Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 11:29 pm

Kirska wrote:
My husband can't use condoms.

I am not sure why. They have large condoms for big penises and non-latex condoms for those with a latex allergy.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 11:31 pm

madam_mim wrote:
Try Depo-Provera, if you don't mind shots. It's a birth control method administered 4x per year by a gynecologist. It's not usually too expensive and doesn't have more risks than other forms of birth control. I know someone who has been on it for more than a decade with no ill effects. You do, however, need to take calcium to prevent osteoporosis.

depo gave me kidney infections and UTI. once every 1-2 months for UTI and once every 6 months for a kidney infection. And racked up a crap load of medical bills.

no thanks.

Ravenchild
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Dec 2008, 7:15 am

One word of caution, however - female doctor does NOT necessarily equate to understanding this issue of pain.
I am on a combo of heavy-duty painkillers for this issue - The male doctors I had to see are quite happy to prescribe this combo, despite the issues with one of them (opiate, possibility of addiction, potential damage) and started trying to find alternatives (trying different mixes etc. - I'm their guinea-pig!) but the female doctor I had to deal with a couple days ago just said "you don't need that, don't be silly. That drug is for serious pain (why does she think I was prescribed it in the first place...?) and is not needed for that kind of thing".
Thanks to her, I have spent the last few days curled up in agony, unable to do any of the work that I need to do, unable to function at all.
Not exactly what is needed over the xmas holiday (stressful enough as it is.....)
She would not even read the notes, and basically suggested the whole situation was my fault in the first place. I guess the total abscence of eye contact, and the tapping my hand on the desk probably didn't help....
I have also considered full hysterectomy, as the range of options offered to manage the pain seems very limited.
My friend recommends the Depo injection, it works for her.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 12:50 am

I thought about depo because it's recommended for women with epilepsy (can't remember why atm, besides the pill interfering with a lot of anti-epileptic drugs, but that's not the reason), but it getting rid of my period wasn't ever a guarantee. I heard about spotting.

Granted, the spotting is just blood. It's not an actual period. Still... I don't like surprises.

And I don't like female doctors. I find them deceitful. Really, I don't like doctors at all, but women are worse than men.