Being different.. Does it make you happy or upset?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CCRider
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2008, 9:43 pm

No simple answer
Everybody wishes to be like everybody else, to mingle and be accepted.
Everybody also desires to be like no other (bether than them, of couse) to win competition and praise.
The result is everybody presents to some extent a front of conformity, with some effort in fields that promise to give an advantage - and, of course, one's own weaknesses and nonconformities carefuly hidden.
This is true for NT, for AS, for everybody.
Along the years I have come to acquire the social skills and the taste for friends. I have now, for the first time in many years, a small but very good managerie of NT friends and love them.
Bit I have to manage them, I mean, I have to manage my behavior around them, not to bother them too much with my eccentricities. Of course they know I'm odd, even some kinda weird, but they do accept me.
So I discuss football (soccer) with them (it has 0 interest for me), and participate in all other themes. Some matters interest me simply because they interest them and they are my friends. Sometimes I talk also about what interests me, but only to the point that they lose interest. Them I go along what direction the talking takes.
I miss interesting and intelligent conversations, of course. But I take care of that need in sparse visits with three lifelong friends (though I met one of them quite recently) that manage to hear me in condition that I hear them.
Not a perfect life, but I think I can manage.
I wouldn't like to be a NT, it would be boring (reduced 3d brain immagery, reduced inner mental life, reduced attention span, reduced culture, but... ahem, more sex?).
A NT probably wouldn't want to be me, he'd find it too weird.
Besides, if I were a NT, I wouldn't be be.
For good or bad, I'm used to be me.
Find me no anti-AS pill, I won't use it!

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 9:45 pm

I absolutely HATED being different as a kid.. in fact my mom said as soon as my speech came in I knew I was different. I walked around saying "I am so different". But now, seeing what many "NT"'s are like (I didn't say ALL, but yes MANY), I prefer to be different. Besides.. if I wasn't different, I wouldn't be blessed with some gifts that I have. And as more and more time goes by, the older I am becoming, the more I am disliking society in general.

gogul2k
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Dec 2008, 9:54 pm

I want to be treated equally, because I'm an individual .... just like everyone else ....

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 11:19 pm

I could care less about being liked or whether I am considered "odd" as long as my talents are recognized.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 7:31 am

I don't care. It's not important whether I am different or not.

It's not determining my fundamental opinion of myself. I am sometimes angry with myself, sometimes happy, but I'm happy and annoyed, sad and amazed by a lot of other things too.

I think that this is a question that should never determine anyone's opinion of themselves, because it is one that is entirely dependant on the environment. I cannot imagine how this is meant to lead to a stable self.

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2008, 8:14 am

Both, sort of.

I like that I'm not like everyone else, because quite frankly looking at everyone else, I wouldn't want to be like them.

Before I suspected that I was AS in one of my many rants about how I didn't belong. My mum said that I just wanted to be like everyone else and I replied, that no I didn't, I wanted everyone else to be like me.

If everyone was like me though, then I wouldn't be different. So I suppose a part of me doesn't like being different. I just don't want to be like everyone else either.

That's why I like Wrong Planet. We're Different in our individuality and yet we all share a alike pain because we're different!

I've finally felt like I've met my species!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 8:17 am

I like the fact that I'm different from the mainstream. I bask in the glory of being a real-life Sid. :O)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 11:36 am

Living the Sid-drome topic

La vida loca. Viva la difference!

I am so different I am invisible. 8)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 11:41 am

Qi wrote:
As for me, I get so upset by the fact that people can't appreciate what I appreciate, and the things they do appreciate are just plain boring to me. It makes me frustrated. I can't share my fun with anyone.

On the other hand, I do NOT want to be like them.. I just want them to be more like me.. But what the hell can I do about it?

So ultimately it's just frustrating, but I don't want to change.

The best thing I ever did was get involved in the local music scene, the alternative indie scene. I sorta belonged there and wasn't treated like a total pariah like elsewhere.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 1:15 pm

Mainly happy, but occasionally sad. :P Usually I like being different! :)

SpongeBobRocksMao!