Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 12:24 pm

I've experienced what appeared to be petite mal seizures since I was about six. They were at a peak when I was in my teens, but anytime I went to my GP he passed it off as a faint and blamed it on my low blood pressure. Which it definetly was not.

I mentioned this to the lady who diagnosed my AS and I'm probobly going to look into it further to be sure.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

snuuz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2009, 3:05 pm

I've had petite mal seizures since I was a child -- the very quick ones where I become disoriented for a couple of seconds. Had many EEGs as a child and though the neurologist could see the random seizures, no firm diagnosis was made. I have a Depakote prescription available to me but try to limit my use because the med will most definitely cause weight gain if taken regularly.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 3:37 pm

AS doesn't cause epilepsy, and epilepsy doesn't cause AS, but a fair number of AS people have epilepsy. I don't have epilepsy, to the best of my knowledge, but HAVE had some twitches and other things that COULD be related. ginnyisdacoolest, on youtube, as both epilepsy and AS. Some here have said the same.

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2009, 6:34 pm

My husband has epilepsy, caused by a cortical dysplasia---abnormal brain tissue--which also causes him to have AS behaviors. My understanding is that the disruption of brain function caused by an electrical storm in the brain can, over time, cause AS behaviors. This is especially so depending on the severity and frequency of the seizures, as well as where in the brain the seizures are mostly occurring.

In my husband's case, the lesion and the focal point of his severe and recurrent seizures are in the left frontal and parietal lobes, exactly where speech and language develop. It's no wonder that he has AS behaviors.

From what I have read, there is a link between epilepsy and autism. (Many doctors consider Asperger's to be a form of autism. My husband's doctors in Spain call it Autismo Asperger's.) Not everyone with autism has epilepsy, but a good percentage of people with epilepsy are on the spectrum.

www.neurointegrity.com