Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 3:37 pm

It might sound wierd but i think they do for the next things:
-Whe have post traumatic stress
-Whe oversensitive (wich may lead to huge depressions/suicidal)
-Whe almost never come outside
-lots of drugs-medication and treatments and stuff (wich can't be healthy)
and all that sort of stuff (if you can think of something extra, or prove me wrong post it please)

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 3:48 pm

Quote:

Not everyone with AS does.

Quote:

True, but not everyone with AS commits suicide.

Quote:

What does that have to do with dying at an early age? If anything it keeps you away from illnesses and potential danger.

Quote:

I wasn't aware that aspies are on a lot of medication.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 4:03 pm

UndercoverAlien wrote:
and all that sort of stuff (if you can think of something extra, or prove me wrong post it please)

I don't know that it logically follows.

I have a rather large extended family, with several people on the spectrum over several generations. Those who were severely impacted (full LF autistic or seriously impaired AS-related) did die much younger than the rest of the family. One from complications of Hirschprung's Disease, one of a cerebral hemorage, one from diabetes (Type 1), and one was hit by a car. Those who seemed to be only moderately to slightly impacted lived as long as the rest - which was well into their late 80s/early 90s. And this was in an era when the typical death ages were in the mid-fiftes to mid-sixties....

I doubt most of them had any drugs - treatments weren't really available (other than being locked away for your life in an institution). Until my generation, there wasn't even antibiotics (other than sulfa powder). There were no immunizations other than for smallpox. But, then, autism was pretty much only "created" as a diagnosis in the 1940s and Aspergers' in the mid 1990s. I know of an aunt who had shock treatments, but not why. Then again, at one point they were slapping the electrodes on just about anything that moved, hoping it would help....

Some of them never did go outside, except rarely. Two of whom I'm thinking of made it to ages 88 and 86, respectively.

If I never hear the phrase "another sensitive [family name] child" again in my life I'll be fine with it. We were notorious for being "sensitive."

Some of us had/have PTSD. Not all of us did/do.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 4:29 pm

well thats good news i guess ^^, i always thought that stress and depression reduces your expectations

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 5:25 pm

Anything that reduces overall life span would affect Aspies if it were more common... we do have an increased vulnerability to violence, including murder; and we do have an increased rate of mental illness; so it would not be surprising to find that our average lifespan is shorter. However, there is nothing that prevents an individual Aspie for living to be a hundred years old; it may just be that the few people who die early are more numerous than they are among NTs, and so the average decreases. But then again, there may be factors that increase the average lifespan--maybe we're more likely to be careful drivers, for example, or less likely to join gangs--that even things out. So far, there isn't even enough data to make a guess about anything because the known Aspies tend to be the younger people who are more likely to be diagnosed. I guess we'll have mortality statistics in thirty years or so; but until then... it's all guesswork.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2008, 8:31 pm

I had PTSD, but it had nothing to do with me being an Aspie. It was from a very abusive upbringing, and my NT siblings got it too. In fact, as an Aspie, I think I've fared better than them, because I was determined to work through the PTSD, and face everything that had happened, and work through it all systematically, with any books and counselling help I could get. It became a perseveration for a while.

I'm hypersensitive, but it doesn't make me depressed or suicidal.

I go outside. Why would I not? In fact I probably spend a lot longer outside than most people, because I walk everywhere, due to not learning to drive and not liking public transport.

I don't take any meds. I avoid them like the plague, because of the fact that my body is so hypersensitive.

(I'm left-handed though, and that apparently reduces the life-span!)

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2008, 6:22 am

I understand your point of view, all the stress and living life in the fast line, so to speak. But maybe the body have some way of handeling these things? I dont know, but I'm rarely ill, and my doc says that I have the blood pressure of a twenty years old person. I'm not an expert, but I guess the age of an aspie is like the average population.

LifeOfTheSpectrum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2008, 7:56 am

We, not Whe. [/grammarnazi]

I'm not an Aspie, but Autism, included Aspeger's, is mental. Autism is mental, not physical, so it wouldn't be a direct cause of death at an earlier age.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 8:23 am

buryuntime wrote:
Quote:

Not everyone with AS does.

I don't have PTS. I DO stress out, but that is simply because I hold so much in.

buryuntime wrote:
Quote:

True, but not everyone with AS commits suicide.

HECK, I resolved that if people want to mistreat me, I shouldn't make their lives easier by getting out of here! :?

buryuntime wrote:
Quote:

What does that have to do with dying at an early age? If anything it keeps you away from illnesses and potential danger.
buryuntime wrote:
tainly right there ALSO! EVERY sickness I ever got was because I wasn't able to maintain my environment as I desired.

buryuntime wrote:
Quote:

I wasn't aware that aspies are on a lot of medication.

Yeah, I don't.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 9:11 am

not comming outside alot will cause more depression or stress it also prevents you from breathing clean air (atleast thats what i think), i also never take meds, even though i thought that i whas going to die young (a few months ago) that was because i had alot of things (appearantly most went away when i stoped eating gluten/soy/milk/lactose so i guess its probably because of that (finely my troath doesn't hurt anymore and my stomach isn't burning all the time a.s.o.))<--because those things a.s.o. i had all my life (a.s.o. means and so on for those who don't know by some reason)

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2008, 9:24 am

UndercoverAlien wrote:
not comming outside alot will cause more depression or stress it also prevents you from breathing clean air (atleast thats what i think), i also never take meds, even though i thought that i whas going to die young (a few months ago) that was because i had alot of things (appearantly most went away when i stoped eating gluten/soy/milk/lactose so i guess its probably because of that (finely my troath doesn't hurt anymore and my stomach isn't burning all the time a.s.o.))<--because those things a.s.o. i had all my life (a.s.o. means and so on for those who don't know by some reason)

BS!

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2008, 9:25 am

I wish...

UnusualSuspect
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Dec 2008, 9:36 am

UndercoverAlien wrote:

Maybe aspies are in danger of losing brain cells much younger because they stop thinking. The real danger is in generalizing from your own experience to a large population.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2008, 9:42 am

ReGiFroFoLa wrote:
I wish...

Certainly got some kind of apocalyptical point of view. Got some more snacks?

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 11:11 am

UndercoverAlien wrote:

about the clean air - the air in my homes (except this one) was pumped through a heating/cooling system that had (thankfully) several filters. the air quality outside is definitely worse than inside! :wink:

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 11:13 am

Nan wrote:
UndercoverAlien wrote:

about the clean air - the air in my homes (except this one) was pumped through a heating/cooling system that had (thankfully) several filters. the air quality outside is definitely worse than inside! :wink:

filered air isn't good either because it makes your imumesystem weak