Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 9:09 pm

Postperson wrote:
Hysterectomy is instant aging, it will bring on other conditions associated with the body presuming it is middle aged, eg osteoporosis, grey hair. You're better of sticking with continuous (sub skin if you like) contraceptives.

This is second-hand info from a registered nurse, but when a hysterectomy is performed, blood supplies to the ovaries are reduced or cut off completely, depending on the extent of the removal. The results in a general "de-feminisation" unless counter-acted with hormone therapy.

Thus, you're back to those estrogen pills and/or injections.

Ladies, I do not envy you ... not in the least.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 9:35 pm

mmm I'm going thru menopause at the moment and it's yuk - hot flashes and pimples. i think i would have preferred to keep menstruating, even though it's awful, at least it's just more of the same.

my sister in law had a voluntary hysterectomy at 40 for similar reasons as the OP, just sick of the whole thing, she regretted it, she is very stooped now with osteo and she did seem to age quickly after the surgery.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 2:24 am

macushla wrote:
If they use Japanese needles I doubt if you would feel the needle, just what it does everywhere else.

I dunno. I can feel a dog hair underneath my skin and it hurts like holy hell.

Then again, I think anyone can, not just me with my freaky sensitive skin. My mom's always yelling at our dog for shedding so much.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 2:27 am

Quote:
Our bodies are natural and from the Earth - why wouldn't plants from the same organic origins have the ability to cure?

Now wouldn't be the best time to mention all of the plants that would knock out a period, would it?

(wild yam, which was the precursor to the modern birth control pill; queen anne's lace, etc)

I think it's better to just ignore you. We obviously don't think the same way.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 3:49 am

Perhaps; I just think it's sad someone would hate their body's natural process - that which makes you a woman - so much that they'd want to essentially de-sex themselves to get rid of it. It's such a nasty, modern, medicalised, patriarchal view of the female body. It actually makes me feel ill that people have been talked into feeling like that. :(

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 5:21 am

Unless anyone has ever had crippling pain from being of their period stop your bitching. I have been through 10 years of agonising pain. It would have been more had I not discovered a wonderful pill called Naproxen.
I had to miss out on so much when I got my period. Sometimes I'd try to fight it and end up in agonising pain and vomiting in public.
I tried Evening Primrose, the pill, and a complete diet change but none of these worked.
I'm glad to only have my period for three days now and have hardly any pain.

Do you people even know that it's not healthy to not have your period?

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 11:15 am

Quote:
Unless anyone has ever had crippling pain from being of their period stop your bitching.

Ding. I can't leave the house. I think the people talking about how wonderful it is to be a woman need to shut the f**k up and imagine what it must be like to be curled up in fetal position with a half empty bottle of percocet and that still hasn't made it any better.

That with the other side effects. I tend to throw up a lot.

macushla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2008, 12:44 pm

pensieve wrote:
I tried Evening Primrose, the pill, and a complete diet change but none of these worked.

Supplements, diet, and other lifestyle changes only work if they're what your body needs done.

If your body isn't deficient for the nutrition you're supplementing it with or the supplementation is too little or too much for what's going on, its not going to magically correct things.

All dosages need an accurate assessment process to determine what is going on, be that by medical measurement of the chemicals involved or by manifestation of physical phenomena.

There are people professionally trained to give nutritional and physical manipulation advice.

The fact that we fit on the autism spectrum will not be ignored in the assessment.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 1:30 pm

pensieve wrote:
Unless anyone has ever had crippling pain from being of their period stop your bitching. I have been through 10 years of agonising pain. It would have been more had I not discovered a wonderful pill called Naproxen.
I had to miss out on so much when I got my period. Sometimes I'd try to fight it and end up in agonising pain and vomiting in public.
I'm glad to only have my period for three days now and have hardly any pain.

Do you people even know that it's not healthy to not have your period?

Actually, there's no real proof to that last bit ("It's not healthy to not have your period.") It's an assumption, a personal belief, but not really supported by any studies I've ever seen.

I, also, went through years of agonizing pain every month. The equivalent of Naproxen of the era? I threw it up. After childbirth, when my hormones were scrambled and the works stretched beyond belief, the pain pretty much went away entirely. But before that time I remember having periods where I'd spend days in what I would say was the equivalent of mid-labor pain. There's no reason for anyone to have to suffer through that, these days.

I had tried everything anyone ever suggested that was available at the time - chemicals, diets, exercise, herbals, bio-feedback, meditation, yoga, ... you name it, I tried it. Nothing worked - although the pain pills (opiate based) did put a dull on the pain to where I was able to get out of bed a little bit. The first period I had after going on birth control pills was so different I might as well have been a different person. Not only was I not in a fetal position, with vomiting and the trots, for three days straight, I was able to be up and walking around with only a dull ache. That meant I could actually keep a job, as you can't take time off for your period. My daughter had a similar experience, although it took us switching her through three or four different varieties of birth control pills until we found just the right formulation for her system. She's pain free now, and considering going on the "period every four months" variety.

There are alternatives now - unless you're a masochist, there's no reason to not use them. If what works for you is to suspend your periods, go for it. You might stop taking the pill in a few years and see if your body has adjusted - it may well have - and you have less pain. That is what happened to me. Once my "system" was steadied down from having taken the pills for a couple of years, going off them left me with, typically, much less painful periods. Every now and then there would be just a killer one, but nothing like before the pill. Do/use whatever works for you and remember that there's no such thing as "one size fits all", though there are things that do help a wide variety of people.

Thankfully, I'm beyond all that now. Just spent a couple of years with night sweats, and the brain fog, but otherwise eased into menopause with minimal problems. No hot flashes (thankfully), no acne, nothing unpleasant. (Except the brain fog.) I exercise regularly, have always made sure to have plenty of calcium in my diet, and am told my bones are in great shape - the exercise seems to be important there. Hang in there, you'll all eventually get here and it'll just be a memory. :wink:

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 1:51 pm

Fnord wrote:
Postperson wrote:
Hysterectomy is instant aging, it will bring on other conditions associated with the body presuming it is middle aged, eg osteoporosis, grey hair. You're better of sticking with continuous (sub skin if you like) contraceptives.

This is second-hand info from a registered nurse, but when a hysterectomy is performed, blood supplies to the ovaries are reduced or cut off completely, depending on the extent of the removal. The results in a general "de-feminisation" unless counter-acted with hormone therapy.

Only if the normal aging process bothers you.

Quite frankly, I really don't give a hoot how "feminine" I appear and have never had a problem with "ooooold people." I'm in my fifties, and am not terribly concerned with trying to attract a mate with my wiles and charms. :wink: (Been there, done that already.) My sense of self-worth just isn't wrapped up in all that. I do understand that for some people it's quite important that they be seen as "attractive" by the general society (or that, at least, they have the delusion that they are), and that the current style in "attractive" is 'young and fertile looking,' but have never quite understood why. That's such a small part of who someone is (hopefully, anyway). My hair went significantly gray in my 30s, so there's no change there. On the good side, I am often given the "senior discount" at eateries, without asking for it. What the heck, if they're going to assume, I'm not going to turn it down! :lol:

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 2:56 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
Perhaps; I just think it's sad someone would hate their body's natural process - that which makes you a woman - so much that they'd want to essentially de-sex themselves to get rid of it. It's such a nasty, modern, medicalised, patriarchal view of the female body. It actually makes me feel ill that people have been talked into feeling like that. :(

It makes me ill that some people try to talk people into taking FDA unregulated herbs, that may end up literally killing the person.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 2:56 pm

I remember being on the floor screaming in pain as a teenager (missing school), saying "take it out!! !". My mother, in a strange fit of wisdom, sent me to the doctor, who gave me this wonderful new discovery called Naproxen (which had been used for years for angina). Before this class of drugs, some women needed morphine to get through their periods, while others were on the pill. I think the pill was originally designed to help with period pain. Today most people use Advil/ibuprofen rather than the prescription versions of that drug class.

Today I don't experience that kind of pain any more, and don't need Advil/ibuprofen, I think because of changes in my diet. My diet is not good, and I'm overweight and bleeding heavier, but I have fewer agricultural foods in it than I used to. Both my sister and I found that when we went pure stone age (no agricultural foods), our periods became much lighter and easier to deal with.

On the other hand, my mother was a super heavy bleeder. In her day, that meant hysterectomy. Some time in the '80's, they developed this roller ball technique where they partially cauterize the inside of the uterus and it significantly reduces monthly bleeding, without any of the complications of hysterectomy.

All I can say is, thank Goddess for women doctors. Odds are, whatever your problems are, there's a more sophisticated way of dealing with it than there was a few decades ago, since women doctors have these problems, too.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 3:10 pm

Nan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Postperson wrote:

Quite frankly, I really don't give a hoot how "feminine" I appear and have never had a problem with "ooooold people." I'm in my fifties, and am not terribly concerned with trying to attract a mate with my wiles and charms. :wink: (Been there, done that already.) My sense of self-worth just isn't wrapped up in all that. I do understand that for some people it's quite important that they be seen as "attractive" by the general society (or that, at least, they have the delusion that they are), and that the current style in "attractive" is 'young and fertile looking,' but have never quite understood why. That's such a small part of who someone is (hopefully, anyway). My hair went significantly gray in my 30s, so there's no change there. On the good side, I am often given the "senior discount" at eateries, without asking for it. What the heck, if they're going to assume, I'm not going to turn it down! :lol:

By "De-feminisation" I did not mean "less attractive." But without the hormones the ovaries produce, testosterone tends to have more influence. You might find that you develop a mustache, your voice lowers, your hair falls out, you stop asking for directions, and you can't seem to let go of the TV remote ... :wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 3:30 pm

They don't take your ovaries when you have a hysterectomy, not that I'm aware of. When my mom's cousin had one (for an infection a few years ago, not because she "felt like it"), she kept her ovaries.

I think they'd only yank your ovaries if you had cancer or were going through a sex change.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 3:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Postperson wrote:

By "De-feminisation" I did not mean "less attractive." But without the hormones the ovaries produce, testosterone tends to have more influence. You might find that you develop a mustache, your voice lowers, your hair falls out, you stop asking for directions, and you can't seem to let go of the TV remote ... :wink:

hee heee hee, no, actually, i've LOST the remote! :lol:

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 5:00 pm

I wish there was an easy way to stop them without having to take loads of hormones or having surgery.

I hate periods. Can't stand tampons and god those pads get so gross and stinky after like an hour for me...