the frequent use type. But my hair is dark, and I'm scared of getting dandruff, so I want anti-dandruff shampoo. And ooh, raspberry flavour... that smells nice... mmmm the almond 'flavour' shampoo smells nice as well, maybe I should get that? But that's for dry hair, and my hair isn't dry, it's flyaway, but it's also colour-treated, but I wash it every day... flyaway? colour-treated? glossy/shiny? frequent use? raspberry? decisions decisions, terrible dilemmas... and at this stage I feel like my brain is about to blow a fuse! Gawd, how can buying toothpaste and shampoo be so complicated?

And in restaurants. I'm usually quite fiercely independent and don't like being told what to do. And sometimes I'll look at a menu and know exactly what I want and sometimes I just can't decide. I can usually do all those big, life changing decisions, but sometimes I just can't decide what dish to choose from a menu. Sometimes I like to take the night off from decision making and for the guy I'm with to make up my mind for me. Yet if a guy was that very old-fashioned presumptious type who took it upon himself to decide and to order for me, it would irk me. But if I'm in one of those can't decide moods, then it's really lovely to just ask someone else to make up my mind/make up their mind for me. It's such a relief to be able to stop making decisions sometimes.

AgentCROCODILE
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2008, 12:47 pm

I have the same problem. But some things are easy and some things are hard, I guess it depends on the time and place of the situation.

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2008, 5:01 am

Could have saved you a meltdown had you just eaten the chicken in the box.