Page 7 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 4:47 pm

I have been mistaken for a lot of things over they years so what are you really trying to ask. Is it whether or not you stand out from the crown and appear to be a little weird in your behavior? Are you somewhat insecure in your disguise of trying to appear realtively normal?
Maybe I didn't understand the intention of the original question.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 5:37 pm

noahveil23 wrote:
AmberEyes wrote:

I can pick up on a kind of "group spirit" too by people watching. I can tell if other people are having difficulties or there are issues to be dealt with. I look at the system of people as a whole and see what could be changed to make the system function better.

I care about people in a practical way and am conscientious. If others are having difficulties than I feel like it's my responsibility to tell people higher up the chain what I think should be done to rectify the situation. Sometimes the system's been changed for the better because of my intervention. People have been very grateful for the issues that I've brought to their attention.

This is cool, I'm kind of like this too, I get a sense of the whole organism and can break it all down. I can never see myself in any of it, though and have no idea what people are trying to tell me except for the most overt things. No sub-text, but I can see it in interactions between other people.

It's like viewing a super-organism or herd of people. When I was at school I didn't watch them in a creepy way, but in a conscientious and caring way. I felt responsible for the welfare of the group as a whole and didn't cling to one particular clique for long. I didn't understand why people didn't mix around more: didn't they get bored of seeing the same small group of people every day? It's a shame that this kind of people watching is pathologised.

I can see some of the emotion, sub-texts and interactions between people and who's with who. Sometimes I find it hard to understand people's motivations, teasing and behaviour though. Maybe because I'm female I don't know. It's initiating casual contact that I have difficulty with. I just usually wait for people to some and see me. I usually wait for someone else to initiate unless the person is alone/poses no threat to me.

I do care about people, but it's a practical form of caring. It's not the intense girly mutual grooming "get the hairbrushes and make-up" out kind of caring. I can't cope with that. I will listen to people, but I can get overwhelmed if they get really emotional and silly about things especially relationships. Some girls find it hard to let go and ball their eyes out for days instead of moving on and being sensible. I don't really understand that.

msinglynx
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2008, 5:40 pm

Lazy, selfish/ self absorbed, ret*d, gifted, naive, stupid, "eccentric", ANNOYING, dense

ferretboy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Dec 2008, 5:46 pm

my aspie wife gets complained about at least once a week at the restaurant we both work at. It's a lunch place and expensive and a lot of rich house wives come in there. They will tell the owner, a good friend of ours, that "that girl is really sassy," or, "That girl has an attitude," or "that girl's tone is really negative." These women are used to being pampered for the most part. My poor wife started crying after the 12th time she got complained about because she is trying as hard as she can. She does very good- and like she says, if 9 out of 10 people don't complain, isn't 90% pretty damn good?

Since she is quite pretty (people always tell her she looks like a mini angelina jolie- or shannon sossaman -girl from "A Knights Tale) I think women are more particularly upset by the way she looks at them -they think she is glaring at them and snobby. I noticed in high school that prettier girls were more likely to be considered snobby - they either had to be bubbly and flirty or they were snobby.

We discovered that she is probably an aspie just last weekend, told the boss today, and he knows about it from Grays Anatomy or something and thought it all made sense now, why she always drops things, the facial expressions, the random interruptions of other people's conversations with cute stories about our son (who is a cat named Cashew).

-ferretboy

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 11:03 pm

ADoyle wrote:
Shy

Bipolar-from that drug pusher with a MD otherwise known as a psychiatrist when I made the mistake of mentioning that I have relatives with bipolar disorder. The only symptom I have ever had is depression.

Absolutely. Bipolar was my original diagnosis when I re-entered the 'psych' system as a teenager (elementary school psychologist had it right... but that's another story). This diagnosis was handed out with almost no deliberation, since roughly 40% of people in my family have some sort of bipolar, and most of the rest have related conditions. The diagnosis never really fit, but, being naturally guillable as I am, I just accepted it. The funny part is that I actually stick out like a sore thumb as AS to almost anyone I know who has studied psychology in any depth.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 4:15 pm

A Zombie
An Alien
A Gorilla
A Daydreamer
An Idiot
Too serious
Too funny

These people who call us all of these wonderful thing are just charming aren't they?
*sarcasm* :roll:

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 4:23 pm

AmberEyes wrote:
A Gorilla

Wait, you're female, how could people call you a gorilla??? Normally that is reserved for big hairy guys.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 4:28 pm

Padium wrote:
AmberEyes wrote:
A Gorilla

Wait, you're female, how could people call you a gorilla??? Normally that is reserved for big hairy guys.

Yes that's correct.
I'm female.
I'm not that hairy lol. :lol:

I think that a young man at school was actually commenting on my gait.
He was imitating how I walked.
He said I walked "Like a gorilla." and he made gorilla noises. :roll:

I honestly didn't notice that I was doing this.
Maybe that's why some people said I looked "odd" playing sports.

I was trying my very best, so perhaps this walk is just something that can't be helped.

Last edited by AmberEyes on 27 Jan 2009, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 4:30 pm

AmberEyes wrote:
Padium wrote:
AmberEyes wrote:
A Gorilla

Yes that's correct.
I'm female.
I'm not that hairy lol. :lol:

I think that a young man at school was actually commenting on my gait.
He was imitating how I walked.
He said I walked "Like a gorilla." and he made gorilla noises. :roll:

I honestly didn't notice that I was doing this.
Maybe that's why some people said I looked "odd" playing sports.

Let me guess, you walk like me: Leaning slightly forward with an almost slouching posture by having your shoulders rolled forward?

Heartcooksbrain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2009, 4:32 pm

Selfish, angry, upset, depressed, hateful, intense, ret*d, stupid, inferior, I could go on...

NonlinearLuke
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2009, 4:37 pm

I've been mistaken as schizophrenic. People also tend to think I'm less intelligent than I am because of my social awkwardness. NTs tend to associate good social skills with intelligence. I think this is because the basic social skills that us aspies struggle with on a daily basis come so naturally to them. This makes them assume that anyone who is intelligent should have good social skills.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 4:41 pm

Padium wrote:
Let me guess, you walk like me: Leaning slightly forward with an almost slouching posture by having your shoulders rolled forward?

Yes a bit like that, but probably more upright.

It's interesting because one side of my family all have that slight gait (if you look closely) but not as severe.

There is one family member on that side who has a genetic auto-immune illness and he's permanently bent over.

I can't help wondering if this gait has genetic origins.
If so (and I strongly suspect so) this gait isn't my fault and it doesn't seem to go away despite all the years I've tried to correct it.

Could this be connected to AS I wonder?

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 4:46 pm

AmberEyes wrote:
Padium wrote:

Yes a bit like that, but probably more upright.

It's interesting because one side of my family all have that slight gait (if you look closely) but not as severe.

There is one family member on that side who has a genetic auto-immune illness and he's permanently bent over.

I can't help wondering if this gait has genetic origins.
If so (and I strongly suspect so) this gait isn't my fault and it doesn't seem to go away despite all the years I've tried to correct it.

Could this be connected to AS I wonder?

I should have added, I walk slightly faster than most people taller than me, and my head is facing the ground a few yards in front of me

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 4:50 pm

Padium wrote:
I should have added, I walk slightly faster than most people taller than me, and my head is facing the ground a few yards in front of me

Yep.

That pretty much covers it.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 4:54 pm

Interesting that people would comment on your walk so much, but I have only ever had iot mentioned to me once. And we walk pretty much exactly the same.... I am pretty self conscious about how I walk and feel awkward every time I notice it is different from most people's.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 4:58 pm

Pregnant, but that has nothing to do with Asperger's, that was just a random rumour that came out of nowhere, LOL.

Freaky, pyscho, weird, evil (whatever, bruv), nerdy, and a lot of other things besides.

y es como un semestre"