Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 2:43 am

I've been using it for about a day, and so far I really like it (in comparison to IE and Firefox). There are a few minor complaints, but they're insignificant in comparison to the increase in speed and absolute lack of occasionally freezing up for a few seconds (both while surfing and watching Youtube videos).

Complaints:
The bookmarks. There isn't a simple way to keep them open as a side-bar (you can only open the list in a new window), and every time you click on a link the list resets to the top, so if you're clicking on links at the bottom of the list, you have to continuously scroll down.

Just noticed, the text entry on this website (but nowhere else I've been to) is a bit odd. When you go back to correct something or add in more text, it looks like the Insert key is on (corrects itself when you highlight the text or minimize the window then bring it back up).

Anyone else have thoughts on it?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 2:46 am

For me, Chrome works in XP, but never installed properly in Vista. The layout is a bit different, and I'm not sure I like it. I didn't notice any performance boost over FireFox. I found it generally to be a bit buggy, but it's still in beta so I'll cut them some slack.

Still... How do you release an open-source browser, and then make it Windows-only? Lame.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 3:01 am

I'm currently running it on a Toshiba laptop with 32-bit Vista Home Premium. I doubt I'd use it to the extent that you would, just some general internet usage (e-mail and whatnot). Some weird things did occur during the installation, but it turned out just fine in the end.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 3:07 am

Another thing, Google Chrome seems to fix the issue Vista has had when I activate Java Script in either Firefox or IE. With those two, Vista would have to go to Vista Basic in order to display pages with Java content.

Edit: Scratch that, the plug-in just isn't installed.

Last edited by DNForrest on 14 Dec 2008, 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 3:12 am

DNForrest wrote:
I'm currently running it on a Toshiba laptop with 32-bit Vista Home Premium. I doubt I'd use it to the extent that you would, just some general internet usage (e-mail and whatnot). Some weird things did occur during the installation, but it turned out just fine in the end.

Mine simply wouldn't install, despite following the instructions to the letter half a dozen times (conservative estimate). I got it working in XP without trouble, but didn't take an immediate liking to it, and I try not to use internet too often in XP for security reasons.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 3:20 am

Hmm, perhaps you have to install in the same way I did. With six other programs running at the same time, half of which freeze up, forcing you to close them with the Task Manager. Then notice the installer seemed to have frozen too, mutter "Son of a b***h" and close it with Task Manager too, only to have "Chrome has successfully installed" pop up.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 3:33 am

I'll stick with Firefox until Google gets their act together and makes a full release. How come there hasn't been any apparent progress on Chrome since it was released? Why are there still no Mac and Linux versions? And is it really open source? Where's the dev community? I'll just assume it's not under GPL, because if it were there would definitely be a Linux port by now.

Daedulus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2008, 7:09 am

It is under the terms of the GPL I believe as defined by the Chromium page. I see Google Chrome as a method for Google to tell the Mozilla Foundation to get a move on with development and even throw a few ideas out there, as the development is very slow and in terms of performance the latest firefox beta 3.1b2 is even faster than Google Chrome.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 8:24 am

I'll stick to something I am used to in both Windows and Linux - so Firefox it is :D

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 2:46 pm

Its not available for Linux so until it is I wont be using it. I did try it with XP but found posting on this forum to be nearly impossible

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 6:29 pm

Chrome isn't as fast as it appears... it's just that it doesn't have so many add-ins.

I'll be sticking with firefox for the time being - though I'll use Chrome at work sometimes too.

I don't think Google are exactly going after the browser. I think Chrome was a way of providing some stable browser source code to the open source community without looking like you were actually helping them. Google wants the web platform and they don't care what browser you use, so long as it's stable.

--

An interesting note... I was at an IBM conference a few weeks back and Ed Brill, one of the top guys at IBM/Lotus was talking about Lotus Symphony - which is IBM's version of Open Office. It uses much of the same code-base but has fewer apps and some special enhancements. The reviews suggest that by covering fewer apps, they're doing a better job of integrating them.

Anyway... Ed was suggesting that the most critical of their products at the moment may be Symphony... why? because it was the product his boss kept asking about.

He finished his discussion by saying that he really didn't care what office suite you used, so long as it wasn't Microsoft Office.

I think you'll find that Google and IBM have the same idea. Destroy Microsoft's powerbase and re-open the computer market for everyone.

Don't get bogged down thinking in terms of their respective applications. It's their overall strategies which matter.