Gluten Free Casein Free diet Headache

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jan 2009, 10:19 am

Hi, I started this diet a few days ago. The first day was fine, I seemed very happy and very social (more than usual). The second day i woke up with a headache and it continued throughout that day along with a few sneezes. Today, Everything is fine, I feel more awake this morning than usual, which makes a change.

I only really get headaches when i'm quiting caffeine, which i'm still taking. Was I somehow addicted to Gluten or Cassien or both? It would be strange to be addicted to it as it isn't really a drug, is it? Did anyone else get a headache after quitting?

Also, i would like to mention that i have problems with ice cream and soap powder (not together, lol). Ice cream clogs up in my throat and I cough a lot with it. I also have an allergy to soap powder with the same symptoms, especially if i wash my bed linen with it. I think this allergy was caused by stress later on in life, or increases with stress.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 10:47 am

Ice Cream has casein in it. Headaches COULD be caused by a kind of withdrawal, vitamin deficiency(either DOES have Vitamin B), carbohydrate deficiency(you probably get enough). Try to replace the carbs, and take a multivitamin.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jan 2009, 12:19 pm

Hi, thanks, i've just taken a multivitamin just in case. I've been eating a lot of nuts, fruit and vegetables along with different kinds of meat though.

BoringAl
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jan 2009, 12:35 pm

If you have a sensitivity to gluten and casein it affects you like a drug and you will go through withdrawal. Some people split it up casein first and the gluten to minimize the withdrawal.

Google gluten and peptide and autism for more info. (I can't do links).

A warning from someone experienced with the diet: Gluten is in practically everything. Often it is not even listed, it falls under "natural spices" and such. Look at coeliac disease pages for info. An example is that the vitamin you took probably contains gluten unless it specifically says "gluten free" on the packaging. Anything processed or ready to eat will pretty much have to come from the organic/natural foods section of the store or a Whole Foods type place.

It gets expensive unless you can cook from scratch.

Good luck with the diet! It can be a big help for clarity and sensory integration issues.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jan 2009, 1:06 pm

I've been using this page as a guide...
http://www.talkaboutcuringautism.org/gf ... gluten.htm

It's okay, the vitamins I took are gluten free, I checked before taking one. :wtg:

BoringAl
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jan 2009, 1:49 pm

Glad to hear that you are following a guide and checked the vitamins. :)

I wasn't so careful at first and wasted a lot of effort because of it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 2:11 pm

Sounds to me like you're probably getting a cold, actually. Check your temperature. It's probably a bit high. That causes a headache easily.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 3:04 pm

Callista wrote:
Sounds to me like you're probably getting a cold, actually. Check your temperature. It's probably a bit high. That causes a headache easily.

I meant to add that to my statements. The vitamin, and maybe mineral, deficiencies can increase the likelyhood of an illness. Minerals, proteins, and SOME vitamins, are more likely to come from NON gluten sources, which is why I didn't speak about them. Most fats aren't important, and can be easily gotten from fat reserves.

Bea
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2009, 5:19 pm

also be sure that you are drinking plenty of water. By changing your
diet you could have changed your fluid intake, and dehydration can cause headache.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 9:26 pm

Or you could just be getting psychosomatic headache because you're expecting something to happen. A headache is so easily affected by your mental state that you can literally give yourself one just by thinking about headaches.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 3:13 pm

stop drinking caffeine its evil :evil: (no really caffeine can give you headache)
or it's just your body getting used too the whole diet thing (believe me, it goes
away i had too undergo the same thing, well actually biljons time harder) but still
don't try to drink it too much (i remember suddenly my arm colapsing and my heart
hurting after drinking coffee)