Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 1:25 am

Hmmm Question: What do other aspies obsess about?

I obsess about storyline, tech, and rpgs such as .hack and final fantasy. All of those are interconnected, sorta. I play RPGs because I can never get enough of the deep storylines they generally have, but if the storyline has no depth, I'll drop it and never touch it again. I love Square Enix simply because a lot of their games have exactly what I'm looking for. I also have this thing for Firefly/Serenity. The tech aspect: I pretty much sit on my computer mesmerized while I read up on some new peice of technology regardless of the field, such as these brain implants that allow people with aquired blindness to see, or the EPOC headset by Emotiv, or Intel's new Core i7. What do you obsess about, and if you can think of a reason, why?

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2008, 1:32 am

At the moment pretty much Just Doctor Who and AS (all those I suppose music since I have the same compulsion to listen to it that I have for find out facts and stuff related to my other obsessions)

Why? AS because It's finally something that fits.

Doctor Who, because I can totally relate to the character, someone who's alone, no one else is like him, and I'd love to be able to travel in time and see different world.

Does anyone find that their feeling for an obsession is similar to how people describe being in love. I tend to get a high when it comes to it, like an endorphin rush.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 1:45 am

I obsess about photography, especially shades and light in photography. I find things like low depth of field beautiful. I want to open a gallery up soon of black and white photos of children.
I like stage lights, especially those that can project deep colours but also those that have a more subtle effect. When I was setting up a stage I noticed how the light fell onto a door prop and how it gave it a nice shadow effect.
I watch a lot of film and TV for characters and meaningful story lines. I also look at the costume, even if it is considered casual wear. I really want to write my own stories and turn them into films some day.
I listen to music quite a lot. Not sure how I can explain why. I like music that I can relate to. I used to like a lot of emotional music but I've had to detach myself from those songs if I got too emotional. I like a band called Anberlin but I like some heavier music cause..well..it shows passion. :wink:
I'm obsessed with quiz books because it's a good way to beat boredom and learn at the same time.
I'm obsessed with Harry Potter because I like the way J.K Rowling writes. Every character is so well developed and she explains things without too much detail so you don't get lost in the explanation. Also, I prefer to live in a world full of adventure rather than boring reality.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 1:48 am

pensieve wrote:
Also, I prefer to live in a world full of adventure rather than boring reality.

This is why I'm a storyline guy.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2008, 1:48 am

BastetsEye wrote:
Does anyone find that their feeling for an obsession is similar to how people describe being in love. I tend to get a high when it comes to it, like an endorphin rush.

Yes. I feel like I'm in love when I'm thinking about/engaging in my obsession. I obsess about ideas for artworks and zines. And books. I like making my own books, zines, artworks more than I like looking at/reading other people's work. I just like making my mental world encroach on the physical. Also, other people's stuff is never exactly what I want, so it's better to just make my own stuff. Then, when I want to read a book or look at an artwork, I can read/look at something that I know I'll like, and that I can understand. I know, I know, I'm being very unadventurous and safe. But I need a lot of safety. I think you might be able to understand that. Because, you know, you're somewhat like me. Apparently.

But I obsess about lots of little things too. Not in a hobby/interest kind of way, but more in a neurotic kind of way. Like I'll obsess about conversations I've had and what the other person meant, or I'll obsess about not stepping on the cracks in the pavement.

/wierd>

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 2:00 am

I am primarily obsessed with anime characters. The style in which they are drawn is very aesthetically pleasing to me, and the depth of their personalities makes them feel almost real to me. Over the years, they have served as substitutes for non-familial friendships in my life. I latch onto them emotionally and mentally, and I feel a pulse of excitement and love whenever they cross my mind. However, they are not nearly as important as my family or religion.

Some of my secondary interests include:

Catholicism
Psychology
Criminal behavior
Sexual fetishism
Tropes used in fiction

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 2:07 am

BastetsEye wrote:

Yes, they're just not as complicated as love.

ThisUserNameIsTaken
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Dec 2008, 2:22 am

Obsessions are one of the AS traits that I grew out of. I haven't really had any obsessions since I was a kid. But the obsessions I had as a kid were:

- Dinosaurs
- Trains (only up until preschool though)
- Astronomy
- The Titanic (and to a lesser extent shipwrecks in general)
- Biology in general (this is the only one that's more or less stayed with me my whole life)

Last edited by ThisUserNameIsTaken on 15 Dec 2008, 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2008, 2:22 am

I am fixated on Final Fantasy Seven, and making my school notes absolutely flawless.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 2:47 am

I obsess (I will be positive and say 'intently focus') on plants and music.

I would easily spend all my time on these two things. I'll just talk about plants right now, otherwise I would type all night.

I research plant taxonomy in my spare time. I could recite you encyclopedic lists of information on just about any plant you could name. My garden is not based on "oh, that's pretty." I've arranged plants in the yard by botanical families, shared cultural traits, places of origin, etc... More like a showy and deliberate botanical garden. Except, I'm the only one that ever sees it.

I bore the hell out of people I know as I inform them about the virtues of a particular rose rootstock, or the wonders of curious tree-sized sunflowers from Bolivia, or the distinctions between the different species of Eucalyptus, or when the camellias come into bloom. It really is almost like "seeing only trees at the expense of the forest". Other people look at the whole of my garden and find it chaotic and strange. It makes perfect sense to me.

I've always communicated with plants. I intuitively pick up on signals from them, and I can reliably guess at what they need if they are not thriving. I spend time just "being" around a particular tree. I've always preferred their company to that of people.

And regarding the aforementioned sensation of getting an in-love, high feeling when engaged in said obsession... yes. yes. yes. For instance, last night there was a good full moon and a clear sky, so I went out into the garden and just walked around. Did a bit of work with the help of a flashlight (gardening does not stop because the sun has set) and then just sat and stared at the raw beauty of all the plants cast in glowing moonlight. I felt like I was on the surface of the moon at that point. Ordinary and supposedly mundane activities like planting a shrub in the ground can often become highly-charged spiritual experience for me, depending on the rhythm of things. When I work with plants, I notice that I become hyperaware of sensations, my mood skyrockets, I have tons of energy, I am talkative and friendly, and generally at my best. I go back in the house, and that whole positive atmosphere starts to dissipate.

obsessed? yeah, I guess so :)

Last edited by Acacia on 15 Dec 2008, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2008, 2:50 am

Haha talk about Boring people. There is only so much one can say about Final Fantasy Seven. xD People get so sick of me. I wish I had a broader interest like plants. or something xD

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 2:52 am

Acacia wrote:
I obsess (I will be positive and say 'intently focus') about plants and music.

I would easily spend all my time on these two things. I'll just talk about plants right now, otherwise I would type all night.

I research plant taxonomy in my spare time. I could recite you encyclopedic lists of information on just about any plant you could name. My garden is not based on "oh, that's pretty." I've arranged plants in the yard by botanical families, shared cultural traits, places of origin, etc... More like a showy and deliberate botanical garden. Except, I'm the only one that ever sees it.

I bore the hell out of people I know as I inform them about the virtues of a particular rose rootstock, or the wonders of curious tree-sized sunflowers from Bolivia, or the distinctions between the different species of Eucalyptus, or when the camellias come into bloom. It really is almost like "seeing only trees at the expense of the forest". Other people look at the whole of my garden and find it chaotic and strange. It makes perfect sense to me.

I've always communicated with plants. I intuitively pick up on signals from them, and I can reliably guess at what they need if they are not thriving. I spend time just "being" around a particular tree. I've always preferred their company to that of people.

obsessed? yeah, I guess so :)

I'm not even interestd in plants other than aestetics, but you've caught my interest. I enjoy hearing other people ramble just as much as I like to ramble.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 3:03 am

Padium wrote:
I'm not even interestd in plants other than aestetics, but you've caught my interest. I enjoy hearing other people ramble just as much as I like to ramble.

haha, yes. and notice how in this short space of time, I've edited my post to add even more rambling. :lol:

emptyenvelope
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2008, 3:32 am

WWI trench warfare, especially the battle at Verdun.
Young Indiana Jones (fighting in the trenches esp).
Turn of the 20th century Russian history.
St Paul, MN history.
F Scott Fitzgerald.
Genealogy.
Black Death.
These all tend to piggy back on one another as well. Kind of. And most do not make good dinner conversation.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 8:53 am

BastetsEye wrote:

Yes, exactly. I feel happy and excited - alive - when I'm in the grip of an obsession. If it fades, I feel empty.

I usually obsess about movies or TV. Also I tend to find that if I'm obsessed with one, I go on to become obsessed with anything connected to it - like if it was a movie set during WWII, I'd become obsessed with everything about the war and read history books for hours. So I have/have had obsessions that have been genuinely educational! :)

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2008, 8:57 am

My current leading obsession (for the past 4 years or so) is Sonic the Hedgehog. I've also obsessed forever about WWII biplanes and aviation in general. I collect bottle caps pretty obsessively, and I'm also very into Batman at the moment.

I get really drawn into characters. I love to think about them and write about them and draw them. I pretty much live in a fantasy world!