If we take out the auditory processing...

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 2:08 pm

I think I would find sign language even harder than speech to process, because I seem to find visual details even slower to make sense of. And sign language is definitely a muddle to follow, especially the finger letter signs. (The bigger gestures are easier, probably.)

I don't seem to be NLD.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 2:16 pm

Anemone wrote:
I think I would find sign language even harder than speech to process, because I seem to find visual details even slower to make sense of. And sign language is definitely a muddle to follow, especially the finger letter signs. (The bigger gestures are easier, probably.)

I don't seem to be NLD.

ditto.

I think the "80% of aspies have NLD" is some misunderstanding, NLD only partly overlaps with AS diagnostic criteria...

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2008, 2:36 pm

anna-banana wrote:
Padium wrote:

I actually have problems with this at work. I often "run" orders for the guy working the till, so I am making coffees and handing them out. Sometimes they ask me why I don't always respond, and I say something like "I hear you, and I know I've heard you, I just have to figure out what you said" and "I really space out a lot and I don't always notice you've said something to me because I am somewhere else right now." Both things are problems I have, along with when making the drinks, I may acknowledge you, and then 2 seconds later forget what it is you told me and have to ask for clarification. Worst part is when I am taking oreders because so many people are so quiet, that yes I hear there words, but I just can't figure out what they said. And people with heavey accents, I probably offend them a lot, as I often have to turn to a coworker and ask them to try to make out what they said, and they get it right the first time..... I often don't get to what you said right away, so I try to match what I thought I heard you say, to what the sound of what you said sounds like in my vocabulary if that makes sense at all.

whoa, such a deja vu (I worked in a bar as well).

I used to read peoples lips a lot- I had all the drinks memorised so it was easier to just guess their order that way. then I had to repeat their order like a mantra and if someone distracted me I had to go back to them and ask again.

the worst thing for me was when people were trying to talk to me or said something out of the ordinary which I didn't have a fixed response to.

This is a problem I have as well. I don't work at a bar, but I do work at a cafe. I always switch with someone if I'm on till and it's busy, because I'll just slow things down. It's humiliating, but I just know my limitations and that's one of them.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 2:40 pm

Ryn wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
Padium wrote:

I actually have problems with this at work. I often "run" orders for the guy working the till, so I am making coffees and handing them out. Sometimes they ask me why I don't always respond, and I say something like "I hear you, and I know I've heard you, I just have to figure out what you said" and "I really space out a lot and I don't always notice you've said something to me because I am somewhere else right now." Both things are problems I have, along with when making the drinks, I may acknowledge you, and then 2 seconds later forget what it is you told me and have to ask for clarification. Worst part is when I am taking oreders because so many people are so quiet, that yes I hear there words, but I just can't figure out what they said. And people with heavey accents, I probably offend them a lot, as I often have to turn to a coworker and ask them to try to make out what they said, and they get it right the first time..... I often don't get to what you said right away, so I try to match what I thought I heard you say, to what the sound of what you said sounds like in my vocabulary if that makes sense at all.

I used to read peoples lips a lot- I had all the drinks memorised so it was easier to just guess their order that way. then I had to repeat their order like a mantra and if someone distracted me I had to go back to them and ask again.

the worst thing for me was when people were trying to talk to me or said something out of the ordinary which I didn't have a fixed response to.

This is a problem I have as well. I don't work at a bar, but I do work at a cafe. I always switch with someone if I'm on till and it's busy, because I'll just slow things down. It's humiliating, but I just know my limitations and that's one of them.

That is why I loved McDonalds, I would keep the reciept long enough to finish orders, and it made me able to keep up with most people, and after a while, even beat them in timing.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 2:48 pm

Ryn wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
Padium wrote:

that's funny cause I was actually the quickest worker, I just did everything I was asked for and didn't bother with trying to chat to customers like others did. everyone knew that I'm not to be distracted (which was hard because I was the only one who had memorised all the cocktail recipes) and frankly speaking I was complately lost to the world when I was preparing a complex order.

still though, bar/cafe work is definately not a place for spectrumers, like someone above had said, if I opened a bar I wouldn't really hire people with ASDs unless they were book keepers ;)

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 2:52 pm

I remember when I was in the run up to my final French exam in secondary school, going through the listening tape I always ended up scoring at or near the bottom of my higher-level class even though I was good at everything else. In the final exam, I did well in the spoken part and very well in the written part but only narrowly passed the listening tape - and my passing mark was due to one of the sections being a factual interview with Arsenal footballer Thierry Henry which I had already read in English.

The listening tape was always too fast for me to pick up the answers that I needed for each of the questions, and I believed then - and still do - that if the tape was in English, I still would not have been able to answer some of the questions. This led me to believe that my listening skills were impaired, and when I discussed it with my mother it seemed to be something all too obvious for her. Thankfully with most people I seem to put a good enough pretend show that I am listening, but really I am a bad listener and that's always set me back a little.

Since I'm studying maths now I don't think I have NLD, but my mechanical/physical reasoning was never great.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 3:19 pm

Both of my grandaughters were born deaf so I've had to learn signing but by and large I've found that we actually use it very seldom and that humans are remarkably capible of transmitting vast amounts of information by simple 'mime' as I call it. I understand that some autistic kids who do have language problems have had great success in learning signing so I don't think it is something to be discounted.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 3:30 pm

ephemerella wrote:
Bea wrote:
Would an aspie find it actually easier to communicate and make connections if the aspie used earplugs and learned sign language?

Yes!

Absolutely... I can confirm because I'm deaf.

it's the same with writing but in both cases, it's because less information is being transmitted.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 3:34 pm

Do you really think it is less data? I'm curious as my girls tell me they feel sorry for us who hear since they hear far more than we do.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 3:50 pm

An aspie will tend to take more of the surroundings in during a conversation... but an NT will take better notice of the important things.

eg: Talking....

What the NT Gets
- The Voice
- The Facial Expression
- The Tone
- The Body Language
- What the person is wearing
- Any sufficiently loud or disruptive intrusions

What the Aspie Gets
- The Voice
- Non-verbals in a single swoop (ie: like a movie recording that you have to watch later)
- The books on the bookshelf behind the talker
- Other people in the room
- the Flashing lights on their hard drive
- Traffic outside the house
- Nice Patterns on the person's tie
- The Logo on their glasses
- Scuff marks on their shoes
etc...

Reducing the audio significantly reduces how much we're being bombarded with.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 3:55 pm

gbollard wrote:

Reducing the audio significantly reduces how much we're being bombarded with.

all of a sudden I kinda envy you...

Fintan29
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2008, 4:37 pm

I suppose it explains my long term cases I've been having.

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2008, 9:20 pm

Heh, better get started on that then. There's a sizeable population of DHHers at my school, so I suppose I could... (fit in? Naaah, too extreme, but...)

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2008, 10:17 pm

I don't think taking out the auditory part would work for all Aspies. It would depend on how hypersensiive to visuals the person is.

I'm extremely hypersensitive to visuals, and they distract me constantly. I'm not sure I could just focus on someone's hands moving. In addition, I don't like looking directly at people for very long. Even though the eye contact wouldn't have to be there, just being in a person's energy field can be very overwhelming to me, unless the person is very serene. My husband's energy is very grounded, calm, and consistent, so I don't have this problem with him, but your average person's energy just overwhelms me totally. It's an unshielded empath thing. I can shield, but it exhausts me, and when the shield goes down, it's time for me to go home.