Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

lexis
Toucan
Toucan

24 Dec 2008, 8:44 am

DeLoreanDude wrote:
I'm diagnosed with AS and I'm left handed but according to my mum, when I eat with a knife and fork I use them like I'm right handed, but that dosent seem logical at all to me coz I use my left hand for my fork... Anyway, the knife and fork thing is connected to dyspraxia which I know I have.

I'm dyspraxic myself and I can't even use a knife. :oops:

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 8:51 am

mosez wrote:
Hm..Very left handed and left footed too. Strange thing is when I started to play the guitar, I did so the right way, and still do. I also shoot the normal way with rifles, but left handed when I use a pistol or revolver.

You sound just like my husband. Guitars and Guns.

He plays metal mainly (gotta love those technical solos), and sometimes he goes through phases where his inspirations are John Pettrucci, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani if I spelled that right. Other times, he's into Chaimara, Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, if I'm even getting these right, and others I can't think of. I personally like rap and hip hop, but in his music preference, I prefer Steve Vai (only because he's so weird as well as good, and you know he's probably a good dad) and Dream Theater (classical sounds). We both also agree on the Trans Siberian Orchestra. I do have a little classical piano background, but I haven't really played in years.

Doro
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 9:03 am

Just another lefty here! :)

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 9:14 am

TO FIND YOUR EYE DOMINANCE:

i.e. for aiming, but also in what eye works most all together

Point to an object. Hold your point steady. Close one eye. Open it, close the other eye. Open it. Go back and forth if need be. Whichever eye has your finger closest to that object is your eye dominance.

This exercise is best when you quickly point at something without much thought to it.

You can also do it with a "thumbs up" type hand lining your thumb to an object, but that way is a little harder as you will be more apt to get that double vision (like two thumbs or two objects depending on where you hone in) and therefore tougher to line. But, it still works the same way.

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 9:38 am

lots of lefties here...i guess that sticks a spanner in the works on the whole "autism is caused by damage to the right frontal lobe" theory as that would mean most ASD folk were right handed surely...(each side of the brain controls the opposite side's movement)

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 10:03 am

I am also left handed. Funny, I started a thread about this awhile back, although not so many people answered it: but many of the stereotypes associated with AS are also traits associated with left brain dominance, i.e. right handedness: pragmatic thinking, difficulty understanding concepts, etc. I was wondering if there was a left-handed, creative version of AS that maybe presented slightly differently? (I suspect myself of AS, but I am highly artistic, am unable to memorize facts and systems, and am better with concepts....etc.) Would be curious what others have to say about this? Since brain dominance also determines ones neurological makeup?

I think, in order to get a better idea of how many people on the spectrum are left handed, it´s better to ask the question "What hand do you use?" as the title to your post, because when you specify "How many are left handed?", I think the left handed people tend to answer. Don´t know for sure: but in my case, if the question had been "Any right handed people with AS?", I probably wouldn´t have bothered to answer at all; so this may not be a fully accurate picture.

thegirlisdangerous
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Dec 2008, 10:29 am

Yeah you are right, it probably would have gotten more replies that way :D

Just curious to find out. There seems to be a lot of people that can use both hands for different things.

I myself am a complete lefty - the only thing i can do with my right hand is use the computer mouse! :D

But i do kick (i play soccer) with my right foot :)

Aspetta
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2008, 11:18 am

I WAS lefthanded when I started learning to write, until my stupid teacher made me switch... It took me about 2 months to finally get it with my right hand and over time I lost the ability to write with my left hand, but I still do cartwheels on the left side, cross my legs left over right and fold my hands with the left thumb on top... just little things :)

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 11:26 am

I'm right handed, but I can do some things with my left hand as well. It isn't as strong as my right hand, but I can write pretty well with it.

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 12:54 pm

I'm Dexter, He's Sinister topic

And some of us are neither. But my left eye is dominant.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

noisymouse
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Dec 2008, 3:08 pm

Aspetta wrote:
I WAS lefthanded when I started learning to write, until my stupid teacher made me switch... It took me about 2 months to finally get it with my right hand and over time I lost the ability to write with my left hand, but I still do cartwheels on the left side, cross my legs left over right and fold my hands with the left thumb on top... just little things :)

I experienced the same thing - I'm a leftie but have been forced by this right-hand dominant society to use my right hand. I started to write with my left hand but was told that that was wrong, and at this point my right hand is pretty much my dominant hand.

For a little bit of time I thought that my difficulties in social situations, with sports, with keeping track of things, and my poor handwriting were due to hemispheric confusion in my brain resulting from connections being made opposite to their natural order, and tried to do everything left-handed. This has resulted in somewhat increased ability with my left hand compared to my baseline, but nevertheless the the difficulties are all still there and my right hand remains stronger.

To be fair I think that a person who writes with his or her right hand is capable of writing more quickly than a person who writes with his or her left hand because writing in Western languages goes from the left to the right, although there are ways of getting around this: for instance, writing upside down with your left hand.

thegirlisdangerous

24 Dec 2008, 3:13 pm

It is a right handed society we live in, which is why i enjoy being left handed :)

I'm a student teacher; let's just say my writing isn't the best when it comes to using a whiteboard :D

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 4:01 pm

lefty.

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 12:38 am

I am strongly left-handed. The only thing I don't do left-handed is play guitar.

PastorNate
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jan 2009, 7:00 pm

I have AS and I am left-handed!

eristocrat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2009, 7:57 pm

I'm left-handed but mostly right-footed.

I don't think handedness doesn't necessarily tell which side of the brain your coordination comes from, sometimes it can come from the same side.